1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Snail Population EXPLOSION!

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by John N., Sep 28, 2010.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Okay, what causes a snail population explosion?

I just took a close look at one of my tanks, and there are Malaysian Trumpet Snails all over the place. It looks like my substrate is ALIVE as they move under and over it.

I don't over feed the tank with fish food so I'm not sure why there are so many. It's kind of disgusting. LOL.

-John N.

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

in old tanks there is still enough to eat for them under the soil. rotten plant parts ie
    The best thing to get rid of them, is to add some Assasin snails (Anentome helena)
    [​IMG]

3. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Easy John.

1 - Over feeding.
    2 - plant problem.

The former is obvious. Feeding too much food and the snails feed off the excess and then multiply.

The latter less obvious in that the moment a plant gets defficiency even un-noticeable to us the snails are on it. Similar to shrimps that will start to attempt a fish attack at the slightest weakness.

However both are essentially the same. Both food sources.

Remove the food source and the population is controlled.

My problem is I like the MTS and intentionally overfeed :lol:

AC

4. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Snails multiply like crazy. I smuggled 6 BOX FISHES and put them in my tank. Overnight they ate half the snails on the tank. When I came home the snails on other half of the of the glass are gone (Completely). I don't know if you can get box fishes in your area. But they are available in Hong Kong.^:)^

5. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

In europe there are dwarf puffer fishes available,
    Chunts, can you show a picture of your box fishes?

6. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Unfortunately they all died when I had to travel for a few days. Yes the are the dwarf puffer fish.^:)^

7. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

do the dwarf puffers eat MTS?

you can also use deworming products that contains flubendazole or mebendazole, these are fish, shrimp, plant and bacteria safe, but will kill all worms, planeria, snails and nematodes.

just be careful of an ammonia spike when all the snails die :( you can easily lose some fish or shrimp to this, so make sure you are doing water changes...

check out this thread on shrimpnow

whatver you however, do don't use the dimilin that they recommend. this is what dimilin does:

Insect larvae that are controlled by the active ingredient diflubenzuron come predominantly from the families Diptera (flies/mosquitoes) and Lepidoptera (butterflies/moth). Unlike most conventional larvicides that attack the nervous system of a broad spectrum of insects, the active ingredient in Dimilin works on a narrow spectrum of insects to disrupt the normal molting process. Diflubenzuron enters the insect larvae through contact or ingestion and interferes with its ability to form chitin, the material that makes up the exoskeleton. Treated larvae are either unable to escape the old larval skin, or the new, weak cuticle of the new instar is lethally injured and larvae dies before reaching the next growth stage.

so if you have shrimp in your tank, it may seem like dimilin does nothing to them, but after their next moult they will die...

a couple of 50% water changes after the dewormer and some activated charcoal will make sure all the residual chemicals are removed..

8. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

I did use deworming liquid. I used 6 bottles X 100ml. One bottles a day. Then all the snails came and stuck themselves on the walls of the tank. That was when the dwarf puffer fish clean them out in 24 hours. However, it did kill all my tetra neons. But it did get all the snails to surface on the wall.^:)^

9. Supercoley1

I used some flubendazole ages ago to treat some worms my Bolivians had. Didn't touch the MTS though. lol

On the note above. MTS are one of those snails that it is not suggested to pair with snail eaters like loaches or puffers as their shell is hard it damages their teeth/beak!!!

AC

10. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Luckily I never had MTS ;), my tank only have those small rams horn snail, which I crust them whenever I see one :))

I uses flubendazole to kill planaria but never try it to snail

11. John N.

I had two dwarf puffers and they never touched the MTS. I had some clown loaches that did a pretty good job, but they never did get rid of all of them. After they died, the snail population just returned back to enormous amounts! :frusty:

Here's a quick shot (aka bad photo) I took tonight moments after I fed my fish. This is just a few of them that you see. In an hour or two the amount you see gets to 5X as much!

[​IMG]

Maybe I'll try the chemical methods...but I really hate to add unnecessary additives in the water.

-John N.

12. Supercoley1

Lol at John. Thats not an explosion, My substrate is a living moving field of red/pink and light stone colour with brown dots. lol:
    [​IMG]

If you're that worried then turn the lights on half an hour before normal as that is when they will start to appear and climb the glass. Do your 20% water change using a syphon and take the 'pump bit' off after getting the syphon working then just suck them all up. (If you keep the pump bit on the bigger snails get trapped in the little 'valves' in the pump section.

Chemicals are never a good thing and more often than not they don't work :) especially with MTS who seem to be able to withstand higher Cu than the plants can and also survive CO2 dumps to boot.

For the amount you have in that pic then Juri's assasin snail should be able to clear that up. No chance on mine even if I wanted too though. lol

They're part of my 'livestock'

AC

13. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Poor John. I know how you feel. I felt the same way too, when the tank was infested with snails.^:)^

14. John N.

That's a disgusting photo AC. Talk about masses of things!:-&

My tank is on its way to that mess ChunTC..hopefully I can put a stop to it before it somehow effects my other tanks (through water changes and the Python hose kit I use).

-John N.

15. Supercoley1

Its each to their own John. To me its nature, its natural I like the movement.

Some people don't like CO2 mist making their tank water look like fizzy water.

My problem is more there is constant movement and energy in the tank from shrimp through the water. Ruins every photo. lol

The shrimp add to the natural feel and also keep my 'never cleaned' substrate in tip top condition :)

On yours the siphon tube waved around half an inch above the substrate will remove them quite easily at each water change and then reduce feeding as well :)

AC

16. Gill

Gill New Member

I have this same Prob in my Pico, The snail population has exploded and All the movement has dislodged most of my Carefullt placed Slate Shards. I pick out as many as I can and Crush the shells before feeding to the other tank. I Don't want to add anything that will disturb the Scape too Much.

17. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

I used to have too many MTS.. got 4 loaches, yo-yo ones, in a week they were all gone. :)

Otherwise get cucumber, drop it in the evening, put the alarm for 3am and remove the cucumber with lots of snails on it.. Do it for a week or so, and you will decrease the population.

18. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

YoYo Loaches... and don't feed them. :D

19. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Snails multiple so fast and before you can decide what to do with your tank is already filled with it. I am lucky I treated it with deworming solution with 1ooml a day for 7 days (some fishes died thought) bur when they all surfaced the box fishes that I smuggled from Hong Kong did the job. They totally got ride of it. Thank God I don't even have a snail now.

20. arjundogra

arjundogra New Member

I am not sure what causes snail population explode but the meathod to control them i agree with juri...i put around 10 Assasin snails (Anentome helena) in my four footer and they finished up all the snails in about three days...These buggers are really efficient, try giving it a shot