1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Spiderwood and driftwood

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Nigel95, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Nigel95

Nigel95 Aspiring Aquascaper

Can one combine it and still maintain a natural effect. Are the colors much different once it is under water for a while?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Sponsored link:

2. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

It very much depends on the types of wood. Spiderwood and manzanita are nearly indistinguishable after a while. But mopani wood and spider wood will look quite different. I have a chunk of unidentified (I'm almost 100% confident it's Malaysian dw) that would not work well with manzanita or spider wood. It's definitely more of a chocolate brown vs manzanita and spiderwoods reddish tint.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nigel95 and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Nigel
    Can you soak both and post a photo please.

In nature colours are mixed but in a small area such as your tank it could be very noticeable. Then again if you are using them as a base to cover with plants it does not matter at all.

Most woods do change a little as they age in a tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

4. Nigel95

Well currently I only have Spiderwood but I think I need some driftwood to achieve the tree results. For example most Spiderwood parts are not thick enough to create the strain. See pic what I want to create.

So best is to stick with Spiderwood and try to find pieces like that?

Not all wood will be full covered.

wood.jpg

kabriolet and keithgh like this.
  5. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

It actually looks to me as if they used more than one type of driftwood in that scape. The right side the color difference is especially pronounced.

I think that whomever put that scape together did a phenomenal job at creating the illusion of distance! I've see similar scapes but the illusion created by this one is fantastic!

6. Nigel95

It's some great inspiration for me for a future scape If I'm bored of my current scape. In the meanwhile I would like to collect some wood to make such a scape. Best is to stick with manzanite and Spiderwood I guess.

7. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

Manzanita is pretty easy to find in stumpish pieces. It's the branches that can get unruly lol I usually buy a good stump piece then sit and saw away with my dull little hand saw to make it work for me lol but I still have to be a bit picky and make sure I can utilize at least one wide with minimal trimming. The cut off branches often end up really pulling things together for me but I've never done anything like this and have just recently started to venture into really planned and structured tank designs and aquascapes.

8. keithgh

Nigel
    The illusion of distance is the easy part its just a mater of collecting the correct trunk pieces. To me it would look like an old forest and vines growing up and over the stumps.
    That would make the vines a lighter colour as they are alive.

The finishing trick would be the further back you go the thinner the vines as well.

The same for the stones the further back the smaller they become.

It also does not look like the standard depth tank.

9. keithgh

kabriolet likes this.
  10. Nigel95

Exactly what my plan is! Going to use some lava rocks as they are easy to cut to the right size. Finding the right wood is going to be a long but fun journey. First I wanted to make a scape like this. But 1) it is very risky with stacking stones for the glass. Also If using epoxy you make a lot of mistakes and need a ton of stones. 2) finding/cutting pieces to fit the stones is hard. Also making the connections in the air is not easy.

I like the forest scape in my previois post also and it seems easier to pull off.

Hopefully I can achieve a nice path of depth within a 80x40x40 tank.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. Nigel95

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  12. keithgh

Nigel

When looking for info on a photo it pays to do a Google Image search.

Think it as a Design problem not an Aquascaping problem
    Close to the glass would not be a problem do not think about the Aquascape think about the contact glass and rock. A protective barrier is all that is required easy, a 5-10mm soft spongy rubber glued to the contact surface of the rock then very roughly shaped to the rock.

OK BUT I can hear you as you read this as you would be photographing from the front cover the end and back of the tank with the black contact Vinyl as used for books.

13. Nigel95

Just a quick shot of the Spiderwood I have. This are the relative thick pieces. Not sure If they are thick enough for a forest scape? Should I try to get bigger ones or will this one be Okay If I get more? Maybe manzanita will be thicker. Thick Spiderwood pieces are rare I guess.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    keithgh likes this.
  14. keithgh

Nigel

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Most important remember "the illusion of distance" thicker at the front and thinner as you go towards the back.

That is a great mock tank you have there, it looks very easy and certainly safer than in a glass tank.

Over all height if you are going to have two mounds make the RH higher at the moment its rather flat.

Nigel95 likes this.
  15. Nigel95

Not sure what to do with the height. The mounds were basically to save stones but in this forest scape I don't really need them. Although they can be Nice to keep the rocks and woods in place. Some of my pieces don't reach the end of the tank in terms of height. So a few hills could be nice to reach that. The scape that Is my inspiration looks completly flat with a thin layer; Maybe 1 inch. What do you think? IMG_5021.JPG

keithgh likes this.
  16. sfsamm

sfsamm New Member

I think the inspiration tank uses stones to get the tops of the driftwood level and strategically placed "roots" to create the illusion of a flat ground area. With the stone you have it may be difficult as it looked like it was mostly large pieces and the inspiration uses many many sizes to blend the roots to the trees and levels out the tops as well as having the appearance of roots wrapped around the stones. The substrate though appears to be a fairly level layer throughout.

17. keithgh

Nigel
    To get this effect you will have to completely change your rocks . Working from the rear of the photo and calculating the points at the ends (Red lines) you can see there is a good flat slope.

Your two sided effect is totally different. Its up to you which effect you wish to create.

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  18. keithgh

Nigel
    This is one of my think tank sketches.

To protect the base of your tank you gave used those black supports.
    To achieve that slope with safety use a thin ??? at the front two in the middle and three at the back
    You can use a mix of rocks and substrate and pour over the rocks this will reduce the height. Smash a few up and scatter over the substrate.

This is a rough think tank but it will work.

[​IMG]

Nigel95 likes this.
  19. Nigel95

Thanks a lot all. I hope I can apply all this Nice tips!

I must say that the maker of the tank stacked the stones nice to get the driftwood on top level. When I do that it looks really bad. Or will it be Okay when mosses cover the rocks ?

Tree on the left doesn't reach top of tank. Stacking further will not look Nice. Is this a problem If it doesn't reach the top? Really like the looks of it

Same for right tree. Doesn't reach top w/o stones under it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  20. keithgh

Nigel

Looks like you are at a point of think changes or work with what you have
    Every detail changes when you add more DW etc remember nature is not perfect its the over all appearance that counts.

When its planted it will alter every thing as far as looks. When planted correctly it will look fantastic but if any old plans are used you will have wasted a lot of time and energy getting every thing just right.

Nigel95 likes this.