1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Shrimp - Effect on Bioload?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Dan Pellegrini, May 8, 2008.

1. Dan Pellegrini

Dan Pellegrini New Member

I am hoping some of you scientific types out there can answer this question for me: Do shrimp add to the total bio-load of a given tank in a similar way to fish?

This question is inspired by both the adult size and appetite of my Amano Shrimp as well as the prolific nature of RCS and other common FW shrimp... I wonder if a large shrimp population can cause an imbalance in tanks with heavy fish loads - resulting ultimately in fish loss...

2. milalic

milalic New Member

Very hard question regarding this topic. It is known that the bio load of a shrimp is less than most fish. I have not seen scientific data, but I have had many more shrimp in a 10G tank that you could imagine with just a sponge filter and weekly water changes.

Usually when a shrimp tank gets too crowded the shrimp tend to stop breeding.
    I guess is natures way to balance it out.

Not sure if this helps answering your question, but it might get it moving.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Given that all things add to an aquarium's bioload, it makes sense that the following would work.

Large Shrimp Population/Bioload + Fish Bio Load = Nutrient Overload/Inbalance if no waterchanges.

Biological colonies have a maximum point where they can effectively metabolise these nutrients. The bacteria colony maximum potential is going to vary from tank to tank, as well as the level at which fauna waste is considered overloaded. However, I can imagine if shrimp and fauna are left to their own demises without any waterchanges, the end result can be shrimp not breeding as much, and/or death of fauna.

-John N.