1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Stocking suggestion for German Blue Rams

Discussion in 'Fish' started by ShadowMac, Mar 17, 2011.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I have one electric blue ram female who has been doing great for months and I would like to add more. My tank is a 37 gallon tall high tech and heavily planted. How many German Blue rams do you think would work? I've heard a range so I'm asking others. I was thinking 4 to 6, it is not possible for me to get sexed fish so I may have to roll the dice there. I have heard the inch per gallon thing isn't accurate and planted tanks can do more than that. I know for a great aquascape and photograph that a bunch of fish can be distracting, but i'm going for something that is great in my living room and fish are nice with all the plants.

Other fauna: cardinal tetras, furcata rainbows, SAE's, otos, shrimp, and nerite snails. I may like to add a few lace gouramis if I could.

2. alain

alain New Member

Rams

Hey Mac,
    I also keep rams and learned through trial and error and massive population die offs to start with quality livestock. Start with a bout a dozen young ones about 1.25". These apistos are terrirorial but I see them schooling from time to time. Eventually they will pair off and breed if your conditions are right. The ones that don't pair off just take them out. Like most cichlids they like complex environments so they hang out next to the bases of large rocks and between the plant stems or anywhere with cover wich makes them feel secure. I have java moss in one bottom corner of my tank and they love it in there especially when they feed on backworms. Water quality is the most important care aspect for this species. I vacum after daily feedings and a weekly water change of 20%, twice a week would be ideal but I'm very busy durring the week. Tankmates for my rams include schools of neons, purple emperors, rummy nose, and a half dozen discus. Hope this was helpful.
    Keep me posted on your rams.8)