1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Something special

Discussion in 'Fish' started by bowman, Apr 22, 2012.

1. bowman

bowman New Member

Ok so here I am wanting that special fish to make my tank pop. Right now I have a 36 gallon bow front, random plants. Right now I have 90+ cherry shrimp, 2 otocinclus, 2 corydoras, 10 neon tertas, 8 harlequin rasboras, 3 male guppies o and 3 Assassin snails on thier way.

Any ideas on what else I can add without over doing it? I like glassfish but I want something colorful. Thoughts? Do I just need to be happy with what I got?
    Tank temp running 76.5-79 degress

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

You are already overstocking I would say! give fish their space to play.. :)

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'm not sure I agree with the "overstocked" sentiment.

24 small fish in a 36 gallon tank....seems fine to me. Especially if it is a planted well filtered tank.

5. bowman

bowman New Member

ill give the site a reference, thank you for the info. Overstocked? I really didnt think so honestly but Ill read more before I do anything of course. Again, thank you.
    Its pretty well filtered and I do have a fair amount of plants. Filter is up kept well and frequent water changes. Im off to read the link!

6. bowman

bowman New Member

7. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

my instincts were correct! :)

With good maintenance and equipment, I think you could add another small species. 5-7 fish...or expand upon the schools you already have.

8. bowman

bowman New Member

thanks for the info! That link was great and made me aware that I should add another filter too so it was a win win. Love it

9. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Bowman

Please remember 97% is very close even with every thing running perfectly.

Also 3 Guppies unless they are all males you will be over stocked very soon.

I personally would sit back and leave you stock as is for the moment or add a few more Neons or 1-2 Cories certainly no more new species.

Keith

10. bowman

bowman New Member

yup all male guppies - learned that the hard way. I ended up getting rid of 45+guppies from all the babies. Kept the three boys though in the end.
    Im chillin right now, it was just a thought - not one to just run out and grab fish because I can, no worries. Thanks for the feedback!

11. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Haha, I was in the same boat. I was giving away guppies, one year, on craigslist for months!

-John N.

bowman likes this.
  12. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

That's an excellent link, Keith. I ran my old tank through it, 800% filter capacity. haha

13. octavusprime

octavusprime New Member

I agree with shadowmac. With proper plant stocking, filtration and water changes you could probably stock more. This calculator is a reference but by no means the final word. Cool little calculator though.

I guess I'll need to upgrade my 240 gallon eventually... But it does say I'm at 67% of my stocking level. If the peacock bass get 25 inches I'll be very very surprised though. In captivity 18-20 inches is norm.

My report:

Warning: Peacock Bass Monoculus is not recommended for your tank - it may eventually outgrow your tank space, potentially reaching up to 25 inches.
    Recommended temperature range: 25 - 28 C.[Display in Farenheit]
    Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.5.
    Recommended hardness range: 5 - 12 dH.
    Recommended water change schedule: 32% per week.Your aquarium stocking level is 67%.