1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Shrimp Attrition?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Dabrits, Mar 14, 2011.

?

How many shrimp have you lost in transit?

1. None of the ones I ordered

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Less than 50%

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. More than 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All of the ones I ordered

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Mac, I've been thinking a little more about what you said in this post. You said not to mix the genus otherwise they might inter-breed. That makes sense, I think you'd end up with some real hardy, but extremely ugly shrimp after a while.

So would you recommend getting some RCS and then a few amano? The RCS are neos whereas the amanos are carids. What are your thoughts?

Shrimp farm, do you guys plan on selling amanos anytime soon? And for about how much?

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Sometimes, hybrids do not produce offspring. I know thats true of a lot of animals, I don't know in shrimp.

Thats what I did, I chose fire reds of neocaridinia and orange-eyed blue tigers of caridinia. I didn't do amanos because they do not breed in freshwater. They will berry, but they go through a larval stage that requires salt water. I chose the blue tigers because they do not require any special care for their young and should breed as easily as the fire red cherries. I have a large female who is berried right now. My fire reds had some young and I've counted about 20 new little shrimp.

Unfortunately my tap water isn't the greatest at the moment due to the river flooding here and I have lost some adults due to it. The F1's tend to be hardier than the shrimp brought to a new tank.

I also recently found out that fire red shrimp are actually a grade up from Sakura shrimp.

I'm definitely not a shrimp expert as this is my first adventure into serious shrimp keeping. I have some amanos in my high tech. They are tough and great algae eaters. So if you don't mind replacing them every so often they are a great choice.

Getting ones that would breed well was how I justified to myself (and my wife) spending the money on more expensive color morphs. :)

3. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

That's funny that you are all about breeding. I think if I got those 40 RCS from shrimpfarm, my tank would be pretty much maxed out, therefore I don't want them to reproduce. I don't have any other tanks for them to go into either. I would want them to breed to keep up with natural deaths, but I wouldn't want the population to grow.

4. ShadowMac

I've heard of people keeping 100 shrimp in a 20 gallon without problems. You could always sell the extras on aquabid or even on the marketplace here. Shrimp are neat little critters.

Maybe even some LFS's would take them in and give you store credit. A store here does that. I pretty much pay for my day to day supplies that way.

Breeding will be a good sign of tank health. Shrimp are good "canaries". They will let you know if things are not going well. They will be the first to show signs of stress from ammonia, nitrites, CO2, etc.

5. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

That's a whole lot of shrimp to have in a such a little tank. I can't imagine more than 40 in my tank. One of my concerns is that they are too good of canaries and they won't hack it. I do a pretty good job of managing the tank, but occasionally for work I leave for a while at a time.

6. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So I just ordered 30 shrimp from the Shrimp Farm today. I didn't go for the express shipping because they already have the live-on-arrival guarantee. I'm excited to get them. Hopefully they can help keep a little bit of hair algae in check.

7. ShadowMac

great! hope it goes well. They are best on hair algae.

I've been eyeballing the blue pearls, especially after seeing Raven's recent pic of one in the "pics after water change" thread.

I would have to keep them away from my fire reds, which means I have to move my killies out of the 20 so I can put shrimp in there.

It never ends, always something new to do.

8. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Very true! Blue Pearls should be nice though. I think I will also get two more otos and then a few guppies to round things out (my daughter's favorite show is Bubble Guppies so she is dying for me to have some real-life guppies).

9. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So I got my shrimp yesterday. They were all alive (thankfully). Although I was very nervous to open the bag to check if they were all alive (it would be nearly impossible to count them or check to see if they are alive in the bag they come in). Because as soon as you open the bag you void the live-arrival guarantee. But they were all alive (still don't know if there were 30 though, there was a bunch so I'm happy). I got them added to the tank. The guppies (that I actually went out and got) initially thought they were food. But the shrimp would avoid the guppies. I think they will just need an adjustment period. Overall I am very satisfied with the purchase.

10. Rodney

Rodney New Member

Aquabid.com has a pretty big shrimp trade. I bought some blue pearls and cherries from there that are doing really well. But as with all auction sites, be wary of your seller.

I haven't gotten burned from that site yet, but it is always a possibility.