1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Shrimp Attrition?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Dabrits, Mar 14, 2011.

?

How many shrimp have you lost in transit?

1. None of the ones I ordered

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Less than 50%

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. More than 50%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. All of the ones I ordered

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So I am looking into purchasing my first few shrimp (Amano and RCS). My LFS only sells Ghost. I've found a few different places who sell those two shrimp at decent prices. But the question I have for all of you is, how many (if any) of your shrimp died in transit or shortly after arriving? I haven't ever ordered any fish online. And I've heard these guys can be quite sensitive.

Sponsored link:

2. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

Hi Dabrits. It becomes risky when it is very cold outside. I have quite a bit of experience shipping shrimp, and the risk is low, which is why (depending on where you live) you can probably order with a live arrival guarantee....

3. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Do you sell shrimp? And if yes, do you ship to the U.S.? And if yes a second time, do you have a live arrival guarantee? Thanks.

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I ordered from the shrimp farm and was very happy with them. I ordered a set of fire reds. All arrived alive and in good shape. I even have a few little ones after only 2 weeks. I also think you will be hard pressed to find a better deal on RCS.

I have ordered from another place twice and had DOA's each time.

I think a big factor is care in packing and breather bags. Shrimp health when being shipped is probably also a big factor on how well they do with the voyage. I always use overnight shipping with live critters.

5. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Overnight huh? Sounds pricey.

6. ShadowMac

usually between $20 and $40 depending on location and size of what you are shipping. Better they get there alive. Not worth it if you want to only spend $10 and get 3 shrimp. but i usually spend more and consider over night shipping a good investment in my purchase.

I've heard shrimp can go priority 2-3 day mail with good weather and proper packaging. Priority is cheap.

7. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

I guess it might also depend on where they are shipping from as well. Thanks for the info.

8. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

Yes, we sell shrimp which we ship out of the US, which has a live arrival guarantee. See Freshwater Aquarium Shrimp | TheShrimpFarm

Its not too bad. About $25 extra. But we seldom have problems with the 2 - 3 day priority shipments.

9. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

the extra 25 bucks is worth the live arrival and priority shipping. Can you guys do composite packages of similarly priced shrimp? Or do I need to order dozens and dozens at at time? Thanks.

10. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

Unfortunately we do not mix them. The cherries are in multiples of 30, and everything else in multiples of 10.

11. ShadowMac

I would suggest avoiding shrimp that can hybridize because their offspring may not be as colorful. Choose two different genus.

Like I said the pricing on cherry shrimp is unbeatable. I haven't found anywhere that competes. most places like LFS, arizona aquatic gardens, liveaquaria, etc. sell cherry shrimp for $3-$4 a peice. You can get 30 for $40.

I've recently begun a shrimp tank that I hope to use to put shrimp into my other tanks while keeping a strong healthy breeding population in a just shrimp tank.

I chose fire red (sakura) shrimp of the neocardinia genus. and orange eyed blue tigers of the caridinia genus as my two species. The species breed well in freshwater and look great. So I would suggest finding a color you like in the neocardinia genus. and if you want others cardinia. Some shrimp won't reproduce in freshwater as they go through a larval stage which requires brackish or salt water. I avoided those types.

I plan to periodically introduce groups from the same species and color morph from other sources to ensure healthy breeding.

neocardinia have a number of color morphs: cherry, fire red (sakura), blue pearl (same genus different species), yellow, and i have seen mentions of a fire blue.

12. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Do you calculate shrimp loads the same way you calculate fish loads, for example a lot of people go with 1" of fish per 1 gallon of water. Is that how you base your calculations?

My concern is that if I have to order 30 shrimp, but my only tank is 29 gallons, I'm going to overstock it (since it already has two fish in there now).

13. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

So I found you guys had listed Amano shrimp on your site. But I couldn't find them for sale. Do you guys not sell them? My primary reason for wanting shrimp is to control help control some hair algae. The secondary reason is because I think some shrimp tanks look really good. Tertiary reason is because I haven't done shrimp before.

14. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

Correct, no Amano right now. That being said, many of the other shrimp should do a good job eating your algae as well!

15. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

What tends to be the next best eater of hair algae?

To repeat my previous question, when it comes to bio-loading a tank, should I treat shrimp the same way I treat fish, i.e. 1" of fish/shrimp per 1 gallon?

16. ShadowMac

the 1" thing isn't quite accurate for planted tanks. Also, shrimp i've heard 3 per gallon is fine, but in tanks where you have prolific shrimp this can be exceeded easily and I don't think it is a big deal as long as you don't over feed and keep up with maintenance

17. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

That's good to know. Considering that I have a 29G with about 8" of fish in there now, I didn't want to blow up my tank with ammonia since the smallest order of shrimp i can make is 40 (RCS).

18. ShadowMac

that should be fine as long as it is cycled. I wouldn't add a bunch of fish at once because then you could still induce an ammonia spike. I don't think the shrimp add enough bio mass to be terribly concerned with adding 40 to a cycled tank. I have 24+14 babies in my 20 gallon.

I set up my 29 gallon low tech shrimp tank this last weekend and am cycling it now. I will then add all of my shrimp to that tank, then take shrimp from there to populate other tanks as needed.

19. GardenGoddess6

GardenGoddess6 New Member

Shrimp

Anyone know where i could get some blue tiger shrimp?? i checked the theshrimpfarm website but i couldnt find any. I wont be purchasing any yet because i have to set up the aquarium first. So, maybe in a month or so id like to purchase some. :)

20. ShadowMac

I may have some orage-eyed blue tigers in a month or two