1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Stock My 20 Gallon!!

Discussion in 'Fish' started by cooledwhip, May 8, 2016.

1. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

hey everyone. A friend of mine had a 20 gallon tank with a pretty old tetra HOB filter, a old, (AND RECALLED XD) topfin HT150 heater, as well as 5 Pipidae frogs that he raised from tadpoles from those infomercials on TV. pretty funny actually, considering the largest is about a foot long... Anyway. I got them out of the 20 gallon, and I went to the home improvement store and bought a 30 gallon tub. I put them in the tub, figured it was cheaper than spending money on a tank as it will just be cloudy anyway as these guys are legit HOGS.

Anyway, I wanted to know what I should put in the 20 gallon. I actually have a "species list" of species I eventually want to keep sometime. Here are the ones I was considering: German Blue Ram/gold ram, cory cat, cherry barb, dwarf rasboras. I really only want to keep a single species in this tank, as well as some simple to grow plants like swords, etc.

I don't know if the heater is a collectors item or anything lol. If I called them or something would they send me a replacement heater? Thanks

I'm free for lots of other suggestions for stocking this tank btw.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

cooledwhip

Before we can even start helping you what actually have at the moment it looks like just a second hand 20 gal tank, no filter, light, substrate, or heater/s.

Have you decided on an Aquascape to suit your inhabitants and, the plants required suitable for tank?

Or are you going to have a tank with substrate and a few plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Hey! I have the vaguest of ideas currently. It will be a little while before I set up this tank. I first want to work my way around the fish first. Yes, I only have the tank, but the heater and filter, etc I can buy later. My first priority is choosing the fish. Then after that the plants/substrate, then the hardware. Then I work that plan backwards and buy the hardware, then the substrate, then plants, then fish. I was thinking of only doing something like swords, ferns, idk. Simple plants though. I want this to be a low tech setup. I'll look at the gallery on this forum to see some inspiration!

4. keithgh

5. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

Thanks... but I was hoping I could get some advice on cool species to put in my tank...
    The website is a very cool tool. But I wanted to get advice on species I could put in.

6. keithgh

cooledwhip

That is a very personal thing we could all recommend our favourite fish and you would be more confused than before you started.

It could also depend on cost you are prepared to pay per fish.

7. cooledwhip

cooledwhip New Member

could I put german blue rams in a 20 gallon tall? I wanted 2 GBR's and some rummynose tetras

8. keithgh

9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Here is a great website for info about fish: www.seriouslyfish.com

Here is what I'd do if it were my tank. I'd do a tank with a bunch of crypts, some moss, and anubias. Driftwood and a dark substrate. I'd then go and find some cool Killifish to stock it with. Make sure you have a lid as they jump. Check out www.aquabid.com for lots of species of killifish.

Killifish are easy, cool fish, that will breed readily.

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Shawn they are certainly a great little fish to have especially if in a large school.

ShadowMac likes this.