1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Snail control

Discussion in 'Fish' started by matt11390, Apr 2, 2009.

1. justo-23

justo-23 New Member

I love the YoYo loach for snail control. They are very curious and will hunt down the snails effeciently. good luck :)

Sponsored link:

2. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

Yo yo loaches are amazing fish and they will take out any snails, but do you want your tank full of empty shells?

Bait and remove, and feed less. Stop all feed for one week, and you will see a great improvement.

Fish don't have flakes on their natural habitat, a lean time is good.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

3. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

I crush or remove any visible snails I can see in my tank, I thought my tank was clear after a pack of rosy barbs lived in it for over 6 months but there must have been some left-over because when the barbs went the snails came back. Not crazy fast so I'm coping with it as I see it.

You could dose some copper which should kill snails and any other invertebrates like shrimp but I wouldn't personally I like to avoid chems where possible.

I was reading somewhere about someone who had had enough, removed all their fish and cranked up their co2 rate, apparently that killed almost all over night and the ones still alive were at the top striving for air.

4. ghostsword

ghostsword Aspiring Aquascaper Staff Member

The co2 technique is good. You should avoid having dead things on the tank, so if you kill the lot you will have lots of dead things on the tank. Not cool.

But gas enough to bring them up and then get them scooped out.

I do think that snails are good, not a lot, but some are ok to have. I got red ramshorns on all my tanks, they are bright red so easy to see, and they do keep the tank clean if I ever overfeed.

Once in a while I scoop the large ones an take them to the shop, kids like to have them on their tanks.

5. Misant

Misant New Member

Believe it or not, I discovered this while using it to treat an algae bloom...

1Oz store bought 3% hydrogen peroxide per 5 gallons, mixed in well with the tank water will kill your snails overnight. If you want to save some, pick them and set them aside.

When the oxygen dissociates from the hydrogen, it attacks algae like black death. Snails too! It's harmelss to your fish and plants since the only byproduct is oxygen & hydrogen. It also disintegrates detritus in your tank such as uneaten food & dead plant matter.

It eradicates the most stubborn algaes and the most deeply buried snails. Repeat once every few days to kill baby snails.

Just monitor your water conditions afterwards to make sure your beneficial bacteria are still doing their thing.

Works like a charm. You can cut the H2O2 back to 1Oz/10 or 15 gallons if you want to kill algae blooms and save most of the snails.

BTW this will also kill shrimp at doses that are...snailacidal... lol So take them out!

EDIT: Baby plecos are also sensitive! I wouldn't use it with algae eaters! The other fish seem to love it however and I'm starting to suspect it also kills free swimming stages of ich and worms.

6. artlive

artlive New Member

Quite tricky situation here as you might face more problem if you decide to add more snail eating fish. I would spend the extra hours trying to pick up one by one using hand and dispose off the snails humanely. I might get a little bit difficult for those hiding but eventually all of it should be gone.