1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ShadowMac's 90 cm Ultratech

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Apr 4, 2016.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

a video of the surface ripple to give an idea of the type of ripple I like to have for my scapes.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    J Art likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

The crystal clear water make me jealous hahaha...by the way how is your auto dozer work, i still cant figure how its work

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

3. ShadowMac

are you referring to my DIY auto doser or the one on this tank which is a GHL Doser 2

4. yudagas

Owh i don't know if that dozer was manufactured. Well are both have same working way?? I'll try the diy one

5. ShadowMac

No, they work differently. Major difference is manufactured dosing pumps use peristaltic pumps which are accurate and reliable. They are also programmable.

The DIY one uses an aqualifter pump to move the liquid and flow control valves to adjust the output. A timer, preferably one where you can program seconds, is used to turn on and off.

6. yudagas

The calculation for the DIY one is somehow not work in my head (got red mark on my math class). Gonna stick with old way to dozing.

7. Dantrasy

Dantrasy New Member

Awesome setup, I love all the cool gadgets.

Transparent reactors are the future imo.

ShadowMac likes this.
  8. ShadowMac

I'm starting to regret not giving the soil a bit more of a boost. The S. repens just isn't growing as well and I suspect the soil is fairly depleted at this point. I will probably get some root tabs to help while the scape matures just a little more. Its starting to really look good. It won't make it for IAPLC this year...but it'll be my entry next year.

9. ShadowMac

Check out my thread The Wild Dutchman and the fishroom; it has the DIY system pictured. I can explain in better detail how its done there.

10. ShadowMac

Fun news on this setup!

While I was out of town this week for work I came back to my GBRs who had spawned. They are avidly protecting the eggs and I may see some fry in here. Next step is figuring out how to keep the little guys alive and healthy after they hatch. Photos coming soon.

J Art likes this.
  11. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Typical. Parent leaves for a few days and look what happens with the teenagers....

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Having had teen ages its amazing how their attitude changes when they have teen ages them selves.

Keith:cat::cat:

yudagas likes this.
  13. yudagas

Seems like Tom aqualifter work like air pump...am i right

14. ShadowMac

Sort of, it is able to move liquids too. An air pump would not work. I don't use it on this tank. Please look at the other thread and post your questions about it there.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

15. yudagas

Ah I keep posting wrong thread sorry.

16. keithgh

yudagas

That is not a problem at all.

yudagas likes this.
  17. ShadowMac

Thought it was time for an update.

First news on the spawning Rams. Unfortunately the eggs did not last long. It would seem that shortly after one pair had spawned the second pair was preparing to do so. This lead to both pairs becoming very aggressive. The first spawning pair just grew too tired guarding the eggs and eventually retreated. I'm not sure what happened to the eggs, but my assumption is the second pair ate them then took the space for themselves. Later, it seems they decided on another better location and left without spawning there. By observing the fish I'm fairly certain I've had at least two spawns in the tank between the two pairs. They've been great to have in the tank as their behavior is so dynamic.

Regrettably, I lost one of the females yesterday during water change and maintenance. She was very stressed from the CO2. Due to being gone the weekend before and being very buys, I did not get my water change in. This lead to the KH creeping upwards and thus the CO2 levels which are controlled by a pH probe doing the same. Either the stress of the water change did her in...or it was my fault for another reason. She may have gotten caught up in the thick plant growth in the back as the water drained and thus suffocated as the water level dropped. I didn't see her until after the water change was completed. I will have to be more mindful the next time.

Tank has had quite a bought with some algae. It is not the typical BBA, almost like a BBA and staghorn combo. Stem tips lead me to believe there may have been something with the CO2...but all indications like drop checker and pH meter would say otherwise. My instincts tell me it is CO2, light, combined with heavy stocking and organic loads. Also the delay in the water change probably increased the outbreak. It wasn't really spreading to new leaves, just growing thicker on leaves it had already infected. Hopefully a good cleaning and readjusting the light and CO2 will lead to improvement. Growth as of late does look good in the S. repens, which is the plant in here that would show stress first or more severe stress. For a while leaf shape was not very good. I increased dosing to 2x EI, not sure if it helped.

I've added some H. pinnatifida to the stones as I felt something was missing. Stems in the back are filling in and once grown out and trimmed once more will look very good. I'm letting the background get more wild by allowing the E. tennelus to mix more with the blyxxa. An Amano inspired move.

Here is a quick update photo after yesterdays maintenance. The working title for this tank will be "Arigato"

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Gary Murphy, keithgh and J Art like this.
  18. keithgh

A very nice healthy planted tank.

ShadowMac likes this.
  19. frroK

frroK New Member

Awesome scape and I am enjoying the new podcast. Cheers!

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. ShadowMac

Thank you! Glad to hear it.