1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Spiderwood and driftwood

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Nigel95, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Keith

Is my platform of lava rocks to high to make a Nice scape? Doubting If I need pieces with more height or just create the height with the lava rocks. Currently the right tree starts at a height of 9 cm build op on black support and lava rocks. The scape of inspiration seems to start much lower.

Planting is going to be a hard thing. Not sure what I will do super glue, cotton thread or the yoghurt method. All have their pros and cons. [​IMG]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel

That is a Yes No answer. I would leave the RH side alone as its a good mix of rocks and looks natural

The LH side I can only see large rocks it looks odd compared to the RH side. Use similar rocks as RH end.

Then there is (at the moment) nothing to link every thing together. As a start I would make each of the ends wider towards the centre. I would also move the DW on both ends more to the centre.

Tim is also thinking about plants on DW he should be able to assist you when you are more advanced in your hardscape.

Keith:cat::cat:

Nigel95 likes this.
  3. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

I agree with every single thing from Keithgh here. The RH side looks great, the LH I think needs something more. Now I'm by no means great at creating scapes I'm learning and fairly new so I don't have a recommendation just yet. But personally I'd try at least one additional dw and also bring both sides closer to center. Not by a lot but I agree it would be beneficial to do so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

keithgh likes this.
  4. keithgh

sfsamm

Over the many years on Forums I have seen Aquascapes made by experienced fish keepers and had not the faintest idea of how to Aquascape. Just because you are a beginner like many other members does not mean you do not have a good eye for design. Some have a great eye for design long before they start Aquascaping making it very easy for them while some have to work very hard to get to that level.
    You never stop learning.

Often its that little change that can make an average Aquascape to an excellent Aquascaper.

5. Nigel95

So I have been playing around with some spiderwood that I bought. Right half is higher due shorter pieces (to reach top). I really like the trees on the right but not sure if they are distracting to much from the trees on the left. When I look to the trees on the right my eye leads to the path. If I look on the trees on the left my eye doesn't lead to the path. Critique is welcome :)

For attaching the mosses the yoghurt method seems the best way for this scape. Although my trees are sticking out of the aquarium so not sure if I can wrap foil around that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  6. keithgh

Nigel

I re posted this photo as its easier to look at.

In my opinion both sides are looking very good. It's those tall thin pieces at the back that concern me, they appear to be in a straight line and all the same height. The piece on the right will get lost in the planting, move it towards the centre of the other two. Actual location one third from the thin piece on the left. Re the height I do not want you to cut them at the moment tape a piece of the same cardboard on the tops at different heights to see how it looks.

I am hoping it might help to link the both sides together a little bit more.

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  7. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

There's a skinny one way in the back left hand side center and then not my opinion it's completely distracting. I immediately notice it and can't stop noticing it. I assume it's not your focus but just my personal observation. Maybe it's to straight comparatively. I very much like the right side all gnarled and awesome looking but the left has a much different appearance, stockier, thicker but more streamlined pieces. I think planting could totally make the difference. But as I'm not exactly sure where the scape is going, I'm not sure that works.

I also think that other than the skinny stick in the back left center you have gotten great depth with your choices! Well done in my opinion! :)

Nigel95, kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  8. keithgh

sfsamm

Yes the two sides are different and so is nature. If they were the same it would be a very average Aquascape.

The two thin pieces on the left are distracting only because they are straight, all the same shape and thickness.
    The RH one will look totally different once the other two are replaced and not spaced evenly.

Planting will completely change the Aquascape.

Nigel95 likes this.
  9. Nigel95

Added a bigger tree in the back on the left.

Played some with the small trees around the path. Removed the very tiny straight tree it looks bad yeah.. Still not 100% confident about the small trees. Problem is I looked at all shops (that are nearby) for spiderwood 'trees' and the shapes i'm looking for are rare.

The hardscape isn't finished but any help on planting would be nice. Did a little bit of research and I am probably going to mix fissidens fonatus with riccardia chamedryfolia. But the scape would look pretty boring if I only use this on the rocks, at the bottom of trees, and a little bit on the trees. Right? Maintenance is going to be a PITA due all the trees standing up. So slow growers would be the best idea I think. Java moss is also a good attacher to hardscape but not sure how it is going to grow in a high tech tank. Maybe some Cryptocoryne parva mini in the front or littorella uniflora (removing some lava stones). Not sure how much soil this plant needs? As in the front I would only like a layer of ~2cm. Maybe some Hydrocotyle sp. "Japan in front of the trees (but I would have to remove some lava stones to create space for soil plants. To create some depth I could use java moss / taiwan moss in the front on rocks / trees and fissidens fonatus with riccardia chamedryfolia in the back. Any inputs on planting would be nice :).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    kabriolet likes this.
  10. keithgh

Nigel

Would a few moves and adding a some twiggy bits like this make it or dislike it?

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  11. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

I finally looked up some info on the inspiration scape, this will be a gorgeous tank! I'm very much a fan of fissidens and have been waiting for a reason to use it myself. You are well beyond my visionary scope. I'll have to bow out of adding planting opinions as I just keep trying things until it works out how I wanted it.

Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  12. keithgh

sfsamm

The more you learn and practice you will be designing a master piece on day.

sfsamm and Nigel95 like this.
  13. Nigel95

Keith thanks for your advice but it didn't look really nice IMO.

Sniped a few little trees can you spot them :)

Think I am going to break down my Iwagumi in a month or so. To pumped for this one to set up lol..

My eye leads to the path when looking on the right. When I look to the left it goes into the trees. Would this be to 'busy' for a 80x40x40 cm tank?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

Nigel
    I think you have done the very best you can, I can only see one maybe it will work. The second twiggy piece from the RH end, can you rotate it to point to the left and see how it looks.

Next step take plenty of photos and reassemble it in your tank, remembering once planted it will look totally different. I would not say you had a pathway more of a shallow gully.

15. Nigel95

Keith

It will probably look a little bit different once in my glass tank. As time will come I would like to post a photo before planting. Hope you can help me out then for the last finishing touch.

Only thing is How much soil should I add in the front. The inspiration tank looks like a thin layer but 2.5 cm is way to less to plant in. Idk If 4 cm would look nice?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  16. keithgh

Nigel
    It would be a pleasure to help you.

Now its gone from a like to a practical with a reason. Shallow rooted plants you can have 4-5cm safely but if you are having deeper rooted plants 7-9cm.

Next concern would be a deep substrate at the front would mean the height of the substrate at the back of the tank would be higher.

Nigel95 likes this.
  17. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

I think the design is phenomenal. I like the replacement for the stick removed from the back left center. Much better, much less distracting. I couldn't pin exactly what you've changed otherwise but I think you nailed it!

As for soil levels in the front, any carpet plants will do fine in 2.5 cm of good soil, mosses can also utilize it well. As for the crypt var you mentioned previously you may encounter more trimming for their roots that sprout up but I think if properly placed and good maintenance and ferts (possibly even tabs) you can get away with using it easily enough. The trick will be finding something small enough that roots very shallow or is hardy enough with deeper root systems that can utilize tabs and remain small enough via trimming or natural size not to uproot itself in the shallow. Ultimately I think even that leaves you with a fairly wide variety of choices, just might take a little more research.

I don't know if you had considered any buce but I can see it being something I'd consider and it would be one that may work in the shallow soils also. There are about 600 varieties of it too. Although some are pretty hard to come by.

Nigel95 likes this.
  18. keithgh

sfsamm

I fully agree every thing depends on planting personally I would choose the lowest plant at the front that will suit Nigel's growing conditions.

Another point too many varieties of plants would make it look like a green garden salad. Tall plants will hide all those twiggy pieces of DW. To get the effect of Focal Distance plants must be very carefully chosen and placed. The wrong plants or too many plants will make Nigel's tank look like just another Aquascape.

From now until the planting is finished every detail must be very carefully planned.

Nigel95 and sfsamm like this.
  19. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

Absolutely agree with you there! I'm not very visionary on plant placement myself. It takes me a long time to get them right. And usually many many changes too.

Nigel95 likes this.
  20. Nigel95

Oh damn it's so hard to choose the plants.

For now I am confident on the following species.

Riccardia chamedryfolia (mini pelia) mixing with fissidens fontanus with the yoghurt method and dry start (in the back of the scape and on the trees)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Little Problem riccardia chamedryfolia requires high lighting. I want to put my light intensity down to get less algae and a more dark look in the forest.

Some monosolenium tenerum (pelia)
    In front to achieve depth as this is bigger than mini pelia and fissidens fontanus.
    [​IMG]

Cryptcoryne parva (max 6 cm) few dots in the front
    [​IMG]

Beside that I want a little bit of a bigger moss species to get the depth effect. Java / taiwan moss will attach good to plants but idk if this is doable with maintenance in high tech tank. I want to turn my light intensity pretty down to get a darker effect but have to watch out that riccardia and fissidens will survive.

Not sure about the balance I don't want it to be boring but also not to much.

Considering species
    Littorella uniflora
    [​IMG]
    Micro sword
    [​IMG]

Rcanunculus indundatus (can grow up to 5-10 cm) prob to high and to fast growth.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017