1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

RockvsWood 47 Gal Journal

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by RockvsWood, Apr 18, 2016.

1. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Hi my name is Adam i'm 24 yo and have been in the hobby for a few years but i'm quite the beginner when it comes to aquascaping! I have always loved river systems in nature and that is my inspiration for this setup. James Findley's "Tributary" really tickled my fancy and if my scape ever resembles anything similar to that I would be very happy! [​IMG]

Below is my setup there are a number of things I know it needs but I thought I would post even in it's early stages so it'll be easier to make changes now before it's full of plants!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Apologies for the photo quality hope you can see everything you need to see. I am very happy with the main focal point and I have tried to compliment it with the other wood pieces that I have. I'm unsure about the middle and back pieces as they're not roots and don't know if they can fit in?
    Eventually I will be getting:
    River pebbles, a white background, plants! etc. So just interested to see what you guys think of the concept and what i've done so far :).

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Hi Adam, welcome to ASW and thanks for sharing your tank with us. James Findley is a great aquascaper with a style all his own. Its always a good idea to try and emulate a scape when first starting. It helps pick the right plants and you will also know the system that grew them well.

A couple design critiques to reach that river's edge look. One is I think you will really want to build up the substrate towards the back with stones and wood to make it appear the river bank is just behind the tank and the edge is what is creeping into your aquarium. Since your tank is much deeper than the scape you are looking at I think you should avoid the uneven front edge of the substrate. It will not have the same effect in your tank. This is also why I recommend using hardscape to really build up the height of the back half of the tank. Your wood is nice and works well....just gotta give it some good supporting hardscape to make it look its best.

What equipment are you running? Pressurized CO2? Lighting? Filtration? Anything else?

What is your substrate?

Besides that look what are your goals for this scape? How regularly do you want to do maintenance? Weekly, monthly?

We'll help you get the best scape you can here.

RockvsWood likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

RockvsWood

Welcome to ASW can you fill in your location as well as your country please.

Looking at your Aquascape for the first time is rather interesting particularly the LH end and the mossy Driftwood also the planting back LH corner. Sorry to say that is as far as it held my interest.

The river bed is always a good concept but yours is lacking in shape and interest.

My suggestions would be, add more substrate at the back LH corner slope it to the front RH corner.
    At the front make the substrate the same height from L to R about 6-7 cm deep this will give you a better eye flow

Its too flat all substrate same size and colour making it look all artificial, this can be improved by mixing various sizes of substrate through the existing substrate, plus similar coloured river stones of various sizes thrown around at random.

Then there could be the addition of plants but I would leave the plants until you get the substrate perfect first.

Keith:cat::cat:

RockvsWood and ShadowMac like this.
  4. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Thanks Shadowmac! Great to be here!

I've seen river banks done that way and I do like that idea the only thing is the main wood is limited in where I can orient it because it's so big! As I'm sure it would look best protruding from the bank into the supposed river? It can only turn about 45 degrees or so from where it's standing and anyway it's best side is being shown. I agree I do need better hardscape to support it, it's such an unusual piece I'm concerned about doing it justice and what wood would support it well?

Equipment:
    2x45 watt T5 HO's (also have reflectors but they're not on now), Juwel internal, external filter (JBL greenline), I have a co2 setup just waiting on a co2 tank, and I'm dosing EI method.

Substrate is Manado so it's inert but I do have some ADA powder type that I can plug into the substrate to help certain plants. I've done this already for the ludwigia in the back.

My goal is to make a believeable river bank/bed running high tech using plants that will match the theme. I don't mind doing the weekly maintanence.

5. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Thanks for your comments Keith. My location should be showing I'm from Ireland!

Yes I agree the slopes should be built much higher than they are now! I have plenty of extra substrate so that's not a problem. Also have a bag of white river sand. So the front substrate should be the same height right across the front rather than sloping? Or do you mean have both the back LH and front RH corners the same height?

Ok so I could get graded gravels of the same colour. But just like James Findley's setup, I intend to have most or all of the Manado covered with plants anyway. I'm also thinking of using a white river sand bed and the pebbles with the sand with graded gravels would create the natural look.

6. keithgh

RockvsWood

The more natural your Aquascape looks the over all finish should be spectacular.

Keith:cat:

7. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

I've decided to not copy Tributary as I agree Shadowmac a high slope on the front glass in my tank just won't work, especially if it's very high. So i'm thinking of reversing the wood onto the right side and building the substrate up really high in that corner, maybe to just over half the total height. Then have the wood reaching into a curved sand area in the left maybe? We'll see.. It will be reaching into the room on this side too as opposed to the wall as the tank is in the corner.

The only issue is the filter intake is on the right, don't want to block that up so will have to figure that one out..
    But that side of the wood has much more character don't you think?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    ShadowMac likes this.
  8. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I've always dreamed of a aquascape like that. Give it a go!

RockvsWood likes this.
  9. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think the piece you have works very well for the riverbank concept. I look forward to seeing what you come up with for a hardscape.

10. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Heck, you might even want more wood!

11. keithgh

RockvsWood

[​IMG]

Can I suggest you make up a mock tank it can be made from a cardboard box and a piece of thin plastic for the front.
    That is the ideal one but a simpler one will do the same job for you.
    The substrate can be garden soil or sand. That way you will be able to change the substrate levels to suit your Aquascape.

I agree you could be looking for more hardscape bits and pieces.

12. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

That's a good idea Keith and i'd be doing that except the wood is tied to a dumbell and buried deep in the tank now. Also don't have a box big enough lying around. So i'm just gonna adjust as I go and take things slowly so still working on the hardscape and getting more materials.
    [​IMG]

Will continue to build up the RH slope tomorrow then think about the shape of the sand in the LH area. I'm thinking a curve that wraps around the front of the wood so it looks like it's reaching into a river if that makes sense? Also tomorrow i'm hoping to get some plants!! So far i'm thinking:
    Java fern narrow leaf
    Anubias petite/coffefolia
    Christmas or Weeping moss
    Cryptocoryne Wendtii brown/green
    DHG
    Also something tall and grassy to go behind the main wood like Cyperus helferi, Val nana, or Hair grass?
    Suggestions on plants would be great! If the ones I have currently don't mix in with these or my vision then i'll just sell them off or donate.

Finally I was down at the local garden centre and took a few snaps of their gravel types would love to hear your thoughts on these:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

P.S. I've also realised this is turning into more of a journal than something that's worthy of critique just yet, but that'll change soon :p.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  13. keithgh

RockvsWood

I can transfer it to the Journal if you wish.

One big tip/hint as you are going to have a natural setting remove all the white rocks first, if not they will stand out like a big search light.

See last two photos.

14. yudagas

yudagas Aspiring Aquascaper

Make a little sand fall beside the root, it can resemble natural water source beside the river...well just idea share here

Sent from my EG98 using Tapatalk

15. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

If you could transfer to journal that would be great. Think that would be better for now until it advances further. Thanks for the tips keep them coming! :)

16. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Thanks for the suggestion I will chew this one over.

yudagas likes this.
  17. keithgh

RockvsWood

Its in Journal now I also changed the Title I hope you approve.

:cat::cat:

RockvsWood likes this.
  18. RockvsWood

RockvsWood New Member

Yep perfect thanks Keith! :)

keithgh likes this.
  19. BigAL777

BigAL777 Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm by no means a professional, but from your last picture I feel like there are a few things just a little bit off that my eyes want to see, maybe change the green background to Brown? And possibly something under the meaty part of the RH root shoots (I don't know what to call them lol), like a Moss or something that makes that root look like it's in the background of the tank instead of the middle.

20. keithgh