1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Smelly slime on Driftwood

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jmorgan, Jun 12, 2008.

1. jmorgan

jmorgan New Member

Need some input on this problem. I have a 30 gallon with a piece of mopani wood in it. Last week I emptied the tank of fish and it had set fishless for 3-4 days. I then noticed a fuzzy buildup of this slime on the wood. I took it out to clean it off and man what a stench!:-s I replaced the wood back in the tank and before going to purchase more fish yesterday, I noticed it was back again!:( Anyone have an idea what I can do?

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Got a pic?

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That slime stuff is pretty normal for new or recently added wood. Sometimes it helps to pretreat it by boiling the wood. This will help remove some of the organics, and tannins that come out of the wood. Mopani pieces have a good reputation of releasing tannins for a prolong period of time. Anyways, scrap it off and wipe it down and it'll eventually go away. I noticed otocinclus love to munch on the gunk too.

-John N.

4. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Fungus, as John said, good ole otos love it and will eat it in no time. I had the same stuff in a 10 some time ago. My .02

5. jmorgan

jmorgan New Member

smelly slime

Thanks all for your replies. Just wasn't sure if it was toxic or not. I have 3 otos in the tank, so hopefully they'll take care of it. Thanks again.