1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Stores in Florida.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by brams, Jul 29, 2008.

1. brams

brams New Member

I don´t know if there is a better place for this question on the forum. Feel free to move it in that case...

On friday I go to Florida with my girlfriend to spend 17 days in the sun. We don´t have any big plans and will take the trip as it comes.

It would be nice to visit some nice Aquarium stores that have aquascaping and planted aquarium in focus. Or that is seeable in other specs.
    I also would like to know if there are any great zoo with stunning aquariums or big junglebiotopes... Maybe there is something else that I don´t want to miss in the miami-orlando area?!?!?

Im greatful for all tips!.

2. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Hello! There is an aquarium in Miami named "The Miami Seaquarium". In Orlando we have Seaworld, and also at Disney World there is an animal themed park named Disney's Animal Kingdom. In Tampa on the west coast, there is the Florida Aquarium. In St. Augustine on the east coast there is Marineland. Of these I would say Seaworld would be the most fun. You should be able to find all of these and see their features and pics by using Google. As far as stores with planted tanks, I would not know in The Miami area, in Orlando there are no good ones. Big Als' is in Ft. Lauderdale and is supposed to be nice, I have never been. Maybe our friend Orlando will chime in with some other ideas. Most stores that are decent are geared towards reef tanks that I know. Hope you have a great time.:proud:

3. brams

brams New Member

Thanks. I suppose as you say that most of the stores have seawateraquariums as there thing... But hopefully there is some shop that have a plantgeek behind the disk.
    Isn´t there someone that sells ADA stuff in that area?
    I already got som feedback from Orlando on APC, I asked the same question there =).

4. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Not that I have ever heard of. I bought mine from AquaForest aquarium in CA.
    aqua forest aquarium

5. chillaquaplants

chillaquaplants New Member

Marine Warehouse in Tampa usually has a couple really nice display tanks. It's a nice place to stop and see if you're in the area, but I wouldn't make a special trip just for that.

6. brams

brams New Member

How about green leaf aquariums?! Is that a regular shop or just a webshop?

7. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Yes, just a webshop. But the coolest one I have ever known!:proud:

8. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

LoL! :) How about going to the springs! Nice and cool 72* all year and all the plants and fish you can see. A lost wonder of the world. :)

Oh..Bring some mosquito repellent if your not use to biting insects.

9. brams

brams New Member

Darn! =), Maybe ill do an order to the apartment while im in the country, at least you don´t have to send it all the way to Sweden. But I was hoping to feel and see the stuff before im buying!

The springs... Yeah!, sounds like the place to be. But is it possible to get a location or an "adress" or am I just suppose to take the swampbus and get of at the springs-stop?!? :) Maybe some GPS cordinates or a map.
    For sure, Ill bring the protection, else Ill look like a pizza in notime ;)

10. chillaquaplants

11. Church

Church New Member

The Florida Aquarium here in Tampa sounds like your best bet if you want to see a good public aquarium. The reason being this place doesn't focus so much on saltwater, like the one in Miami, or like Sea World, for instance. It's very well done, in my opinion, because the way it's laid out is it starts off with the spring-fed pools, and shows the aquatic plants and wildlife that exist in that biotope... then as you go through the exhibit, you see the natural progression of changes to the flora and fauna as the water source makes it's way from the trickling springs, to the streams, to the rivers, to the saltwater (the Gulf of Mexico). So as you walk through the exhibit, you are seeing the different biotopes from the "beginning" of the water source to the "end."

I don't know what it costs to visit, though, since I haven't ever paid to get in there. (I used to be a supporting member back when it first opened).

12. brams

brams New Member

I just arrived to the apartment that is breathtaking in st pete beach. So far I spend a couple of nights on Key west and on the way up I was on a 2h tour in Everglades watching the gators. That was amazing!, we had a stormy and rainy experience there but it was really amazing.
    Now Ill stay here a couple days to just relax and catch some sun. But then im ready for some new adventures.
    BTW do some of you have any tipps of good outlet in this area? Mostly according clothes and electronics?

13. chillaquaplants

I'm not sure about St. Pete, but the Ellenton Outlet Mall is about 20 minutes south of your location on I-75. Just take I-275 south across the Sunshine Skyway bridge, once you get to I-75 go south and I think it's the first exit. You can see the mall on your left just before the exit.

14. brams

brams New Member

Ive been to the ellington now, it was pretty good but alot of the brands where unkonown for a swede!
    And also there where no electricstores. Im plamming to buy a Canon G9 and was hoping to find some good store...
    I think that there will be a trip to sawgrassmill on the way home.
    Thanks for all the tips.

15. brams

brams New Member

Hi again =)
    Today I visited Florida aquarium in Tampa, it was impressing with a high level of contact with the animal that Im not used to. naturally I found the mangrooves to be the best but I also liked the jellyfishtank. I think I got some good shots that I will publish later on...
    I saw a Best Buy store here next by and a Cicut City not far on the way home, is it better to buy the camera (canon g9) there os shoult I wait until I get to sawgrass mills?
    I think the price was about 499 at BB and 439 at CC,... Do you think Ill get it cheaper at sawgrass?

16. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Glad to hear you are having a nice time!:Happy: