1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Stripping algae from Driftwood

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by alain, Apr 25, 2011.

1. alain

alain New Member

Hello All,

Does anyone know of any way to strip algae from driftwood? Now covered in tough hairy dark greenish mops of algae. I'm looking to return the wood back to its original condition.

Ideally no chemicals please! I'm thinking dumping the driftwood into a 5 gal and adding a bunch of snails or my bamboo shrimp but capturing him is an arduous task.

2. arjundogra

arjundogra New Member

Take a razor blade and scrape it out and wash it under running water..hope this helps had worked for me with BBA

3. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

If you are planning to take out the wood out of the scape, how about a hard bleach wash? Nothing will happen to the wood. After bleacing, wash it well and leave it overnight to get rid of the bleaching smell.

Same thing you can do with Glut also.

4. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

why no chemicals?

bleach, h2o2, and gluteraldehyde concentrated will all do the job on the driftwood outside of your tank.

these all wash away, and if you leave it in the sun to dry, they all break down leaving no trace so these are safe...

5. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Ya I would recommend some hydrogen peroxide. Since it is H2O2, any residue will naturally break down anyway.

6. Godfish

Godfish New Member

Just boil it.Most of algae will go down in the process,and the rest you can peel off without any problem.

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

or take a metal grill brush :)

8. SinCrisis

SinCrisis New Member

i just give my wood a good brushing, the algae just comes right off but it might not get rid of the spores in the wood so bleaching might be a better solution

9. aquaphish

aquaphish New Member

Pull as much as you can by hand first. After let it dry for a few days or even a week. Then take a steel or brass brush to it and start to brush off the rest. After thatk, if you don't want it to come back, and it will even after all the pulling and scraping, mix a small amount of bleach/water mixture about 20parts water to 1 part bleach and spray the wood. Let it set for about 10 minutes and respray. Repeat about 2-4 times, depending on the time you have on hand. then rinse it off under hot water. If you want, after rinsing under the hot water, you can soak it in water to leach out any bleach solution that soaked into the wood.

That should kill off all the small parts of moss and even algae that was left behind.

10. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

^After you bleach it I would probably soak it in warm water with some dechlorine-stuff mixed in.

11. alain

alain New Member

Thank you All very much for the suggestions. I will look for a extra large stock pot to boil the wood and keep you posted on the outcome.

12. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

for me, fixing bearded algae, i had to remove it, and use a razor blade and just scrape it off. tossing my tank with liquid carbon helped out too, in reducing its regrowth. bleach works, but i have never done it, regardless of the tough times of algae. with my drift wood or plants.. i just prefer not to do it personally.