1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

snail ID?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by craig, Mar 15, 2009.

1. craig

craig New Member

found a few of these guys this morning in my 5 gallon tank...They dont look like MTS or ramshorns...was wondering if anyone knew what kind they are and if they are gonna destroy my plants?
    This is a photo of one of the largest ones i found so i assume it is the adult size and for a size reference, that is the tip of my index finger.
    [​IMG]

thanks in advance

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

they do not eat your plants but reproduce as rapid fire!!!

scientifical name is Physidae

ps: imo^^ :D

3. craig

craig New Member

thanks i have been searching for awhile and most info on pest snail species in FW aquariums turns up info on MTS and rams. I knew that these werent either of those.

i just did an internet search on Physidae sp. and that is definitely a positive ID! Thanks you so much!

So as long as the dont destroy the plants I guess I don't really mind. I assume it just means that I have to battle them from overpopulating by manual removing them as a see them or try to bait them?

Other than assasin snails are there any other possible predators to help control numbers? Possibly Botia sidthimunki's?

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

You welcome :)
    Botias should eat them.. Assasin snails are too slow and spend most of the time on the bottom. I wouldn´t use chemicals - best way is to squeez them right in the tank and your fish will do the rest ;) this is What I do with snails I dont like :devil:

5. craig

craig New Member

yeah i just went on a snail hunt and killed like 20 or so. I was just thinking that if they produce like wildfire that it would be a good idea to have a natural way of population control (predation) that can work round the clock as opposed to me only having a few hours a week to go snail hunting :)

6. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

dwarf puffer fish but they also will kill your shrimps. Also I notice if the tank have low pH (< 6), it population will slowly reduce. My guess is they having problem forming the shell.

7. mr. luke

mr. luke New Member

Dwarf pufferfish DONT always kill shrimps, all dp's are different though. Botia's would kill shrimps too.