1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Simon's 1st aquascape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by chiangstar, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

Really beautiful tank! The stones you used are nice! =)

chiangstar likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Simon, Congrats on the baby (y) The Aquascape is looking Fab mate:rolleyes: The HC has filled in nicely :cool: Snails They are a pain i have been crushing them too i think they breed faster than we can crush them :LOL: One thing i did noticed when dosing liquid C02 to my tank the snails seem to float to the surface :D So now i turn the filter off add Co2 leave for half hour then scoop out the snails with a net i get 10-20 snails at a time Still got snails but far less than before :) Think i will have to get a couple of assassin Snail ;) There banned in Australia :( Keith said if you know the right people you can get them though:sneaky: But alas he is not in the know to Who:( Or he would get some. You could ask around you never know :)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    chiangstar likes this.
  3. PNScheese

PNScheese Aspiring Aquascaper

Looking good and congrats on the upcoming child!!!

chiangstar likes this.
  4. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks guys! Roy, liquid CO2 kills snails?! I'll have to give that a go. How much do you dose? The standard amount for the tank volume? Have you ever known liquid CO2 to affect shrimp?

Cheers

Simon

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

5. greenfinger 2

Hi Simon, No it does not kill the snails :(It look like they float up for air ?? Some slide up side and stick there heads out of the water ?? Whatever it is and why they do it I don't know , Not very scientific :LOL: I have been double dosing the MNR as there are only plants in the tank+ hundreds of snails seemed to work :cool: So gave it a go on the Cube that has 4 Amano shrimp in;) Double dose worked the shrimp were ok the snails did the same thing :D Still got snails but far less than before :cool: One thing i only have Amano shrimp in my tanks ----As to other shrimp and this method ?? Give it a go Simon let me know how you get on :) I think its Assassin snails for me as am getting fed up of snails :(:D Mind you been reading up on assassin there not a quick fix either it can take months for them to clear a tank :whistle:

6. chiangstar

Hey Roy,

I double dosed Flourish Excel and it did nothing. The snails are just sitting there laughing at me through the glass. It didn't seem to do anything to the other fauna either. I just did one double dose and observed the effect. How many days in a row am I meant to double dose? I'm afraid that I'll harm my Darwin Algae Eating shrimp if I keep it up. By the time that I realise I've done any harm, it might be too late.

Cheers

Simon

7. greenfinger 2

011_zpsa28c6ee5.jpg Hi Simon, :( Well maybe i have floating snails ?? I was dosing for about 3 days when the snails started to float ?? One pic there is only a few floating in the pic but some days there's more Well if its not the liquid Co2 what makes them float ??? Wonder if someone knows as i would love to know why the snails float :confused: I thought it was the Co2 (n)(n)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. chiangstar

They have the rare floating-snail-disease. I might try double dosing excel for a couple of days and report back my findings

Cheers

Simon

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  9. greenfinger 2

Hi Simon, :D Looking forward to your findings :)

10. chan011

chan011 New Member

thank you for this thread. ive learned a lot already

chiangstar likes this.
  11. chiangstar

Roy! Success! I double-dosed Flourish Excel for 3 days straight and got one floating snail! :ROFLMAO: I think I just have to go back to crushing snails and letting my SAE eat them haha

chan011 - no problems. It has been fun sharing my experiences - 'learning' is the reason for the journal.

As an update, I started scaling back my dosing because I've been finding that I do not have as much time to devote to my tank was finding that my dosing was increasing the occurrence of algae without other maintenance procedures or any sort of scientific approach to measuring nutrient levels. Mostly GSA on the anubias leaves and glasswork and also GDA on the glass. The S.repens has started to experience the same poor growth (holes in leaves and lower leaves dying off) - so I think I either have to get my dosing regime right (read EI) when I have some time or accept that I dont grow S.repens too well. Can anyone think of a suitable alternative?

Cheers

Simon

12. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Lower leaf loss with S. repens is generally a CO2 issue, not dosing nor light. I've grown it fine in low light with little dosing.

Remember nutrients do not cause algae. Less time for the tank means you should back off your lighting. Keep the CO2, but reduce lighting and subsequently then you can reduce dosing.

Looks like you have a kid on the way! congratulations! I have my first child due the ladder end of the year. I plan to reduce my lighting on my large tank and go for a lower light setup to provide for easier maintenance when I know my time will be short to tinker.

13. chiangstar

Hey Shawn,

Congrats to you too!

Now that you mention it, I did have some CO2 supply issues going back about 3 weeks, but I thought I rectified that. Could the effects of the hiccup just be ironing themselves out now?

I already have cut my light hours to about 6 hours... perhaps I have to increase the height of my light. I might just try pumping the CO2 a little harder for the moment and see what that does. Change one thing at a time. I'm not using a drop checker at the moment. I used the kH/pH method of estimating CO2 concentration and if this method is even slightly accurate, I have lots of CO2 in the water. I'll go home and check it again, but my kH was something like 11 or 12 and my pH 6.8. That seemed like a very high kH to me but I didn't have time to investigate it. I'll re-test and report back.

Cheers

Simon

PNScheese and greenfinger 2 like this.
  14. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

maybe they are looking for food.
    could be your snails wants to go some place looking for food and the fastest way for them to do that is by floating:LOL:

15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

me_ED, that is what I was thinking. Snails and shrimp will sometimes eat from the scum layer that can develop at the surface. It is comprised of their favorite biofilm meal of glycoproteins, bacteria, and whatever else

PNScheese and greenfinger 2 like this.
  16. greenfinger 2

Hi Simon, Well maybe mr_ED & Shawn are right the snails float to get food (n) But when i stop dosing liquid Co2 they stop floating ?? Must be a reason :D Still so long as they float and i can get them out that's what matters:D Will be getting some assassin snails soon so wont have a snail problem (y) Hope you sort out your plants soon (y)

PNScheese likes this.
  17. chiangstar

Something strange is happening. I noticed that my CO2 delivery was being disrupted by my check valve failing. It lead to a lower concentration of CO2 in my water. So subsequently I sorted it out and started to pump CO2 in at a rather rapid rate to help compensate for the period without CO2 - probably to levels higher than previously maintained. Snails are starting to float! Not many, but more than before when I double-dosed Flourish Excel. I picked about 10 off the top of the water this morning. I cant explain it. Maybe snails gas out faster than fish? My fish are fine.

Cheers

Simon

greenfinger 2 and PNScheese like this.
  18. PNScheese

PNScheese Aspiring Aquascaper

Maybe they got shocked from the amount of Co2? Regardless the more dead snails the better :)

19. greenfinger 2

Hi Simon, :D Told you strange thing happen :) Why the snails do it ? Maybe as you said they gas out faster than the fish of feeding of the top ??
    Some of my snails have started floating mid water :confused: Looks like they are doing an under water dance:LOL: It can last for a couple of minutes then they float to the top ? It could be they are adjusting the amount of air inside there shells ?
    Glad your fish are ok though:) Don't know why it happens but am pleased that it does:cool: Less snails the better

20. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

You could try some Zebra Loach or Angelicus Botia for the snails. They should both be okay for planted, and are known as snail eaters.

EDIT
    Nevermind - just realized you had shrimp. They'd probably be a tasty treat, so ignore what I just said.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014