1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Starting point first aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by greenfinger 2, Mar 9, 2013.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith,Well i have never seen that before :) Dont give me more idear's Wife will go mad:D Thanks for info. Forgot to Google again :( Was in rush to get breakfast over and done. And little one off to school :eek: Nice to walk now as weather warming up :cool:And Nature is coming out of her deep sleep :D(y)Cheers roy

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

Hi All,Quick update :) Plants really going for it now :D W-K will be out in a week or two now as warming up over here at last;) So can start planting up left hand side of scape :cool: Cannot wait to see scape come together Here is the latest pics(y)Cheers roy 081.JPG 082.JPG

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Greenfinger

As they say LOOKING GOOD.

Keith:):)

4. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Thank you, Scape coming on well now:D Cheers roy

5. greenfinger 2

Hi All,Update time :) Have started to plant up LH side Of Scape ;) Love the DSM :cool: But does take some time:whistle: Well a long time in my case :whistle::whistle: :D But it is starting to come together;) :giggle:(y)Cheers roy 007.JPG

WetElbow, Flo, nick.scott and 5 others like this.
  6. keithgh

Roy the back RH corner looks empty what plans do you have for that small area?

7. greenfinger 2

Hi All 1st Thank you Keith - Ohly- ghostmonk- Asthaparhim-Stevo-nick,scott-Flo- WetElbow:) Keith,RH corner Some tall flowing plants don't Know what one's yet :unsure:(y)Cheers roy PS maybe Eleocharis .SP?

8. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Roy! Looking good buddy. The brilliant thing here is your planting. I've followed this journal and have noticed that your planting has become much more natural. All in a relatively short period of
    time too! I love that you don't 'section-off' plants, and instead 'blend' them as you would see in nature. For me the best example of this is here:

[​IMG]

Getting driftwood to work well is a difficult thing for me. I would feel much more confident with an Iwagumi at this early point in the hobby. I don't have the space to store / soak a sizeable amount of DW so I end up just trying to do my best with whatever pre-soaked DW I can get. I think it takes time to develop the skills required to walk in to a supplier and choose pieces that really work well together. I'm feeling that you will definitely be able to teach me a thing or two by the end of this project though!

Flo likes this.
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi Glenn, Thank you for your kind words:) I try to plant up like Mother Nature A bit hear a bit there ;) As to DW am always on the look out for nice bits but Can take a long time to find them :( Then you find two or three in one go :D Funny that And all ways when you have just paid all the bills:mad: Nice man at LFS puts them aside for me :cool: Have learnt all i know about Asquascaping from ASW I love this site :rolleyes: And the AquaScapes people do on here are jaw dropping:love: Thank you for following my Journal (y) Regards Roy

10. keithgh

Glen

I think you will find that Roy is taking things very slowly seeing how it develops.

At the moment I would say Roy would be extremely happy the RH side has developed.

He now knows what works and what does not work and as you can see there are plenty of young plants on the LH side already.

If you saw how my 75cm tank developed you would say the exact same thing as it was very bare in the foreground, the reason being I had to wait two years for a particular plant from the grower.

Another plant it took me about three years to locate.

That tank is very much like nature open spaces and under a shaded tree.

In summing it all up Roy has worked very hard to get to that stage, I can assure you its nothing like what he originally did in his early aquascapes.

bradster and greenfinger 2 like this.
  11. GR1KTR

Hi Keith,

I agree. I think that slow and steady is the way to go. When I first started I tried to rush from one thing to the next. I find that I get much more enjoyment doing things at an easy pace, just like Roy.

I've seen some of Roy's earlier scapes and totally agree that he has improved immensely in a short period of time. I'm sure that it won't be long until people are coming to him for advice.

Go Roy!

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  12. GR1KTR

Hi Roy,

Are you still going with taller plants in the back RH + LH corners?

How do you think it will shape from here?

When are you planning to flood it?

Sorry about the 20 questions - I'm keen to see how you're going!

13. greenfinger 2

Hi Glenn, 1st one tall plants at the back LH-RH sides yes think will stick with Eleochars,SP;) 2nd Gave the RH side a trim then planted trimmings on the LH side:)Hope the LH side Will catch up with RH side? Still plenty of time:whistle: 3rd ?????????:LOL: Maybe 2 or 3 months :cry: But will get there in the end:rolleyes: Not a prob about the Q ask away mate :) (y)Regards Roy

14. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Now that i know how long it takes to develop a Scape :whistle: Started to think about my large tank layout. L 36"x 18"H 15"D :) And was thinking something like this;) See pic (y)Cheers roy 005.JPG

keithgh likes this.
  15. keithgh

Roy

[​IMG]

I suppose you were waiting for this.

Getting into the BIG stuff now?

I have moved it all together as in an Island type

By just rotating the back piece now its pointing to the end of the flow instead of away from it

The little piece was all alone so I tucked it under the long twig.

You can either mound it up on the natural rocks you have been using and a finer rocks every where else.

Planting KIS and you have another winner.

I like it already

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  16. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Yes have been itching to start this one;) Island Scape was what i was thinking :) The changes you have made Love them :rolleyes: Looks like a few trips down to the stream to get some river stones :D And as all ways will follow the KIS rule :love: Will start this one as soon as 1st Aquascape is up and running ;) Thank you for you help and advice :cool:(y)Regards Roy

17. GR1KTR

Awesome Roy! Great to hear that things are coming along well. I was thinking hair-grass for the LH / RH too.. can't wait to see it in, will really add depth.

18. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Like ;). Right side looks very natural! Keep it up.

19. greenfinger 2

Hi Flo, Thank you;) (y)Regards Roy

20. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Started to plant up LH side at back with Hydrocotyle Trip, Think this will look good growing up and flowing out from behind DW Will have to do regular trimming to keep shape and form ;) Getting Exited now flooding not far off :D Regards Roy 002.JPG 003.JPG

nick.scott and Asthaparhim like this.