1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

ShadowMac's 30C Seiryu stone scape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Aug 28, 2012.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I thought I would share my latest scape in my 30c. My wife was kind enough to get me lily pipes and the Aquasky for our anniversary, so I thought a rescape to match the nice hardware was in order.

Here are the specs:

Tank Dimensions: 30x30x30cm (ADA 30C)
    Filter: Eheim 2211
    Light: ADA Aquasky
    Pressurized CO2 with GLA Nature Beast Regulator and Atomic atomizer from GLA
    Substrate: ada aquasoil and sand
    Ferts: DIY daily EI solution in droppers (roughly 3 ml micro and macro every day)
    Flora: Hemianthus micranthemoides, Blyxxa japonica, Hygrophila pinnatifida, rotala macandra "green", rotala singapore, Staurogyne repens (049), round pelia aka subwaasertang
    Fauna: unknown number of RCS, 3 pygmy cories and 10 B. brigattae

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The tank was just trimmed prior to these pictures. The tank was at the two week mark. I have to say I really like the Aquasky, it has brought out a lot of great colors in the rotala sp. It is a strong light and pressurized CO2 is a must with it. I know some have mentioned the legs are a bit "chunky" but in person it is not bad at all and I actually like the design whereas I did not when only seeing it in pictures. I'm currently getting a bit of algae at 3 weeks, mostly green and brown algae on the rocks and glass. It might be time to consider some nerites or a couple ottos as the shrimp don't seem to be cutting it. I hope to continue to update this one. I am really pleased with it so far.

kinyko, Yoda, diego.s and 3 others like this.

Sponsored link:

2. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

nice! I like it so far..good composition of rock an' plant alike..:) waiting for near future updates Shawn..:)

ShadowMac likes this.
  3. ShadowMac

Thank you! A few trims of the stem plants and it will be in good shape, if I can keep the algae at bay. I'm assuming this is the usual bloom with a new setup, once the plants get established and the roots fill in I think the plants will out do the algae. I'll try a few nerites I think. The white eggs won't be very noticeable on the seiryu and they scrape everything very clean.

4. abhradip1986

if you can get your hands on Psilorhynchus balitora it can be great too..it's an indian native fish with similar features/characteristics to an otocinclus..;) to be honest I found em' to do a better job than nerites..:) One question - you said you are using ehiem 2211 for the tank, 30cm cube is like 1ft. cube - is it not an' overkill for a tank this size, I was in two minds to get the same filter for my 1ft. cube instead went for a resun mini canister (does a damn well job too), plus what filter media are you using in that?

5. yankadi

yankadi Aspiring Aquascaper

Your rocks like candy (y)

6. cjiejian

cjiejian New Member

nice~~

7. ShadowMac

Yeah, ottos don't do the job on the stones well enough, so I thought some nerites would work. I will look into the fish you mentioned. The eheim 2211 does provide a good amount of flow. The lily pipe helps broaden the flow so it isn't overpowering. It would not be a good filter for fish who prefer a slower current. Currently in the filter I'm using two different types of eheim media and seachem "Renew". I ran across it and thought it might be a gentler alternative to purigen. Also once it wears out it will make a good bio media.

8. andyh

andyh New Member

Love it, the rock work is really distinct.

Talk to me about your Aquasky........... Well made? Bright? Controls? Looks fab first time i have seen one on a tank. Anymore pics?(y)

9. ShadowMac

Hi Andy, I think it is well constructed, very bright. Good CO2 management is a must for this light. I'm getting phenomenal colors from my stem plants and the root development has been superb. I wish I could get it in my 90p. There are no controls other than a switch on the power cord. It would be cool if it came with dimming or controller. I've been very happy with it. The appearance the light provides is nice, greens are bright and the other colors pop. I even see a little pink in my H. pinnatifida. I really can't see enough good things about the light.

I will take some more pics this weekend and put them up. The algae I saw for about a week has been going away now that it is hitting its stride.

10. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

They've announced it's going to be $700us for the 60cm version, I can't imagine how much a 90cm would cost. The legs I have to admit look much better on the 60cm version.

Any chance of getting your hands on a par metre Shawn?

11. ShadowMac

Holy hell $700!!!!:eek: No way, that thing would have to do water changes, dose, trim, and feed to spend that kind of money. I wonder what it will look like, how many LEDs it will have, the number of rows. This design, but longer, would have some spread issues in a wider tank. Archaea Intl. came out with some new LED's around the same time as the aquasky. I'm wondering if its the same type of LED's just from a different company. The lights cost WAY less, <$100 for a 60cm version. My 12 gallon runs their old LED which is relatively dim, but has grown hair grass and R. repens fine.

the price for the tile style LED's like echotech are also cost prohibitive.

I don't know anyone with a PAR meter around here, but I could put some more effort in trying to figure it out. I highly doubt my LFS has one, but I will inquire. Maybe a reefer in the area has one. I used to work with a guy who was a die hard reefer. I will look into tracking one down and see if I can get some measurements.

12. Garuf

13. gamma

gamma Guest

Hey Shawn!

Nice setup!
    I wonder, if and how you might have attached the lomariopsis lineata at the rocks. Without attachment, the 2211 might blow it elsewhere...
    I'm excited, when the Hygrophila pinatifida gains height, looking for further pics...

He has point...
    Lmao.... As long as it is straight...

cheers
    Eva

p.s.: Good luck with the Algae

14. ShadowMac

I tied the round pelia to small black lava stones with cotton thread, then placed the stones in where I wanted the round pelia. It stays in place and looks nice.

15. ShadowMac

A little post weekend update with more pics from other angles.

Algae is under control and receding. Co2 is on point and as long as I keep the drapes closed from the patio in the morning I won't be seeing algae anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some pics of the growth. I trimmed the rotala macandra "green" quite a bit, so there aren't any tips in this pic of it. It looked so good I wanted to add it to my 90p and see if I could get the same growth out of it. The light had turned off before taking these pics so the stems had closed for the night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out the root development, every plant in this tank is sending down roots like mad. This is the healthiest growth I've gotten out of a tank to be honest. This is a month of growth.

[​IMG]

Yoda, diego.s, Cecska and 3 others like this.
  16. Garuf

Looking really good and good to hear you've got the algae under control.

17. Asthaparhim

Asthaparhim Aspiring Aquascaper

Very nice tank and your plants look very healthy ! I'm thinking of getting B. brigattae too, are they doing good in your tank with that amount of light and flow?

18. ShadowMac

The B. brigattae do very well. The flow isn't overwhelming. They are the most friendly small fish I have come across. I tried a few others that just hid in the back of the tank. These little guys come up to say hi and know who feeds them.

19. abhradip1986

any recent photo updates Shawn?

20. ShadowMac

Here is what I have on my phone from the last week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm still working on getting the stems up and bushy to the top right of the tank and then flowing down to the left. Another trim and it may be in final photo shape. I'm playing with the idea of swapping out the H. pinnatifida in the rear left with Ammania "bonsai". I'm also thinking of having some HC grow over the right side of the stone, draping over it like vines on a cliff. The blyxxa is actually flowering under water and has a bold bronze color. I know many say the type of light doesn't matter, but the Aquasky has made an incredible difference in growth. My CO2 system, filtration/flow, has all been the same. The colors in here remind me of Autumn.

I plan to try and edit together a video when I have some time. I'm adding some SS CRS to this tank and selling the low grade fire reds this week.

Let me know what you think of the ammania bonsai as a stem in the rear left middle either replacing or growing behind the H. pinnatifida and of the HC growing off the focal stone.

And just for fun....a teaser of my 90p.

[​IMG]

Yoda, greenfinger 2, diego.s and 2 others like this.