1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Should "colorful" Shrimp be used in an Aquascapes?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by John N., Nov 9, 2010.

?

Should "colorful" Shrimp be used in an Aquascapes?

1. Yes

96 vote(s)
    75.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Only in small quantities

21 vote(s)
    16.5%
  4. Other

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  1. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

Wow!!! Thats about all I can say. If post had Audio it would be much louder:)

Sponsored link:

2. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

YIKES that's a MASSIVE amount of shrimp coming out of the woodwork. Is that your aquascape Raymond?

Also, for the discussion, you'll really notice that many of the top aquascapes in the competitions don't really showcase or show any shrimp. There might be a Amano or cherry shrimp, but nothing flashy or in large quantities that distract or add to the aquascape.

My point is, while it appears to be generally okay to have colorful shrimp in an aquascape...most aquascapes do not highlight them, so do they really add much to the overall aquascape?

-John N.

3. arjundogra

arjundogra New Member

I voted yes...i am perfectly fine with adding colorful shrimps makes your scapes come alive, as long as they are not genetically modified or man made...

arjun

4. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

no not mine unfortuantely, i wish we had such colorful cherries here in SA :(

its a tank from shrimpnow, here is the original thread...

i just thought the shrimps added a lot to this scape, thats why i posted it

5. Frosties

Frosties New Member

Holy crap!!! What an amazing quantity of shrimp... Distracting - no... would you see them in a large group like that normally through the day - I doubt it... but in nature - and I am prepared to be corrected here, crustaceans all move around in large groups.
    With this in mind - is that not actually creating a biotope setup rather than an aquascape???
    Either way - my answer is Yes... add them in...

And I have just asked one of my contacts for 100 cherry shrimp to put into my tank!

6. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Really Nice:=D>

7. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Compare the colorful shrimps with discus fish. Too colorful discus look distracting so quality aquascapes use wild caught discus or such that look natural. Same to shrimps, white pearl look same as amano shrimp, tiger shrimp is looking natural too. High grade CRS are no go in serious contest scapes, but they have their own beauty for sure in regular home tanks.

8. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

do those little critters eat marimo balls?

9. seetharam

seetharam New Member

I would say yes, Here is a picture of CRS on a Cuba Carpet in my old Iwagumi Tank, Does add a dash of color :Happy:

[​IMG]

10. JEK

JEK New Member

I voted yes. Amano has also started to use red bee shrimps in small tanks...

11. Kuni

Kuni New Member

Crystal Red and Cherry shrimp are both "man made" - they were selectively bred from wild populations. Wild cherry shrimp are a brown color, and wild crystal reds are black and white.

12. theshrimpfarm

theshrimpfarm New Member

I voted yes. I think it is a nice addition.
    This may just be a few too many for some :)

13. zacks

zacks New Member

i also say yes.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy and hopefully make a good inspiration to putting shrimp in your tanks

14. 8efree

8efree New Member

I voted YES..but this is just my opinion..
    well actually yes or no is depends on our own taste..some are like to match the less colorful shrimp so it can give more natural taste to the ecosystem but other prefers the colorful shrimp to give the joy feeling to the next level..nothing wrong whichever the choice is..

15. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

This is such a strange thread. It's like asking an artist whose medium is acrylic on canvas if it is ok if you dab a couple of specks of red and blue on the painting. Of course there is nothing wrong with it. If you really want to ruin an art form then collect so many imitators, so afraid to step outside the norm, that you end up with a single Van Gough, and another 60 wanna-be Van Goughs making cheap knockoffs.

Copying someone else's work is not the same thing as creating it. Mimicing an art form is great for study, and honing a craft, but when it comes time to produce your own work for the masses, if you are not truly expressing yourself then what is the point?

Fact: If Takashi Amano suddenly started aquascaping in only round aquariums, and declared "square is dead", even though that medium is so utterly shunned in today's circles, you would still see "The Great Round Aquascaping Revival".

The whole "you can't do that because it's just not done" crowd sounds artistically prudish and stilted sometimes. I have to say that, of all the forums I frequent, it is refreshing to see so many on aquascaping world constantly pushing boundries. Yes, sometimes "gimmicky scapes" look over-the-top and cheesy, but sometimes it gives someone else just enough spark in their imagination to quench the genre.

Viva la risk-takers.

16. Mildly Rabid

Mildly Rabid New Member

Risk-takers truly make it art; I would definitely agree. And colorful shrimp certainly add interest. And yet, for some reason the shape that shrimp come in will always be, on a subliminal level, mildly repulsive. Perhaps they just look too much like the evil crayfish that decapitated my sweet little baby softshell turtle that I hatched from an egg.

17. Raven

Raven New Member

I used to have red cherries in my 300 lit show tank. If the population of the colony is low in density, some colourful shrimps are not distracting the eye.
    But red cherries are very keen on multiplying themselves in good conditions, and soon I found out that my glosso carpet turned red during feeding time. Also among plants and moss one could see everywhere red shrimps. In just a few months , the cherries were well over 1000 shrimps, and looked more like a shrimp invasion, rather than a competition aquascape.

I like the view of a swarm of colourful shrimps grazing around, but only in shrimp tanks ... not show tanks and aquascapes.

For my now running mountain-scape layout , I have chosen the much less intense coloured blue pearl shrimps and some amano's.
    To prevent overpopulation, I added a very keen , small shrimp predator (Dario dario).
    There are still hundreds of blue pearls in my tank , but you have to go very near and look carefully to see them.

18. CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW Aspiring Aquascaper

i love shrimp. dont see why not, they always add soo much more in my opinion.

19. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

I voted "other"-- it depends on that layout.

If we are we talking about a 60cm set up with a "cool" all-green theme (moss, bolbitis, ferns), driftwood, pure white sand and all silver fish, then I'd say-- no, those hundreds of cherry/CRS would be very distracting. Just get yourself some Amanos or wild coloration cherry shrimp (brown/grey ones).

If we're talking about a really huge tank-- well then it really doesn't matter anyway, but why would you want to put tiny display shrimp in one of those?

If we're talking about a Mini S with bright colorful plants like HC, Riccia, Ludigia arcuata and rotala species-- HELL YES!~! CRS look amazing in those tanks, just look at any of the small aquariums based on singular wabi kusa at the NA gallery.

So in short, ornamental shrimp are just like fish or plants-- it takes some thought to use them effectively from a design stand point.

20. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

what is the ball that the shrimp are feeding on?? Also I think that it would be a hoot and a haller if you could design a scape around the color of a shrimp and showcase that type. A person could have plants rocks etc to show off blueberry shrimp and another to showcase green bee shrimp, then yellow bee shrimp, orange bee, red cherry etc. with plants that would compliment or match it....hhmmm...there is something amazing about these little jewels. The more the better I say---R