1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ShadowMac's 45 cm

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Apr 13, 2016.

1. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

I see you had an atomizer in one photo, and the latest has a glass diffuser. Do your plants prefer one over the other?

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Plants don't care how they get CO2 as long as they get enough. I've become less and less a fan of atomizers. Lots of small bubbles everywhere which is a look I don't like. Glass diffusers use more CO2 but don't cloud the water with bubbles.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

3. ShadowMac

Update from today. The HC needs trimming and you can start to see some of the color poke through. It will stay low grown however.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. ShadowMac

Today I noticed a little dulling or browning of the scape. I suspect this is a "secondary cycle" from adding the fish. Things are again acclimating a bit and I may see a little increase to algae or even a re-emergence of some diatoms.

I've ruled out CO2 or nutrient issues because growth looks good.

J Art likes this.
  5. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

Pretty solid scape. I like the cool color temp especially from the lower viewpoint because of the effect on the surface.

Might be interesting to try lighting the wall to even out the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. ShadowMac

These have all been impromptu phone pics. I have back lighting led strip I plant to try with these two. Once I get a cabinet built I will add the light strip. I also may build a frame of sorts to hold the backing up. I'm thinking white would work best for various led colors

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

7. BuckDitkus

BuckDitkus New Member

I apologize for not understanding how this works. Are the photos that are posted at the beginning of this thread actually the aquascape that you had in this tank before the one you are documenting now?

8. ShadowMac

Yes those photos were of the last scape. I thought I had mentioned that in the first post

9. ShadowMac

I thought this needed something...[​IMG]

J Art likes this.
  10. Orlandog7

Orlandog7 Aspiring Aquascaper

I like the previous one much more :)

11. ShadowMac

The photos without the stems? The fish seem to disagree with you ;) They were spawning yesterday and like the comfort of the stems.

Give it some time...these were just added so need some time to grow and a few trimmings. They will probably be kept low. We will see how it goes...for me the tank is more interesting, but lots of folks like the simplicity of just a green carpet.

J Art likes this.
  12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

How is the tank going now?

I am interested to see how the tall plants could have changed the Aquascape completely.

To me you have seemed to lost the natural low flow.

Keith:cat::cat:

13. ShadowMac

An update of the current scape. The last one wasn't a great scape, this one is much better.

Hardscape work:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shortly after planting:

[​IMG]

progress:

[​IMG]

Day 60 or so

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

keithgh likes this.
  14. Culprit3

Culprit3 Aspiring Aquascaper

So you are saying if you just leave it alone, if everything is right, then eventually the plants will start outgrowing the algea? Won't they not be able to because the algea will smother them so they can't grow?

15. ShadowMac

I'm not saying leave it alone. You still need to keep up on maintenance, remove the algae, spot treat the algae, etc. But if everything is progressing well and the plants are healthy and establish and grow then the algae one gets in the startup phases will not be a persistent and overwhelming problem. Its normal to get algae, particularly in the beginning. What I mean by hit the panic button is that they start fiddling with all sorts of things like fert dosing, light, or CO2 creating more instability within the tank. Instability the plants struggle to adapt to but algae readily adjusts since it is far more opportunistic. You must observe the plants for healthy growth, particularly root growth in the beginning to judge whether or not you have sufficient CO2, nutrients, flow, etc. If things are growing well and you keep up with maintenance then the algae will eventually go away without smothering the plants because it will never get that bad. Focus on growing plants, not algae.

keithgh and Zeus like this.
  16. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

An excellent reply.

Keith:cat::cat: