1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

RockvsWood 47 Gal Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by RockvsWood, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

There's no background on at the moment, don't know why it looked green there lol. Yes good point i'll have some things done to give more depth and have the roots look further away.

Sponsored link:

2. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

A few updates:
    Ordered the Co2, got some plants (crypts, Java fern Trident <3, and spiky moss).
    And as you can see the slope is much higher on the RH side! Nothing is planted yet still floating so it's quite the mess:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just taken tonight:
    I took out the plants so you could see better and banked up the substrate more, also did a wc but it's too murky really. Will have a clearer photo tomorrow. I want to show my planting plan etc. and get feedback from the experts before going ahead.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: I'm kind of concerned about this slope becoming anaerobic as two corys died yesterday without obvious causes after tearing down the other large slope. There was a pretty bad smell after moving it too.. Hopefully it won't be as bad this time as I used large rocks as the base and growing plant roots should help..

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

As long as you plant densely the roots will keep the substrate from becoming anaerobic.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

RockvsWood likes this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RockvsWood

I might help while you can do several good deep vacuums when you do your water changes.

Keith:cat::cat:

5. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Hi guys just tried moving things around a bit today. Got a bag of gravel and picked out some that were somewhat similar to the substrate and scattered them around on your advice Keith!
    It's an improvement I think but i'm getting frustrated with the smaller wood pieces that I have tbh.. Was feeling a bit dejected about the whole thing! But what made me laugh was when I tossed everything back in before the lights went off, it somehow looked better than my other attempts :L.

In two weeks I can buy some pieces, but in the meantime i'll still be hunting for some in the same area I got the main one. Questions though, how do I edit a photo to mark my plans? And please tell me what my next steps should be as i'm feeling a little lost! Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. keithgh

RockvsWood

That is a great improvement, those stones are way to small see if you can find any bigger stones try the local landscape garden suppliers remember they must be the same colour as the substrate.

I edit using Photoshop Elements its not free.

RockvsWood likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

I think as a beginner its important to not get too caught up in the design aspects and focus on the basics like growing the plants well. Adding the some stones like Keith suggested is an easy way to improve the hardscape.

Time to learn to grow plants well and worry less about the hardscape arrangement and overall impression.

8. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Shawn I can grow plants well and have done planted it's just aquascaping that I'm new to. I'm more interested in the design aspects now and this is why I joined Aquascaping world.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
    keithgh likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

Okay, well then I suppose the next step is getting together a good number of larger stones. I would use them as a base for your wood and make it appear the wood is growing into or over them. I'd make a larger grouping in the back right corner to act as the riverbank edge you were going for.

RockvsWood likes this.
  10. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Sounds good! I thought about this.. Should I make the sand area now or after the hardscape?

11. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

[​IMG]
    Been thinking of a sand area like this but going from right to left of course with the flow of the wood? Could work well?

BBogdan and ShadowMac like this.
  12. ShadowMac

that is a very nice aquascape to shoot for, and I think something similar is absolutely doable.

The substrate is most likely a divided one, with plant substrate under all the growth and the sand on the edges. You would place the substrate down first, using something like cardboard to help divide the two sections. Check youtube for videos on how to do it. Then the stones are placed all along the border to help keep things separated. I would then put in the rest of my hardscape like the wood or additional stones. Then work on building up the planted substrate towards the rear from where your wood and stones appear to originate, using additional stones or wood to help keep it built up. Then plant away.

RockvsWood likes this.
  13. keithgh

14. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Haven't posted in a while, here's the current setup. Long term I'm going to collect more hard scape materials and when everything is ready probably do a major tear down. But until then this is my temporary scape:[​IMG]
    (Thoughts/suggestions welcome of course!!)
    (Soon to be added: Black background, a FG carpet of some sort)..
    (Future: Collect; lava rock? I feel this will match the brown/red of the substrate best, different wood roots..)
    image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    ShadowMac likes this.
  15. keithgh

RockvsWood

All I can say at the moment it has the wild look.

ShadowMac likes this.
  16. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Okay cool, I'd appreciate any further thoughts Keith :). Is it just a matter of softening the hardscape with plants now? I feel I've done the best I could with regards hardscaping these materials?

17. ShadowMac

I think so. The hardscape looks good as is...as plants fill in you can start to give it more dimension. If all those crypts grow in big and healthy it will look nice, I think.

RockvsWood likes this.
  18. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

The crypts should grow well over time, I've only been running CO2 the last week or so! Suggestions on a FG carpet? DHG? Monte Carlo?

19. keithgh

RockvsWood

I could not agree any more, personally I would not add any more mass planting, try a few plants and observe which grows the best and which are not worth the effort.

Remember its a wild looking Aquascape leave it alone for at least one year, testing the new plants over that time.

Try and visualise the finished Aquascape it should look very good.

ShadowMac and RockvsWood like this.
  20. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Added a Black background, clump of DHG, and some more cherry barbs. Sold off the Denisons and SAE's.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg