1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

So i found an aquatic Spider in my tank.

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by CatfishSoupFTW, May 28, 2012.

1. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

what do i do with it.

is it harmful? i have the huge creeps right now. spiders make me tingle.

Argyroneta aquatica

i think thats the name

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Do you have a picture? Wikipedia says the bite can be painful. It would be cool to keep around. It didn't say they eat fish, but they will eat shrimp and insects.

3. CatfishSoupFTW

no pictures. Even if I had a macro lens, it wouldnt suffice. maybe an MP-E lens but thats how small it was. it was about the thickness of the python I have. so its really small. And you sure? i poked it and what not. not to mention im from the city. We have nothing dangerous like this unless its in some zoo. (not to sound stupid) but yeah. could be wrong with the name. As for where it is now. left it in my tank. where is it in there? no clue. will it die? no clue. lol

I have found other odd creatures that somehow pop out of nowhere like these small grouping of white little shrimp that came out of nowhere in my 2.5 a few months back. even took care of them and they got a few mm big. then they all died. :p

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

How very exciting! Evolutions mental isn't it, aquatic spiders whatever next? ;)
    Who knows, I doubt there's many people out there keeping them long term it'd all be presumably about them being able to find enough food I suppose. Chuck it out if you don't like it, leave it be if you don't care.

CatfishSoupFTW likes this.
  5. CatfishSoupFTW

I hate spiders, but I spared its life and left it in the tank. The tank is in overhaul, so plenty trial and error, moving of hardscape, replantinng etc, no fauna so if it survives, I give it credit. :p but evolution is interesting thats for sure.

6. octavusprime

octavusprime New Member

They are a very interesting spider. They have tiny hairs on their abdomen that are used to capture air so they can hunt underwater. I would LOVE to have one in my tank.

I have 7 year old Brazilian White Knee'd Birdeater. She eats crickets and mice but is pretty boring otherwise. Watching an underwater spider build it's nest would be cool.