1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ShadowMac's 90 cm Ultratech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

This is the tank after a drastic trimming...more like a clear cutting and a tank treatment of potassium permanganate KMn04. I use it usually in long running scapes to clean them of organic build up. Tank dose is 2 ppm and it should stay purple for four hours. I will go into more detail later or in a specific thread on its uses.

[​IMG]

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

J Art and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

I've also discontinued using the ph controller. It is just too susceptible to problems. A steady rate has always done the trick in the past.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

3. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow, you really did trim back! Some parts of those stones look new to the tank lol

ShadowMac likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

Now that is what I would call a very heavy winter pruning.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. BigAL777

I especially like the reflection on the right side.

keithgh likes this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Yes its a good reflection.

Keith:cat::cat:

7. ShadowMac

Maintenance[​IMG]

[​IMG]

J Art likes this.
  8. BigAL777

What are the thousands of things suction cupped to the aquarium?

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

lol. auto doser tubes for macro, micro, and excel. auto top off system. ph probe and temp probe. twinstar nano

10. BigAL777

Twinstar?!? I thought you debunked that on a podcast episode

11. ShadowMac

no I don't think so. what episode?

12. BigAL777

The one where you explained under gravel heaters and such, do you really notice a difference with it? It's an algae killer, right?

13. ShadowMac

The aquarium woo episode? I talked about the eco aqualizer...there is a link in the show notes.

Twinstar or the Chihiros version inhibits green algae to some extent. Great way to add oxygen to the system. I like mine but only gave one can don't run it on any other tanks. Recommended my friend get one because he doesn't like to clean the glass and it will stay clear for longer with one.

14. BigAL777

Really? Has it been proven? I thought it was a gimmick.

15. ShadowMac

Proven? I haven't seen anything I would consider research proving it. I have seen that it works in my own tank and there is a probable mechanism by which it would/could work. I do not think it is woo, but I also don't think it is a required piece of equipment.

Tim Harrison likes this.
  16. ShadowMac

Quick phone pic from today
    [​IMG]

Tim Harrison and J Art like this.
  17. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

lots of dimension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.
  18. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Did you use superglue for the moss on the rocks?

19. ShadowMac

No it pretty much invaded. I actually cleared a ton of it and riccia out last week. I had put a few stones with moss wrapped around it at one point, the moss invaded and I pulled most of the small stones. It all comes back, which is fine because it looks good. Not sure if I'd use glue on nice seiryu stone. The residue is hard to remove.

J Art likes this.
  20. ShadowMac

BACK TO BASICS

This journal began as an aquarium build that had all the bells and whistles. As I mentioned in the original post, I really wanted to upgrade to a bigger system...but cannot do so until I can finally reclaim the half of the basement my children have stolen away from me :whistle:So, in lieu of that, I started spending my hobby money on upgrading and automating the system. I added an auto doser, a fancy pump, a fancy cerges reactor, I have an aquarium controller automating aeration, CO2, and lighting. I added an auto top off system. While the setup is several years old, I'd struggled for sometime to get ideal growth for a long period of time. More brush algae than I was happy with, would make its way into the scape resulting in a big trim and grow back. Most likely from a combination of things...an old tank with a build up of organics. I tried to rectify this with a treatment of KMnO4. The other thing was fluctuating CO2 levels and maybe too much light. CO2 fluctuated with the reactor because I believe the filter is grossly underpowered for the job it was asked to do. I'll get more into this later. The light was intentional. In past scapes I could really push it to high levels without consequence, thick healthy growth very little algae. It wasn't that way with this scape. Different plants yes...but still some fast growers in here. The E. tennelus (misnamed but what it is sold as) is one of the weediest plants I've ever grown. I hack out tons of it regularly. I could have kept the algae back and gotten nice growth at say 35% intensity on the ATI...but I wanted to push it because I had in the past. Part of this was my curiosity...why couldn't it be pushed like before? What was wrong with my approach...equipment? Well, I think I've learned the answer....the filter flow and capacity.

