1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Road Trip to Hakkai Mountain!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Steven Chong, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

Honestly, I have no idea. :p I've heard that Hakkai-seki come from a place that is protected (or something, the details are very vague whether you visit English or Japanese sites-- it's hard to get solid intel), but where I went there were no signs or warning of any kind of protection, and no one around who could have stopped me. I think the guy who gave me the intel might have pointed out a spot to me where it wouldn't be a problem. No idea though.

Sponsored link:

2. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Mr. Chong thank you for taking time to answer my silly ?^:)^

3. Steven Chong

[​IMG]

Just a casual shot, will put up more (and hopefully better) pics later.

Right now:

14x Black Medaka
    5x SAE
    5x Amano Shrimp

4. Chazzam

Chazzam New Member

Nice that larger peice is a beast...

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Great thread and a great tank, mines the same size so I'll be watching how it all comes together for you.
    It's lit with a 150w halide isn't it? The graded gravels work really well, they make me want to tear down my sand and start again with gravels.

6. Steven Chong

No, I have Solar II-- two 36w flourescent. Also I have sand as well, or rather gravel goes back into sand. However, the gravel and sand are the same type of substrate (just different size) from ADA, though the gravel is mixed with some grit I brought back from the mountain.

7. kire.laz

kire.laz Aspiring Aquascaper

WOW :) Great Adventure - I love this kind of stuff

8. Steven Chong

Yeah, just wait. Yesterday, me and Jeff (Senske) went rock hunting in another stream in Niigata. Then we went to a giant garden center I found and arranged to have 6 Hakkai stones that probably weigh in a total of over 1000 lbs sent to ADG in Texas. :p

Keep your eyes peeled on the ADG facebook group to see videos/blogs on the IAPLC party.

9. SuperWen

SuperWen New Member

in geology, that rocks called Basaltic Lava who derived from rapid cooling of lava at the earth surface...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found those rocks at waterfall near my place, and your rocks are definitely similiar with mine, but slightly different in texture and structure due to recent water stream process difference

sorry for my english and the low photos quality :)

10. GeorgJ

GeorgJ Team Flowgrow

Hey Steven,

nice to meet you here in Niigata - it's a pitty that i there is no time for exploring the countryside collecting stones with you. If you visit Germany: you have my number ;)

11. Southpa

Southpa New Member

Nice read.

The Minnesota/Canadian border, as well as the North Shore of Lake Superior area has some real old exposed rock that is very similar in appearance to Seki...

12. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Folks,
    please stop telling us you can collect those beauties near your place - reding and watching the pictures I feel anvy. All hardscape materials are very expansive in my place, maybe this is the reason why dutch tanks have been that popular.
    only kidding, keep up the good work :proud:

Southpa,
    can you show photos of them?

Georg,
    go and get a small Hakai Seki as this will probably be the only piece of it in Germany 8)

13. Riverboa

Riverboa New Member

Wah SuperWen, Batu tuh bagus banget! Kirim ke Amrik please.

14. GeorgJ

GeorgJ Team Flowgrow

Huhu Juri,

i have seen tonns of them at ADA Gallery - all sizes ! I will show some pictures when im back in Germany!

15. CHUNTC

CHUNTC New Member

Juri, you are not the only one envious of them. So am I. Wish I can buy them here in Brunei or Miri.^:)^

16. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

I´ll pay you if you bring me small one ^:)^

17. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Great info superwen.

Steven, it's great to see someone using "lower" levels of light on a tank of identical size to mine, since I'm struck for cash I've spent seemingly forever reading and rereading info on lighting and most people were suggesting I'd fial with anything less than a halide, I've got 2 x 24w which I consider to be plenty of light (that is till I plant the thing and try and grow stuff at which point I'll probably change my mind) so it's good to see lighting which I know produces lower levels of par.
    I'd love to see an update and some close ups of the fish, black medaka's sound wonderful, google only provided searches of rather bland cream coloured fish.

18. Steven Chong

@Garuf-- yeah, I'm not exactly running a super-garden in there. I mean, I got vals . . . moss . . . crypts . . . chain sword. No real need to blast the thing. I think even if I had harder plants, I have more than enough light. You don't really need lots of light as long as things are in balance with CO2 and nutrients.

Small fix. "Seki" just means rock, as in "manten seki", "seiryu seki", "Seki-Tei" (the word you say if you want normal Japanese people to actually know what you're talking since no one knows what "iwagumi" means), etc. etc.

19. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Interesting, normal Japanese does not know the word iwagumi. Does iwagumi Japanese word? or Amano invented the word?

20. Steven Chong

Iwagumi literally means "stone arrangement" if you look at the characters, but it is not a phrase normally used by Japanese. Aquarium guys all use it though. "seki-tei" means rock garden.