1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

RockvsWood 47 Gal Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by RockvsWood, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

image.jpg

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RockvsWood

At the moment to me it has the wild swampy look about it.

My biggest concern is those white river stones they stand out so much its very distracting (reason for B&W photo the first thing you see is those stones and no matter where you look your eyes still come back to them.)

My suggestion would be to replace all of them with dark rocks that are full of character certainly not smooth black river stones,

[​IMG]

Keith:cat::cat:

RockvsWood and ShadowMac like this.
  3. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

You're right, they stand out even more now that I scrubbed the stones of algae before taking the photo!
    The overall look seems to be influenced by how I trim the JF trident too I think, as it shows the flow. The moss is growing quite well, and so is the Ludwigia repens.

Its had a problem with diatoms you can't see in the photos but I've had to trim back a lot of the crypts and anubias, so the tank isn't really growing in.. Tap water could be high in silicates but not sure.

4. HORUS

HORUS Aspiring Aquascaper

The bark on the tree can make the problem their decay. It seems to me that you 're not the bark of the tree removed.

5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RockvsWood

Can you ask your water supplier about that?

Regardless of cleaning the rocks or not they are not suitable for your Aquascape.

Keith:cat::cat:

6. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Moved some plants around... Not sure on which background is best??
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

7. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

Can you try a medium brown color as your background? I like the layout, I feel as though you need more green. Maybe cabomba behind the woodwork? Maybe java moss or taller swords weaving through the branches? I don't know, it just looks like a deep green element would really make this tank stand out and look like "swamp thing" lol. With how tall it is, I personally would make the wood the focal point. It has a beautiful shape to it and something broad and solid green might make the wood pop a little more.

I drew a couple lines on your photo to maybe help (I'm still a noob, so feel free to completely ignore me lol)
    [​IMG]
    I think the plant circled in red is too brightly colored, it becomes the focal point and doesn't really go along with the rest of the scape. The brown line is just my personal opinion, I think it would look good with another branch there to keep the eye moving from right to left.
    I'm no professional nor have I even come close, I just know what my eyes want to see. Feel free to ignore me though, I won't be offended lol

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    RockvsWood and keithgh like this.