1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Some cyanobacteria and hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Brian, Apr 6, 2008.

1. Brian

Brian New Member

My tank has a little hair algae in the cristal but I scrapped it.
    The problem is the Cyanobacteria I deal with it in the past and I can't exterminate it all. I use excel and in the beggining it kill all the algae but 2 month after a cyano bloom appears I use excel again and reduce a lot of it but not exterminate all. Now in my new setup I use a lot of plants of my old aquarium and I think that it have some cyano. And Now the cyano is growing slow but growing!!!. I use excel 2x dose but nothing happen the algae still here. I done 25% w/c and nothing. I use flourish to make the plants grows faster than algae but nothing. I down the 12 hours photoperiod to 10 hours but nothing. What I can do?

2. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Use a pump for more circulation. BGA does not live well in rich oxygen environments. You may have it where circulation is low.

3. JDowns

JDowns New Member

Nip it in the bud now with a blackout.

Large water change followed by a minimum 3 day blackout. You can dose Excel during this if you choose. I have dealt with this in the past without the Excell and it completely eradicated the thread algea and cyno. E-myacin can also be effective against cyno.

4. Brian

Brian New Member

I will try the blackout because my tank have 2 canister filters one of 500 GPH and the other of 100 GPH. I clean the two filters and the substrate is new the tank is 1 week old with 25% wather of the old aquarium filters cycled all seems good I dont know why the cyano not die.

5. Wildcat03

Wildcat03 New Member

Hi Brian,
    Can you keep us informed of your fight against Cyano ?? I have the same problem in my tank and like you, I don't know what I can do more...
    I have also tried to do a 5 day Blackout against hair algea...It was effective but 2 weeks later Cyano came out and since never leave !

Good luck ;)

6. Brian

Brian New Member

What product have bacteria that mineralize organic compound like fish waste. My substrate in the tank is new (Eco complete). It says that have bacteria but how true is that? I think that the cyano apears becauses the fish wastes are not minarelized properly because I have done everything good only introduce few plants with little cyano. I think that the cyano will dissapear but still.

7. zeneo

zeneo New Member

It can come from poor oxigen in the water or from bad substrate ando also other things like too much P or N.

Making more movement in the water is one good solution. Other one is to use hydrogen peroxide but it can be dangerous for fish.

8. Brian

Brian New Member

it can be fish waste the problem?

I bought today Cycle and inyected it into substrate and some in the water column.
    The substrate not have cyano only the sand part and the leaves of some stem plants. I will make a w/c wednesday or tursday. I also Inyected flourish near the roots in the substrate and near the leaves. CO2 and excel is used too. I dont know why the cyano is still alive.

9. Brian

Brian New Member

With 1st day of all darkness the cyano is stopping. Im still using cycle in small amounts infected it into substrate because I hear here that bacteria can diminish algae problem. I will clean the filter mechanical area because is very dirty. and dose cycle again.

any suggestion?

10. JDowns

JDowns New Member

Vacuum as much as you can out and do a partial water change. This will help for when you are done with the blackout that you don't have a buildup of dead matter leaching ammonia causing further algea problems. Pull as much of the hair algea out as possible also or trim affected areas of plants.

11. JDowns

JDowns New Member

During this blackout is a great time to address why you got the algea in the first place.

I really want to say you are not getting enough CO2 only because it is 99% of the time why people have these problems.

How are you testing your CO2 levels?
    How much light?
    What size tank?
    How is your CO2 delivered into the tank?

It could also be that you entered already infected plants into your tank. So if this has been a persistant problem you can rule that out.

What I"m getting at is the blackout may only temporarily solve your problem, and you may need to address other areas that are problematic so you don't go through the same problem again. And during the blackout would be an opportune time to address this.

12. Wildcat03

Wildcat03 New Member

jklm475 ??? sorry, I really don't understand why you posted that here.

Regards

13. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

this is spam, already reported
    :33: i hate them..

14. Wildcat03

Wildcat03 New Member

Ok thanks Jur4ik !
    I did not know that that exist ... (never seen that on french forums)

15. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Why black out? A dose of Amoxiciline can eradicate Cyanobacteria from the root within 7 days. And a good water circulation and high nitrate level will keep stopping it from coming back.

16. Wildcat03

Wildcat03 New Member

I agree with you Tirtha for high NO3 level ! I don't like to use Erytromicine
    or Amoxiciline in my tanks so I must do a blackout to throw out cyano :Happy: