1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Snail Infestation!!

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by dirrtybirdy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

No - i said small tanks.

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

:p

anyway it was only an example and you are ofcourse right - vinegar is dangerous.
    regards :hi:

3. Patricia Black

Patricia Black New Member

Betta fish love snails. I always keep a male betta around to eat snail eggs.

4. lionhead

lionhead New Member

I had a 75 gal with a real bad snail problem, introduces a small spotted puffer, and he or she took care of them, also the puffer has got a great personality, gets along great with tank mates(discus and tetras) an is very cute......walmart 5.00.....:idea:

5. altaaffe

altaaffe New Member

I tried the lettuce leaf last night, took it out this morning and there was only 1 small snail on it. I think they prefer the taste of the plants !!

6. Patricia Black

Patricia Black New Member

I didn't know you could put a puffer in a community tank. Interesting!

7. anarchaos

anarchaos New Member

try adding some fishes like Botia almorhae or young clown loaches they love snails, lettuce or boiled pumkin works for me..

8. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I agree with the loach solution.
    A few young skunk, clown, or yoyo loaches (and don't add food) should do the trick.
    Works for me, in fact I am picking some up today for just that reason.
    If you have cherries they may be small enough for your loaches to bother, but I have large amanos and the snails are an easier target than the shrimp.

9. Aeneus23

Aeneus23 New Member

i have the same problem. i got snails everywhere... a possible solution is to introduce a loach in the tank or remove them from hidden places where they reproduce themselves.

10. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Just to follow up, my yoyo's have eradicated the snails almost completely.

11. Morten

Morten New Member

There are also several small dwarf ciklide feeding on snails, such as the Laetacara curviceps (Flag arca) who are an exceptional snail eater. (small snails)

In a tank with with a snail problem, put in a couple of Flag arca, stop or minimize feding for a period and after a short period, no more snails.

(I have used Flag arca myself and the result, no more snails) (The arca will also take some of the shrimp)

However, if you got serious growth of snails in your tank you have to look into your feeding routines. Too much food = a great number of snails .

12. foolish1

foolish1 New Member

about a year ago, i bought a dozen ghost shrimp from walmart and dumped them into my 30gal hex that had cherries in it, and a lot of pond snails. after a couple of weeks i didn't see any more snails.
    all of the ghost shrimp eventually died off but there still aren't any pond snails in that tank.

13. Mildly Rabid

Mildly Rabid New Member

I had an infestation almost exactly like this before (about 70-90 baby snails) and what worked was this: rinse off leaves with clumps of snail eggs, bury a film canister in your substrate with 1/4 of a hikari algae wafer, the snails will flock to it overnight or over the course of a couple days and you can rinse out the canister. Repeat. Once you get down to just a few snails, just crush them whenever you see them and they will all die off.

14. pupa

pupa New Member

I always vote for dwarf puffer to defeat snail

but about your problem, your shrimps will defeat too (Lol)
    I never use snail remover before, because it can affect the fauna too

15. Saria

Saria New Member

Hmm, in my experience, snail explosions occurred when I was overfeeding. Once I cut way back down on the amount of food I introduced into my tank and vacuumed my substrate regularly (once a week), the snails naturally died off because there wasn't so much leftover available food (and they CANNOT outcompete your fish for food). Before you try any drastic methods (aside from using a piece of cucumber or lettuce to attract the snails, then throw away the piece), I'd suggest cutting back on your feeding. Are you really feeding the appropriate amounts? Most people have some snails in their tanks, intentionally or unintentionally, but they only have a pop explosion when there's too much leftover food... Think of them like cockroaches, rats, or ants. If you leave a bunch of food out or don't clean regularly, you can easily get an infestation problem.

16. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

So to start this thread up....

I have cherry shrimp in my 40 Liter tank as well as some neons. I have snails and they seem to be populating quite a bit more at the moment. I am not over feeding and no dead leaves are laying around. Is there anything I can do? I think I am going to try the lettuce trick tonight however is there a loach or a fish that I can get to get rid of these pest?

Kind Regards!

Adam

17. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Adam get 2 little clown loach yellow and black striped ones :) snails will be a thing of the past:LOL: loach love snails takes a little while but will get them all in the end(y) cheers roy

18. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Greenfinger
    Do you mean Clown Loaches or Khuli Loaches?

I had a young Clown Loach in my 100lt Shrimp tank and the stinker preferred the Shrimp fry.

I have tried every thing myself and I still squash a few each day.

The only thing I know that will knock them off without touching the shrimp is an Assassin Snail and they are prohibited in Aust.

The other way is to catch as many shrimp as you can and put them in a fry keeper net then get the Clown Loach and don't feed him at all only the Shrimp.

Keith:):)

19. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

hi Keith , clown loach did not think about shrimp fry:( i only have Amano shrimp they don't breed in fresh water so never had that prob;) had some khuli loach long time ago only ever see them when clean out tank :cry: cheers roy

20. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

greenfinger

I just bought 5 Khuli Loaches I consider them as mini vacs and I occasionally see them I also have a big Bristlenose and see him even less.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.