Why the filter? What lead me to this? I had been suspicious for sometime, but kept focusing on the flow rating. Sure, I knew it dropped with head pressure and media...but how much? I couldn't say without a flow gauge. I don't have one. My instincts kept telling me I needed more flow through the reactor and the filter. So, I had some extra money available and laid on the sweet talk to my wife....and then bit the bullet...I bought an ADA superjet 1200 ES for this tank. ADAs recommended filter for a 90 cm tank. Before I go further, I have to tell you this thing is built like a tank. It is unbelievable. Yes, I'm a total ADA fanboy..more so now. Yes, there stuff is ludicrously expensive. But I can tell you that everything I've purchased has been of a quality unlike any other. This filter...nothing else is even on the same planet as it. Bio media capacity is 30%-50 more than my eheim 2076 (the professional 3 model) and when I hooked it up...WOW:notworthy:...the flow was visibly much stronger. I now have more media volume...and much greater flow through the filter. This improves oxygen levels in the filter, improving the efficiency of the biofilter. The water flows through the plants, moves through thick plantings well. I went back to think about my previous filter and the setups where I could run higher light. The biggest difference was again the filter. Earlier setups ran the eheim 2217 rated at 264 gph, the 2076 is rated at 301 gph. I would put money down the 2217 has better flow...its running right now on my 55 gallon through a DIY cerges reactor and doing great. Visibly, I see more turbulence through the cerges on the 55 than through the cerges that was running with the 2076 on the 90 cm. Here is where things get more interesting. The rating for the 2076 in liters is 1650 liters per hour. The ADA superjet is 1140 liters per hour. The superjet is without a doubt, no flow gauge needed, substantially stronger. Why? Well, the Iwaki pressure rated pump at the top. The thing is a beautiful beast. It is quiet and does work.

My conclusion here is...that the flow ratings on standard canister filters be they eheim's or Rena or Fluval....are all incalculably off. So much so that they cannot be relied upon to estimate if they meet your tank needs. While the possibility exists that the ADA superjet is underrated...I do doubt it and my observations support it. The other interesting thing is the difference between two eheim models running essentially the same equipment...I would even say the 2217 has more head pressure right now due to running on a taller tank. The 2217 has a lower rating, yet visibly stronger than the 2076 professional model. It again highlights the unreliability of the reported flow ratings even between models. The professional model probably suffers from some design flaws (or design choices made for consumer preference or ease of use) rather than the pump is worse. The 2076 has in the intake at the top and must travel down through the inside of the canister, whereas the classic models avoids this and has the water enter the bottom, which may preserve some of the gravitational force from the descending water better. I'm no engineer nor a physicist...but that is the key design difference.

I've had very healthy smaller tanks, bigger ones while healthy have never quite been what those smaller ones were. I think that is because it is easy to scale canister filters to the tanks at smaller volumes. My 45 cm runs the chihiros version of the superjet filters ES 600. I've also been impressed with it. For those not wanting to empty the piggy bank or life savings on an ADA superjet, the Chihiros models might be a good option. I would love to compare directly to the ADA superjet.

I could go on...but I'll sum up this long winded post. We need to forget about canister filter flow ratings, unless its from a pressure rated top mounted pump. The classic eheim designs are better than the professional models. As the title of this post said, I'm taking this tank back to the basic approaches. I dropped the reactor. The problem wasn't the reactor it was the filter..but I'm partial to glassware I've learned. I'm no longer using the pH controller (I haven't been for several months now) and since the flow is stronger with a good surface ripple I've also gotten rid of the automated nighttime aeration. The tank degassed better than it every as over night last night, the first night with the new filter.

Lastly, you want to know why ADA gallery tanks are so clean and healthy? The Superjet filter has a lot to do with it, IMO. (y)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
    Zeus and J Art like this.