1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ShadowMac's 45 cm

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I'll start with my last scape in the 45 cm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    Asthaparhim, J Art, BBogdan and 2 others like this.

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

The current scape will be an Iwagumi.

DSM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

3. ShadowMac

A couple weeks after flooding

[​IMG]

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

4. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

so cool. lots of dimension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

A very interesting use of colours and textures.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. keithgh

Shawn

When the old rock wall method is used and done with a lot of thought it can be very interesting as its full of character.

7. ShadowMac

The tank has interesting dimensions. I think it actually mimics the ratio of the 120 cm high from ADA. Probably the tank size I like best as I find all my favorite Amano scapes are done in that tank. The stones are my favorite group...and the first set I ever purchased. They've seen more use than most any other set of stones. A lot of good angles to them, so I can keep using them to create different looks The big one has been the focal of two scapes, so I downplayed it in this one and used it to build up the substrate and support the focal stone of this Iwagumi.

I'm getting tempted to put two groups of stems in here. Rotala macandra or R. macandra "green" on the left and behind the focal stone. I will probably wait though for it to mature as is.

8. ShadowMac

The story of the old scape is an interesting one. My scapes always evolve. It was originally planted much like this second one, but with hairgrass in the back. Late I decided to try some riccia in places. Later I added the stems because I thought the disappearance of a background behind the stones was odd. I later removed the riccia because it was too big and full for the look and obscured the front of the stones too much. Well, by that time it was everywhere. It completely invaded the hairgrass on the left side, so much so you can barely see the hairgrass. I began to work with that and trimmed the slope which is just very dense riccia interwoven into hairgrass. It turned out cool, but nothing I planned for. I finally had to rescape because the matt was getting so dense it was beginning to float up.

9. keithgh

Shawn

Sounds like what I have done over the years you keep changing things around and in the end its totally different to the original thoughts.

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. ShadowMac

Diatoms and some green dust algae setting in. Low plant density in these types of scape make keeping it back a challenge. Combine that with the fact this light is very high, anywhere from 180 mmol PAR in the corners to 220 at the top middle. This will just be the scape for a while until everything adjusts and grows in. Some C. parva leaves have melted as well. I'm not worried, very similar to the nano and that has matured great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. keithgh

Shawn
    C Parva can melt very easily just leave them alone and there is a good chance they could regrow, if you have fert tabs this just might help them to start growing again.

12. ShadowMac

Thanks Keith, yes I know. crypts can melt particularly when adjusting. I don't have root tabs around and no particular need with new aqua soil in the tank. They are growing, just some melt of the emersed leaves.

Ed Villagracia likes this.
  13. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I placed a white sheet between my light and my aquarium to dull down the light. It's working well so far.

14. keithgh

Shawn

I always let my Crypts float in one case about one month and the roots had started growing, as far as lighting they were very close to the light and never a concern.

15. ShadowMac

Things are moving along. The high light and relatively low plant density has led to some prolonged diatoms and some green algae. But once the growth gets thicker and I trim it away I shouldn't see anymore. I've added some shrimp to start eating at it.

[​IMG]

keithgh and J Art like this.
  16. keithgh

Shawn the Shrimps should breed faster than rabbits in that tank, also excellent for fry to hide.

17. ShadowMac

I need to update this...algae is pretty much gone and the HC has grown in. I should mention I have still not trimmed this, but will soon.

I should mention I have added a video of the last scape to the top post.

Dantrasy likes this.
  18. keithgh

Shawn

Sounds like every thing is going all OK now regarding that tank.

ShadowMac likes this.
  19. ShadowMac

[​IMG]

The HC has grown in and no more algae. I have a couple surprise stems which should begin to emerge and give some variation to the carpet.

Tim Harrison and J Art like this.
  20. ShadowMac

I would say nothing was ever really wrong with it. Algae in some cases is part of the natural growing pains of a tank, particularly one with high light. Even if CO2 is right, you simply do not have enough plant mass to inhibit the algae. Now that I have enough plant mass the algae is no more. Lots of beginners hit the panic button the moment they start to see algae. They forget that algae to some degree is a natural part of the system and it is present in all tanks, despite what those polished photos may have people thinking.

BigAL777 likes this.