1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Strange cotton wool like algae on moss ?? Help !!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cyberstretch, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

Hello aquascapers
    I was hoping for some help regarding my first setup
    I have a 10 litre nano tank with manado substrate, java moss,moss balls, a couple of plants and 6 endlers. The 6w led lamp is on 10 hours a day and the temp is 75f . The tank has cycled and the fish seem happy. I was about to introduce some shrimps but the moss and the wood are now covered in a cotton wool like algae - any advice on what it could be or a resolution. Thanks so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381223447.069928.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381223485.802303.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381223624.002474.jpg

3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Cyberstretch, It just a fungus bloom from your DW Its Harmless with time this will stop But by the look of your pics can you take out the DW and wash under a tap and put back but will help to clear up the bits on your plants if not just trim plants :)

cyberstretch likes this.
  4. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

Thanks so much Greenfinger , that is great news and much appreciated indeed. It's just I never experienced it on my bog wood in another tank log ago so dismissed it as a DW related issue. Looking forward to putting in the shrimps now - thanks again !!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

You can speed up the process

if you scrub the wood and let it dry out.

-John N.

cyberstretch likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cyberstretch

No need to be concerned about as it is a natural process it can also happen when new Driftwood is added to an established tank.

If there is nothing attached to the Driftwood it can be taken out and scrubbed of using a stiff brush even a hard Tooth Brush will work and as John stated dry it out.

I have know it to happen more often if the Driftwood has been boiled as that breaks down the outer edges of the wood.

If not leave it alone and it will slowly disappear.

Keith:):)

cyberstretch likes this.
  7. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

Hi all

It's been a good few weeks and the algae keeps returning :(
    I spoke to my LFS who supplied the DW and was told it is because the wood is still not fully soaked ? Bizarre considering it's only a twig and been submerged for nearly 10 weeks !

8. greenfinger 2

Hi cyberstretch, The harder the wood the longer it takes :( Its not the best thing to see on DW :eek: But will go in the end (y) One pic . This wood Took 16 -20 weeks :eek::eek: But looked fab in the end :rolleyes: Now i pre Soak my DW :whistle: Ho the tank is soon to be re Scaped It was just before i started on this forum :D Sorry one more thing :( Other members have said that moss ball are not good to have in your tank they can become a problem 001_zpsd8f307e6.jpg

cyberstretch likes this.
  9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cyberstretch

There is a massive between soaking and cleaning the driftwood, its just the outer surface breaking down.

Take it out give it a good hard scrub (new brush) hose it off and let it dry in the sun for a few days.

You might have to pre-soak it after it has dried out.

Keith:):)

10. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

Thanks for the hell Greenfinger - liking your tank set up, makes me want to get a bigger tank !
    As for the moss balls - I only ever heard good things, could you elaborate as to why they are a problem. U did put them in there. Mainly for the shrimps.

11. cyberstretch

cyberstretch New Member

Hi Keith
    The one thing I haven't done is dry the wood out, mainly due to there being java moss growing on it, so I just need to decide whether to strip the moss or buy some new wood and start again - a good excuse to re scape ! ;)

12. greenfinger 2

Hi cyberstretch, Same here i only read good things about them. But other members Andy& Shawn Said that it can become a problem little bits float off and settle where you don't want them :( And is a big problem to get rid of it :mad: I have already taken it out of my Tanks :( About the DW you can always take off the java fern ;) sort out the DW then replace the JF it will soon reattach its self Well with the help of a bit of fine fishing line:D

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  13. chan011

chan011 New Member

i have the same cotton like growth on my java moss in a 2 week old tank. glad to know its not algae growing on it.