1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Substrate for a beginner 15 gallon planted tank?

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by Bigs, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Bigs

Bigs New Member

That is wonderful news. I was worrying myself sick for the water chemistry. Happy to know that I can now proceed without much worries.

Garuf, can you also advise me regarding keeping the tank cool in summers? Temp here reaches around 45-48 degrees Celsius (113-118 Fahrenheit) during the day. The temp inside my room where I plan to put my tank can get over 33 degrees (91 Fahrenheit) . What are the ways in which I can keep my planted aquarium cool so that my fishes and plants stay safe?

keithgh likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. cmathews95

cmathews95 New Member

hmm, i didn't think about t8's. That seems like a better solution than cfl's.

keithgh likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

They sell aquarium chillers to keep aquariums cooler than the ambient temp, but they tend to be very expensive. You may want to choose plants and fish that can tolerate the temperature swing.

keithgh likes this.
  4. Bigs

Bigs New Member

What if I keep my tank where there are air conditioners and install a good heater in the tank so that it keeps the temperature at the right level if the room gets too cold? That should work right?

keithgh likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Bigs as a point of interest what do you call cold as "Cold" can many different temperature to many members on ASW.

Eg today it was 16c and we call that a cold summers day but in the winter 16c would be a nice winters day.

Keith:):)

6. Bigs

Bigs New Member

Well, in the summers with the air conditioners in full flow, room temps can be around 20 degree Celsius(68 Fahrenheit). If the air conditioners are not on,the room temp can be around 30c(86 f) or more.

keithgh likes this.
  7. myexplodingcat

myexplodingcat New Member

I've heard about people using fans to keep tanks cool? Anyone know if those work? Never needed them personally.

If you want hardy fish, maybe platies? They're pretty peaceful and you don't have to have a certain number of them. The only thing is that they poop a lot. :/ OTOH, that might be good for your plants.

One thing--if you do get platies, get the species maculatus, not variatus. Variatus platies are less tolerant of heat.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
    keithgh likes this.