1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Starting point Paludarium

Discussion in 'Ripariums & Paludariums' started by greenfinger 2, May 26, 2014.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, My first Paludarium :)
    Tank 18"x10"x10"
    Substrate Tropica plant & Gravel
    Lighting 2 10w Flood light 6500k
    1 piece of DW
    3 flint stones
    1 brick
    Plants So far,
    Willow moss
    HC Cuba
    Hydro- trip
    Sagittaria subulata
    Java fern
    Some pics :) 01.JPG 02.JPG 03.JPG 04.JPG 05.JPG 06.JPG 07.JPG

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

Hi Evelyn, Thank you :) Lot more planting to come ;)

keithgh likes this.
  3. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Wow! Really well-balanced! =)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  4. greenfinger 2

Hi Glomeridae, Thank you :) Added one new plant today:D Cryp wendtii brown .Bit here bit there ;) Pics coming soon :whistle:Looking for the back ground plants LH side running to the RH side Now (y)

keithgh likes this.
  5. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Hum, looks nice! I was a bit puzzled at first by the brick but it nicely disappeared ;-)

keithgh, Glomeridae and greenfinger 2 like this.
  6. greenfinger 2

Hi ptiJo, Thank you:) The Brick is there to give that side a different level. And to let plants grow a flow off and over the side into the water when i fill it the water. The water level will just be to the top of the brick ;)

keithgh and ptiJo like this.
  7. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Added Crypt wendtii brown at the front and some on the brick. Plus a small piece of DW planted with a little moss and HC Cuba in the front. Added some moss and HC Cuba to the top of the larger piece of DW :) Still got to sort out some plants for the back LH side ?? one pic ;) 09.JPG

8. Glomeridae

Beautiful evolution! =)

9. greenfinger 2

Hi All, 2 weeks later Added some more water and a couple of floating plants. The plants are doing well and starting to fill out now :) Will give it another few weeks then start on the back planting ;) one pic

Attached Files:

• 010.JPG
      010.JPG
      File size:
      2.4 MB
      Views:
    keithgh and moss_maniac like this.
  10. Glomeridae

Wahou! Amazing! =)

11. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Yeah, they look good!

12. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Love it! :)

13. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Thank you:)(y)

keithgh likes this.
  14. janey

janey Aspiring Aquascaper

It's beautiful. Incredible to see how much growth has exploded -so fast! Loving the 'brick' level too - think it gives some dimension to the scape and one would never know there was a brick there at all!.:love:

I find it fascinating to see it go from bare tank to amazing natural looking aquascape.(y)(y)

When one plants things without much water does the tank still cycle? Or does that only happen when more water is present?

Will you be putting some wee creatures in it eventually? :)

keithgh, Glomeridae and greenfinger 2 like this.
  15. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, Thank You :) I don't think it will cycle ? As there is no filter to move water around. I just do water changes of about 50% -70% weekly and add a little ferts to the new water . This Tank will just have a couple of snails in from the local stream :eek: Grandsons idea but they are easy to pick out to keep the numbers under control :) plus the poo is good for the plants :D

keithgh and Glomeridae like this.
  16. janey

Hi Roy, thank you for putting up with my ongoing , sometimes dim questions:rolleyes: and always answering, truly appreciate it!:)
    Snail's sound a good idea. Personally I like snails myself, and so far I don't notice nibbles or holes in my plants.
    Mine are mostly plant transferred run of mill brown ramshorn - millions of babies. I do cull some, guiltily :eek:...but I also don't make it my earthly mission. I have a red ramshorn that is a pretty snail - very peaceful little dude! :)
    I made an iwagumi recently in a very small tank, it's my first iwagumi effort . I kind of like iwagumi, I think,....maybe....:unsure: but part of me also finds it strange building a mini landscape in a tank. I can't decide if I am not perhaps a person who prefers sort of natural river like scapes. But I had to try!:p I could not think of anything that could live comfortably in it except snails so a breeding pair of blue ramshorns will hopefully be arriving next week. Love it that your grandson helps you out, one day he might well be a famous aquascaper!:D

keithgh likes this.
  17. greenfinger 2

Hi Janey, No problem ask as many Q as you like (y) And there not dim ;) That's how i learnt from other members :cool: Great things forums if one person does not know another will :D
    At this point we only have the "Great pond snail" He,she Well there both :sneaky: is a cool dude too :love: Never harms the plants but loves to graze on algae :cool: Blue Ramshorns sound fab:rolleyes: Please when they arrive post a photo.
    Iwagumi, You kept that one quiet :sneaky: Any photos ;)
    My Grandson loves every moment watching me and doing little bits and bobs on his own :cool: Great to watch him work and seeing it though a child's eyes and its always K I S :love::love: It wont be long and he will be teaching me :eek: He can already use a computer he is 7 :eek: Well in the next few years they will start to do there home work on computer at home:giggle: How things change:eek: Makes me feel old. Ho i am :LOL:

keithgh likes this.
  18. janey

Hi Roy

As soon as I can procure my camera back from my lad who thinks we are the local 'hire' shop :rolleyes: I'll post some pics. Right now the iwagumi is having a bit of a moss meltdown, deep joy! Hopefully it will soon recover, I hate it when things melt on me! I am thinking of doing another iwagumi to house the red fella and to get him a mate. The advantage is with the minimalist planting (which nearly killed me, how I love anubias!!!;)) one should be able to see the snails at a fast glance!
    I want grand children too to do these fun things with, even moreso reading about your bright spark. It's amazing how computer savvy kids are, my two little nieces can do allsorts on the computer and the one is only five yo. :eek: Sadly they are in Australia, I wish they were closer everyday.
    The ramshorns look attractive in the pics and I hope they will look as good in real life! When and if :unsure: they arrive and do breed I'll send your grandson a breeding pair if he wants! Hopefully that won't be too long! :)
    Hope your tank is still coming along nicely!:)

19. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Quick update:) The Sag-Crypt had a bit of die back. But all going well:) Will look round for some back planting now :) Some pics 012.JPG 013.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 020.JPG

Asthaparhim, clt, keithgh and 2 others like this.
  20. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Love the details! :love: