1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Seiryu Stone 60x30x35

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Gary Murphy, Sep 11, 2015.

1. saifali

saifali New Member

This is my first post I am making on this forum , myself also being new to Aquascaping ... or new to everything itself.

I like Keithgh idea on black and or soft marine blue. Vinyl idea is good which I made just try. You can also try with bristol board just for a Dollar at local dollar store get a couple and place it in the back to see how it might look then from there move on to the getting a vinyl/ tank background or even print your own out which some people have done .

I like the tank its coming along great , your time , patience and hard work have not gone to waste.

Gary Murphy and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Gary how are you going to Cycle your tank depending on the method used it can take from 2 weeks till ??????.

If you can get any cheap floating leafy plants use them as this will certainly help.

Planting I would leave it alone once you start the cycling process and see how everything goes.

Keith:):)

Gary Murphy likes this.
  3. Gary Murphy

Gary Murphy Aspiring Aquascaper

Thank You Saifali and welcome to ASW. I was going to do a fishless cycle Keith unless there is another way that would be a lot quicker?

Im going to get some more Monte Carlo over weekend and put some at the back of the tank with the DHG to give it more of a natural look.

4. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Gary Murphy likes this.
  5. Gary Murphy

Yeah I was looking at the Bio Bottles but like you said there are very conflicting opinions on them, It is always a good idea to use old filter media but unfortunately im using a new filter. I might ask at my LFS and see if they use anything like that on there tanks.

Ive also just got some more Monte Carlo for the back of the tank to mix with the DHG as I think it will give the tank a better feel. Im going to be patient with this tank as I think I will get good results in the long run. :D

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  6. keithgh

Gary I have found Seachem Stability is easy to get and if you follow all the instructions you will not have any problems.

Yes fresh old filter material and plenty of floating leafy plants certainly helps.

The problems always happen when you add this and that because they read it on the WWW and it must be correct.

The other point is many LFS will sell you "Its as good as because we use it our selves" sales talk.

Gary Murphy likes this.
  7. Gary Murphy

I will get a Bio Starter as I have used Sera Nitrivec in the past and it has been a lot quicker establishing good bacteria in a new tank. Its going to be a few weeks before I do any of that as Im planting some more Monte Carlo this weekend and giving it a few weeks to root and grow out. Will update with pics now and then.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

Gary the reason I do not mention Sera Nitrivec is depending where you live it can be very difficult to get.

Personally I would use Sera Nitrivec if you can get it.

9. saifali

saifali New Member

Gary , if you can try using a white bristol board from Dollar Store or a white screen in the background .I noticed alot of people with similar stones and setup using it , looks really nice.

Heres a very nice looking one as a example , wont hurt to try =) I wonder how a white backdrop would look with your setup.

10. keithgh

Saifali unless I am mistaken its a paper product for drawing on and I don't think it would like getting wet, that is the reason for recommending the Vinyl book cover material which has a contact side no adhesives required.

11. Gary Murphy

Im going to get a black background as I think it will compliment whats in it, Cheers Guys!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. Gary Murphy

I was reading that Aqua Soil will oxidize NH4 into NO3 in about 3-4 weeks when doing a fishless cycle and will have bacterial colonization. It says I can add fish 1 week after flooding as long as I do a few water changes to flush out any left over NH4.

Can anyone confirm this who have used the dry start method?

Heres the Link: http://www.barrreport.com/forum/bar...the-dry-start-up-method-for-planted-aquariums

13. keithgh

Gary

I have seen and read that before but I have never spoke (not on a Forum) to any one who has done it.
    There would be several depends, fish used, number of fish and most important of all water changes how often also what percentages.

Call me old fashioned I would stick to the method I know that works every time.

14. Gary Murphy

Yeah Ive just got some Sera Nitrivec what im going to use and give a week or 2 before adding any fish. I just got a black background, What you think? I think it looked better without it. Sorry about the photo its a little steamy in there haha ;)

Before:
    photo 2 weeks.jpg
    After:
    WP_20151019_21_39_48_Pro.jpg

lucasgg likes this.
  15. keithgh

Gary
    [​IMG]
    Plenty of greenery black OK but not when you have black stones.

Sera Nitrivec that is great fantastic Bio Starter.

Before you use the Sera Nitrivec I would do at least 3-4 30% water changes and buy plenty of cheap leafy floating plants all that and it should be safe in about 2-3 weeks.

Please follow the instructions and do not add any thing to hurry it up this can slow the Cycling process down considerably.

Test regularly and completely ignore the pH results as it will be over the place, it will settle down when fully cycled.

Most important add your fish a few at a time and start of with the hardiest fish first.

16. greenfinger 2

Hi Gary, I agree A lighter background does look better ;)

Gary Murphy likes this.
  17. keithgh

Gary I used a Marine blue on my last Aquascape it seem to give it a good distance perspective.

18. Gary Murphy

Yeah im going to give it a few weeks before I add any fish. I was planning on flooding the tank at weekend as my Co2 is ready to go. PH was a concern for me as I know Aqua Soil and Seiryu do affect PH Levels so i will be monitoring them. Ive been looking for a light blue background online and at my LFS but not had any luck so far.

Ive already decided that im having some tetras in there and ive always wanted a Betta fish so tempted to get a twin tail betta aswell.

19. greenfinger 2

Gary Murphy likes this.
  20. Gary Murphy

Thanks Roy I will keep an eye out :)

Ive noticed last couple of days im getting some yellow leaves on some of my Monte Carlo. Im a little concerned the temperature might not be high enough due to the change of weather its getting a lot colder here now, especially during the nights. Its spreading and im seeing roots though. Any ideas?

WP_20151020_19_12_22_Pro.jpg WP_20151020_19_12_44_Pro.jpg