1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

saintly's LFS display (iwagumi)

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by saintly, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

haha, nice idea to try it again to remember why you didnt like it :D
    First time I tried HC failed but now it is doing fine in my nano and I like it, so there is some hope for you Marc and the P.Helferi :)

Sponsored link:

2. Leonard

Leonard New Member

What do you think about a black background (like in the first pictures), or maybe dark grey? I think it would be even better than the blue.

Btw, it looks really nice!
    Do you think the Oliver Knott substrate is better then AquaSoil when you compare cloudiness in water?

3. Jurijs mit JS

aquasoil - there is cloudiness
    oliver knott nature soil - there is no cloudiness at all

4. saintly

saintly Aspiring Aquascaper

Thanks everyone,

james, it's just a quality piece of photographic quality backing. waterproof too. it's not cheap but gives a stunning result. even in reality.

it is absolutely viable to go and make your own using PS and a good printers.

IMO the oliver Knot substrate is really proving itself to be a very good competitor to ADA AS. the main thing is water clarity....it's amazing.

5. saintly

OK guys, heres a photographic update.

fish added

15 x platinum tetras
    ottos
    shrimp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Simply Superb. What is the capacity of that Wave maker You have installed?

7. Kimppa

Kimppa Aspiring Aquascaper

It´s fantastic! There´s nothing i dont like...you have created a great piece of art!

8. JamesM

JamesM New Member

Will you have my babies? :D

9. James Marshall

James Marshall New Member

Wow, another masterpiece in the making.

Cheers
    James

10. saintly

:"> thanks guys.

cheers, both james'

thanks also kimpa.

tirtha, i'm using a korolia number 2 power head but i van remember he rating. brilliant bits of kit for good co2 distribution in large aquariums

11. Morten

Morten New Member

Indeed a great aquascape, candy for my eyes. :hail:

12. Enrico Serena

Enrico Serena New Member

Wonderful, i really like it.
    Cheers

13. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Although probably not to the liking of competitions I think this is your best scape yet and one to match anything in my eyes. You seem to have got everything right in this one.

I think the thing you've managed to hit on here wether by luck or by planning is the right combination of plants/rock/light/fish/background.

The light coloured rocks with the vibrant lighter green plants against the black background looks amazing. The lights have the perfect K to set it off and the fish suit the effect incredibly well.

It should be a competition winner and hopefully it will be. AGA is just around the corner and going hi-tec may give you a chance of entering :) I hope it is ready and I hope you enter it :)

Absolutely Superb

AC

14. Jurijs mit JS

Andy, we realy don´t want Mark to take part in competitions :) Because then we will only see detail shots and no more frontals on this pieces of art.... :D

PS: Mark, are you still sad on competitions after the accident with your 120 last winter?

15. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

That isn't a problem for AGA ;) Nothing in the rules about it.

Mark I have a question for you ;) What are you using for the black background? Is it flush to the tank, stuck on or is it set back etc? I am curious and after criticising black backgrounds for Eons yours is convincing me that I should see what it looks like on mine :)

AC

16. saintly

Jur4ik, competitions are of course to some the pinnacle of a hobby but for me, I'm not all that bothered. although i will enter one day when i have something that i feel will do well.

some say enter to get judges feedback, but i already know where the problems are within my tanks, i dont need a judge to tell me. also i am unsure how the judging is handled.

for e.g how can a judge adjudicate an iwagumi when they have limited knowledge on the subject? and admit that!....i think IAPLC iwagumis should be judged by amano alone.

i've been critiqued on this very arrangment and when layed side by side to a particyualr amano layoit they are almost the same in terms of focal points and heights

so the people who critiques obviosly dont know. this anoys me.

Andy mate, thanks very much for your kind words. now to get critique from yourself means a lot to me, know from what camp your from. :proud:cheers bud.

The background is the usual LFS black shiney varitey. on this tank it's tight to the glass. but on autumn blush there about 3 inches away from the glass.

as you know the higher the lights are from the tank the less likely your to suffer from shadows from the tank on the background.

17. sworrall

sworrall Aspiring Aquascaper

I really like the valley effect off this shot. the fish look like theyre made of steel :D
    Whats you preference with the background for photography having used both, stuck on or just behind?

18. saintly

good question stu.

IMO/E with flash on a black background either will work. with a grad background also works on and off the glass.

but with normal tank lights I'd put the background away from the glass.

it's all about a trade off. making the lights higher eliminates the shadow line we usually get but we loose valuable light for a quick shutter speed...

i'd say with flash, it's no problem on or off the glass.

word of warning though.....when shooting with black background, put some kind of shield between light and background as you get light spill on to the background casting slight light onto it making it off black. these above images have no image manipulation, there all from camera and you can see how deep the blacks are.

with light blue or grad backgrounds, you want light spill.

19. sworrall

sworrall Aspiring Aquascaper

wise words :) Ive had this grey effect when I first started photographing my rio 125, now I know why!

for my new tank coming in september Ive even bought a new vertical radiator to replace a horizontal one so I can move the tank along and get a clear background with no pipes in! the lengths we go to eh

20. saintly

oh yes, massive lengths. if it wasn't for the wife, I'd turn my house into the UK equivalent TO nag :))