1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Starting point first aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by greenfinger 2, Mar 9, 2013.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Keith, like new name:LOL:yes do have photoshop but new to all this lots to learn :D and yes having lots of fun with the new way of doing things love mucking about :)(y) used to do a lot of fishing;) but dont have the time now +cost of of everthing:cry: so well happy to do something at home in the warm and dry :LOL: cheers roy

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I used to do a lot of off shore and inland fishing in the tropics of Aust and that can be very expensive.

But my eyes are now effected by the glare and heat so I enjoy my tanks more now

Keith:):)

3. greenfinger 2

hi Keith,i know age gets us all :D have looked around ASW but no pic of your tanks :( or maybe i missed ;) could you post a pic (y) as would love to see some of your aquascapes cheers roy

4. keithgh

Greenfinger I only have two tanks, the 5ft was Aquascaped BUT it cracked and replaced twice then came the big change an Aquascape of a tank of Anubias so I could see all my Clown Loaches, Hoplo Catfish, Silver Sharks and Bristle Nose Catfish

I set out to something special with the next tank a 140lt Jebo Bow front.
    A rather large Aquarium forum publish a Calendar and last year they asked if they could use a photo of my tank.
    The original forum photo was to small that meant taking over 50 photos selecting 10 good ones for them to chose from no editing or Photoshop required.

I have taken out all of the Crypt nevilli front of tank (as it was getting too tall) and I am in the process of replacing then with a harder to grow Crypt parva it is the smallest of the Crypts, I just bough 40 more to fill in a space 15cm x 3-4cm wide and I am hoping I can grow on at least 80-90% and I will be very happy.
    [​IMG]
    The Jebo tank shrimp and Micro fish
    [​IMG]
    Placidity as it is today as you can see it was practically stripped bare.
    [​IMG]
    Before the cracked tanks and a full rescaped for the fish not as an Aquascaped tank.

I only entered it in one competition and I was luck enough to win that, them I became an unofficial Aquascape Advisor

WetElbow and Vitin like this.
  5. greenfinger 2

hi Keth, love the planting DW love it crypy parva will look good:) in that space (y) love the leaf shape (y) one of the ones that keeps true leaf shape after planting have some want more;) but have runners of mine as been planted for about 8 months now slow start but good to see:D hang on i sound like i am giving you advice:ROFLMAO: am starting to understand the the meaning of aquascaping to do something aesthetically pleasing to the eye one look and then look again you are hooked:D bit like fishing ;) thank you for sharing pic ;) that was not luck to win competition but understanding what you wanted from your design & concept from the start (y) ho no there i go again:LOL: cheers roy

6. greenfinger 2

hi all ASW i have been thinking about planting for 1st aquascape and want to keep it simple;) so far plants are/moss /java fern anabus nana pettit on DW +DW RHside in pic has planting hole in middle so am planting hydrocotyle tripartita hope will grow over side of DW /sub- st planting / ranunculus ingndatus /cryp pava sag subulata/ cryp wendii green/ lug ripens 1 or 2 banana plants/[ and 1 or 2 taller plants at back?] will up date as soon as poss waiting for the plants to grow in larger tank more time to think and plan :whistle: cheers roy

7. greenfinger 2

hi all quick update am using aquascape tank to house Wabi-Kusa for a time;) but found out that one of the plants i got for W-K is HC cuba . so am going to try DSM with HC cuba as lights temp humidity all ok for Wabi-Kusa a 067.JPG nd DSM if HC cuba takes off will plant up more :D kill two birds with one stone (y)cheers roy

8. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

Great to see the first plants in there :). Take care keeping the substrate wet.

Cheers
    Flo

9. greenfinger 2

hi Flo, yes is nice to see some green in there instead of in minds eye and will keep sub/st damp ;) feels like its coming together now but no hurry(y) cheers roy

10. greenfinger 2

069.JPG hi all quick update on DSM all going well HC cuba putting down roots and growing so have added some Lilaeopsis nova zea ? see pic no label on pot and guy said i dont know :( LFS useless for info(n).plus added some moss to DW :D DSM like this idea View attachment 5079

11. greenfinger 2

12. Flo

Flo Aspiring Aquascaper

It is lilaeopsis brasiliensis ;)

13. greenfinger 2

Flo thank you (y) so many look the same :D cheer roy

14. greenfinger 2

hi all , started DSM :) HCcuba doing well just planted Lilaeopsis brasiliensis looks ok so am going to try DSM on cryp pava as have some in other tank looked good but no runners as all in a clump so have split and divided into stems and planted :unsure: lets see what happens (y) cheers roy 071.JPG

15. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

mate coming along nicely! What substrate are you using?

16. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Back lighting looks cool. If you can fade your normal tank lights to that in the evening that would be an awesome sunset.

I agree with Flo that the path is too straight but like you say you can fix that with planting probably

Lindsay

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  17. keithgh

Roy
    My major concern is all the reflections and what looks like moisture on the glass.

Wipe the glass with plenty of dry kitchen paper and take the photos from different positions and try to eliminate all the glare.

That tank will certainly improve as it ages and the plants all go their own way.

Keith:):)

18. greenfinger 2

hi Adam. thank you:) it is coming along now am using tropica plant mix with gravel and black sand on top am going to put some more at back too make a little higher LH &RH sides (y) cheers roy

19. greenfinger 2

hi Linds, thank you:) i like the idea of back lighting as you said when tank lights are down or off it looks cool :D an will sort out that path;) buy the way did you find your lost KH:) would love to know where it went:LOL:cheers roy

20. greenfinger 2

hi Keith not the best pic i know:( will clean glass next time;) moisture builds up over night i wipe each morning and let some fresh air in before lights come on(y) and think planting is really coming on now when Wabi-Kusa comes out will plant up LH side DW in larger tank doing very well to so all ok (y) cheers roy