1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Snail Infestation!!

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by dirrtybirdy, Jul 17, 2008.

1. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

I have no Idea where these guys came from?? theyre tiny brown snails. how do i get rid of them? theyre are in a cherry shrimp tank. please help!

Sponsored link:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

You probably got them from plants you recently received. Unfortunately in my experience once you have them, your stuck with them. :(

-John N.

3. Aquadude

Aquadude New Member

You could try putting a lettuce leaf in after lights out and the next day when the lights come back on the leaf should be covered with them, and then just remove the leaf. I here that some people have had good results using this method.

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

do they look like these snail1
    or like those snail2

if they look like the first ones i would just sqeeze them with my fingers or with tweezers if you like so

your fish or shrimps will be very thankfull for this snack ;)

5. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

lol sounds fun but there is 100s of them! plus wouldnt it let out toxins in the water?? maybe ill crush a few today after work lol

6. Jurijs mit JS

then every day only few of them and you wont need to feed your fish .. lol
    toxins .. never thought about that, some hours ago i planted 2 new plants in my fishtank and sqeezed about 20 of those snails - my amanos picked them imidiately :)

the method with the lettuce leaf is good too.

which snails have you? because those afrikan snails are really very difficult to get rid of. once in the past i got so many of them that my hardscape began to move, they dig! only way got rid of them - i changed my substrate and wahed all the plants in vinegar - be carefull with this method as you can damage your plats if the vinegar is too strong.

good luck

7. trenac

trenac New Member

I think your best bet is combine smashing & the lettuce leaf method. Doing this for a week or two should reduce their numbers greatly. Also cut back the amounts being feed to your shrimp, this will help to control their reproduction. There is also snail traps that you can buy from your LFS. However I'm not sure how well they work.

8. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

9. Jurijs mit JS

get rid of yours and infect with others .. if the amount of snails is smaller than that of shrimps, i would say everything is ok. to get completely rid of them is quite difficult but possible as i explained above..

good luck and keep us update

10. John N.

I had large amounts of Malaysian trumpet snails that took over an aquarium. Although they burrow in the substrate, in the morning when the lights are out you can see them climbing along the walls (dozens and dozens of them!).

I cleaned out the tank, threw away plants, and boilled the substrate with hot water to get rid of them. Unfortunately, when I purchased new plants, I received a few tag alongs...so now I have them in my tank again. :frusty:

I've learned (or am forced) to live with them. Feed in small amounts, and they don't take over the tank.

-John N.

11. Jurijs mit JS

John, you can wash your new plants with some vinegar, but not too much and not too long - it destroy snail eggs

for the future maybe ..

12. John N.

I've never heard of that. Do you have a tray full of vinegar, and lightly dip your plants? Should one dilute their vinegar for example 50/50 water:vinegar?

-John N.

13. Jurijs mit JS

10:1 would be best - if it is too soften - it doesnt kill the snail eggs, but of is too strong you will burn the leafs of your plants.

normal vinegar has about 40°, if you dilute it 10:1 you will have about 4° and i think it will be ok for a shhort bath. dont forget to wash off the vinegar befor planting.

try first with only few stems or so ..

ps: if will have some time tomorrow i will look for the right recept and post it here, was a long time ago i used this method ..

14. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I've got the same issue with generic pond snails. I had one or two big ones hitch hike in on some plants and now the numbers are endless. I pull 10 or more out every day.

So far I haven't tried the lettuce leaf trick. Instead I grab them with tweezers and remove them from the tank before squishing them and putting them in the trash. I also remove any eggs I happen to see.

*sigh*

15. crstn_savu

crstn_savu New Member

Why don't you try to introduce a botia or a puffer in your aquarium... this fish love snails :p

16. PrincessPea

PrincessPea New Member

Botia loves to eat shrimp, too. However, it will eat every snail in sight if you have no shrimp in the tank!

PP

17. epicfish

epicfish New Member

Assassin snail? And was it the nerite or apple snail that would eat other snails too? :)

18. Jurijs mit JS

defenetly not the apple snail.

19. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

To the vinegar - Vinegar is acetic acid in water at a 5 % concentration (w/w)
    Acetic acid comes as glacial 99 % and usually as a solution around 30 % to buy locally. The glacial (99%) is hazadous and some pretty hefty stuff...
    I use it to clean calcium off kitchen stuff - but dont try that. Im trained to use strong acids and can take my precautions. (And i dont mind the smell)

I recommend to use a very simple method - it takes a week or so but is simple and for everyone to do if the tank is not that big.

Take a thin tube with an inside diameter a little bigger than the biggest snails. Take a bamboo stick/ chopstick and attach a razorblade to it.

Then make a siphon and suck the snails up - but most important. Get the eggs! Thats were the razor come in handy. Scrape them off the glass and suck it up. Check the plants, equipment and decorations as well.

Do this every day for a week - and dont feed doing that. If you later spot a snail - get it right away and check for more, and eggs.

remember - 1 snail = severel piles of eggs. 1 pile of eggs = severel snails.
    So go get them right away.

For bigger tanks i recomment loaches. Like Botia almorhae.

20. Jurijs mit JS

if you dilute it well it is an easy method to prevent snails from new plats.
    ofcourse it you use it pure you will burn down all leafs. cant find where i got the recept from - but it works.

example: you set up a new tank sized 200x50x50 there you need a lot of plats for and you want it be "snail free" how are going to manage it Anti-Pjerrot? just set up and keep looking for snails every day, lol