1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Starting a new tank, need advice on substrate

Discussion in 'Substrate' started by Roryf, Oct 25, 2016.

1. Roryf

Roryf New Member

Hi,

I am starting up a new tank (Aqua one 400). Which is a reasonably large footprint concidering the prices of 9L of substrate is around £30!

Does anyone have any sugestions as to how I can build up a rather good thick base of substrate without having to rinse my bank account!

i have seen a substrate called Manado, which is would be happy to use. but does it offer a good enough nutrient base to grow a nice HM carpet or Monte Carlo.

Buying power sand is just out of the question due to price, and I dont really want to go down the dirt route.

Would it be a case of buying a certain type of fertaliser that i put in the bottom and that is sufficient along with Manado?

or can I use a cheap substrate and just cap it with a 2" layer of a good aquascaping, nutrient rich carpet?

I have powerful LED lighting that is dimmable, and I plan on buying a pressurised CO2 system once the dry start has been carried out.

Thanks in advace.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Roryf

This has me confused you planning on buying a Pressurised Co2 system yet you do not want to spend extra money to buy a quality substrate.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Roryf

Roryf New Member

well filling a 4 foot tank with 4 inches of premium substrate is going to cost me an huge amount of money, so if i can use Manado along with some kind of fert, then why wouldnt I!

Or if I can use a cheap gravel and just pack over it with 2 inches of premium substrate then I am happy to do this, but spending £200 on substrate is out of the question for me.

I hav used akadama before with a JBL proflora pressurised CO2 system and managed to successfully grow plants.

4. keithgh

Roryf

4ins -10cm is deep 3ins -75mm should be OK and cut the costs considerably.

5. Roryf

Roryf New Member

Keith,

I have done some calcs based on my tank dimensions

48" x 20" x 3" is = to 5.2 bags of ada aquasoil (Probably best to go for 6) which equates to around £150 for me.

however could i use 2 bags of just normal rock substrate at the bottom of my tank to keep costs down? i would use it at the back where I would be planning on having 4" of soil ( maybe 1.5" stones and 2.5" ada aquasoil ). this might drive the cost down to about £100 which i could tolerate.

Please let me know whether you think this is a good idea or not! your advice is appreciated.

6. keithgh

Roryf

I have always had low tech tanks and used 1-3mm natural gravel usually about 8-10cm deep.

Plants require a good substrate to grow in I personally would not use layers unless you are not going to have deep rooted plants or attached to DW etc.

When using layers it can be very difficult to do a deep gravel cleaning if and when required.

When planting/replanting the layers could easily get mixed and be seen on the surface.

Its your tank making it your choice I would not advise you either way just give you my opinion from experience, other members could easily have different options.

7. Roryf

Roryf New Member

No, thank you for your opinion Keith.

I have just ordered 6 bags of ADA aquasoil. which is 54L of soil. i think this should be adiquate enough!

Thanks, Rory.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh