1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

sounds from inside the tank...oooohhh~~~

Discussion in 'Fish' started by randy0319, Sep 18, 2012.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

This afternoon, I was doing the usual feeding and ferting of the tanks and fish. I have two very large 'fish bowls' with a Betta in each. One container is a large, tall glass column, the other a hurricane vase-large. Each have standard plants, Val, anacharis, water westeria, duck weed etc. I use plants that do not really need CO2. I change the water by 30 to 40% once a week, with natural sunlight as their source.

As I was feeding the Bettas I thought that I heard what sounded like a far away smoke alarm going off every two seconds at the same raisng pitch. It was a faint sound but audible. Maybe is was a car alarm? No...My apt. is very quiet-very quiet. As I listened to this rythmic sound I noticed that it was actually being emitted from the tall column fish bowl. The Betta was at the top eating but the sound came from somewhere near the bottom of the column. I put my ear to the glass and sure enough!, that was where the odd noise came from. I got up and ferted the rest of my many tanks. The Anacharis. Jungle Val and crypt didn't move in the column neither did the fish. The sound had dropped in pitch and slowed a little. I had to go to work so I left. There were no bubbles seen, the snails were doing their thing and the Betta is alive and fine.

What was that sound?? If anyone has a hypothosis, or answer to what could cause such an odd sound to come from an otherwise still body of water then I am listening. Thanks---R

p.s. fish pictures are not my fish but added to show the type similar to my two.

betta.jpg

betta_filter_tank_red_butterfly2.jpg

BLWS101492.jpg

ramshornth.jpg

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I know liquorice gaurami make sounds like whirs and clicks that are audible even in a loud fish shop, perhaps it's the fish?

3. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

or else the glass has a minor crack at the bottom an' it's spreading with fish movement as the water gets displaced?

4. randy0319

Thanks Garuf and abhradip. Good ideas that have sound scientific merit. The glass column was bought new and is of very thick glass. There would be a show of possible water leakage but luckily no. The only critters are the single Betta, average aqua-snails (rams horn and other), Jungle Val Brown Crypt. Anacharis and Duck weed. I used to have honey Gouramis but never heard a peep out of them. The only other explanation that I can come up with is possible audio of the Val growing and maybe rubbing leaves together at its bulb source. Could snails licking the glass for stuff cause a sound through the use of their foot/tongues??..Like a squeegee on a window pane??

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I'd suggest reading about and seeing if anyone is noticing similar things, a quick google search suggests people are noticing said noises but there's nothing hard and fast I've noticed, perhaps you may yield better results.

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

do you have anything that could cause subtle vibrations in the stand and thus the glass causing the glass to vibrate slightly creating a humming noise. I would gather that could be possible....filter, air pump, water pump...something like that?

Is the sound consistent/constant? Does it continue if you were to press your hands on the sides of the glass? does the pitch change? is it rhythmic or random? things like that can give clues to possibilities...

7. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

hi randy...that magical sound you are hearing,......
    i presume not same story with your mythical plants discovery:ROFLMAO:April is 5 months past:LOL:
    [​IMG]

8. randy0319

LOL!!!!... Now that's funny! Nope- I am serious about this. Besides..it would not be sporting or appropriate of me to start this early on an April fools joke. I have to give you folks truethfulness and honesty. This wierd sound actually happened. But I like the way that you think Mr Ed. You wit is sharp and very entertaining!

Garuf- The noise stopped a day later. I will Google and see. Thanks for the advice.

Shadow Mac- The glass container is on one of the lager levels of a book shelf. No sounds came from any other source on the book shelf. There are two other 'bowls' with betta/fish in them but none of those made any sounds or vibrations. The sound was consistent; and for a while stayed the same pitch/notes and beat. Then after half an hour the pitch dropped half a note and the beat/rythm slowed. It was audible but very faint. I hypothisize that it was either the leaves of the jungle Val growing in some odd way and maybe rubbing against each other as it grew, or the rasping foot/tongue of some unseen snail licking algae off the glass. When I touched the glass the sound did stay the same though.Thanks for the brain storming.