1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Sprouting New Growth

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Outrageous_guppy, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Outrageous_guppy

Outrageous_guppy New Member

So I've noticed my water sprite and rosette swords have more growth on them. The rosette has a stem growing out from the center and the sprites have roots and leaves coming down. Advice? 0412171559c_Film1 (1).jpg 0412171559b_Film1 (1).jpg

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Outrageous_guppy

Its a pity the photos are not clear enough, as a start a clean glass would have helped.

Why are the plants in Terracotta pots instead of a Substrate?

I can see a white rock what is it?

Did you do a Vinegar test first to check if its safe for your Aquarium?

What are all the (white spots) on the plant leaves?

Keith:cat::cat:

3. Outrageous_guppy

I put the plants in the pots (filled with substrate) because I felt it made my tank look better. The white rocks you see are actually natural shells I'm using as weights for the hornwort. The white spots on the plant leaves is just sand that my fish kick up.

Not sure what the vinegar test is, but I always soak everything in a 1:4 vinegar water mix for a day before letting it anywhere near my tanks.

Sorry for the bad picture - but I can tell you that all the water sprite have grown more new buds and longer roots while the rosette sword's stem keeps branching upwards.

Thank you,
    Outrageous_Guppy

4. keithgh

Outrageous_guppy
    Do you mean like this rosette sword plant.
    This looks like a very healthy plant
    upload_2017-4-19_12-27-23.jpeg

Its a pity you can not post a clear photo.
    Which Water Sprite do you have the floating with a heavy root growth or the thinner stem plant.
    Once established both grow like weeds.

They are possibly lime as well small safe rocks are the best to use.

Very sorry to tell you it does not it looks like a special tank for on growing plants not an Aquascape

This will explain and show you how to do the tests.
    All that the fizzing means is that the rock contains carbonate or bicarbonate in some form (usually Calcium Carbonat, CaCO3). This is not really a problem. All it means is that the rock will buffer your pH to 8.3, which is perfectly fine for 99% of fish and is actually preferred by many. This rock will also help keep your pH more stable, reducing fluctuations and drops or rises.

5. Outrageous_guppy

The picture of the rosette sword you posted is indeed the type I have, the picture I took I left it mostly out of frame because I wanted to show the stem. I have the thin stem water sprite, but along the leaves at the top, more leaves sprouted and are growing roots

6. keithgh

Outrageous guppy

I only grew the Floating water sprite, what you are saying sounds perfectly normal, over a period of time it looses its lower leaves then you can trim the tops for propagating.

The Sword is a fast growing upwards plant that can also have side runners which form new plants.