1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Review of my plans appreciated...

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by ShadowMac, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I am in the process of pulling together everything I need for a rescape. My last one has not grown out as I envisioned and I'm quite tired of the mess that has grown before me. I would appreciate some thoughts on the composition of my hardscape layout I have chosen.

The branches available:

[​IMG]

Final choice:

[​IMG]

Other options I toyed with...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I felt the centered composition had the best balance. Plants will be a number of stems and C. helferi in the back. Midground: blyxxa, Crypts, S. repens, various other small midgrounds, Ground cover: undecided..depending if I can get my HC to take off. Some riccia covered stones, some eleocharis in places, belem and acicularis. I'm considering using tonina lotus blossom as short stems in one or multiple locations of mid/foreground. I would like a mixed wild look to the foreground.

Branches will have willow moss(because I could find it in suitable quantities) and fissidens fontanus around the bases and front branch with H pinnatifida, maybe trident fern on the branch moving to the front over the stones, anubias nana and nana petite among the stones and mid stone section with a bucelephandra species in one location for a pop of variation. Bolbitus and willow at various heights of the branches accompanied by willow moss.

Stem list (subject to change) P. stellatus "broad leaf", Rotala singapore, rotala indica, pogostemon to comprise the bulk of the green and break up the colors...i would like a suggestion on a good green rotala to mix in the the other colored ones to give a neat mix of shades/colors. another broad leafed red stem, limnophilia hippuroides (or aromatica not sure which i have since i had both at one time and couldn't tell them apart) the larger broad leafed stems will be among the middle third of the scape with a background of the rotala mix. C helferi on the sides and possibly one location within the middle third.

Please share your thoughts and critiques of my plans. Once the project is underway I will start a proper journal. Thanks for reading and commenting! :D

Attached Files:

2. ShadowMac

nothing? really?:cry:

3. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

Honestly I like this one the best:
    [​IMG]

I like your personal favorite also, but why am I attracted to this one more?
    Because it is exactly what your first choice isn't, It's off balance and therefore more natural imo. Your scape as it is now I think is too balanced and symmetrical. Nature is seldom either of those is most cases when in comes to land forms and hard scape. Just like some folks have grown tires of seeing aqua trees, the positioning and centered perspective.

I will say though that nature when presented in the form of Plants and plant structure can be very symmetrical with mathematical like precision. Take a look a Romesco(Cauliflower cousin) for instance:
    [​IMG]

Like a fractal in its precision.

Which ever you choose to go with I am sure will be stunning however I do think its too centered in the scape. Just my .02 bits.

4. youjettisonme

youjettisonme Aspiring Aquascaper

I am excited to follow this journal and watch this one unfold. You are naming so many of my favorite plants so I will get a kick out of seeing them all in one scape. Personally, I like the bluish tinted #6 scape with the branches and rocks on the left. I really love the representation of the flow in a tank, and this scape will give you the best chance and foundation to achieve that. Additionally, it will offer more negative scape in the long run, and that's also and important design element. Anyway, already looking forward to an update.

5. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

Sorry just saw the post today! An excellent plan and execution listing done! I am a great fan of corner scapes so "2012-06-22 16.31.06.jpg" wins my day!! :D Plus the wood that you have is super awesome!! can't wait for it to get started!!! very best of luck.. :)

6. ShadowMac

Thank you for the responses. :D I'm glad I could guilt trip some out of people ;)

The symmetry was the only thing pulling me away from the one I had chosen. I think the very large branch in the other options may be too big. It is massive, the upper third would be out of the top of the tank. I might try some configurations with some other branches for a corner composition.

If I do that, in order to fit the quantity of stems I will have to create some planting pots with the rocks for the midground stems. It may give a cool impression if done right.

With a corner comp. I'm not sure if I should extend the background all the way across with the C. helferi?

7. abhradip1986

For the corner comp. how about a mix of c. helferi an' jancus repens? I really like the composition of that..:D

8. ShadowMac

Maybe this should be the start of the Journal? Would a moderator be so kind as to rename this thread "90p rescape journal" and move to the proper place? I might as well have the ENTIRE process part of the journal.

Plants I have on the way: E. belem, bucelephandra "sekadau 1", riccia fluittans, willow moss (not sure if this will be used) Most everything else I have on hand. An edit from above, the stem for the bulk of the green in the stems will be pogostemon erectus. I need to get some trident fern.

Things I still need to get done:

Finish soaking the wood, new pieces added so I have more options if I change my mind. Soaked in a dilute bleach solution for 1 week, now in regular tap for 1 week, then soak in high dose prime for a couple days to get rid of all bleach. I toothbrushed the wood to remove any soft parts, dirt, etc.

I need to harmonize my lighting intensity on my ATI with CO2 rates. My pogostemon stellatus looks gorgeous, but for some reason my S. repens (049) repeatedly melts. I just can't seem to grow it or a carpet in here yet. ATI is running at 25-30% intensity and CO2 is flying. My recent addition of a Vuppa-1 has been fantastic. I would frequently get a film build up during the lighting period, which really inhibited gas exchange. This would make a healthy level of O2 more difficult with CO2 addition meaning fish reached the danger zone earlier. Since adding the vuppa 1 I have increased CO2 twice with no ill effects on live stock. The film build up would also inhibit flow, there is now a nice ripple that travels across the surface all day. It is really a slick little device. I think one can be DIY for cheap and I may do a thread of how it can be done. The basic idea would be attaching a small cylinder to an inverted pump that would then skim the surface by pulling water down into the pump. It wouldn't look as nice, but would work just the same.

I will then begin tying on fissidens fontanus on the base and "trunk" portions of the branches. I plan to use it like moss grows on a tree, so it will also be attached in shaded portions below the branches. The other moss, currently up for debate...

willow moss:

[​IMG]

or

mini christmas moss:

[​IMG]

or

mini pelia:

[​IMG]

I have asked about this elsewhere, too. The moss will be accompanied by bolbitus ferns on the branches.

9. WabiKasuH20Fall

Mmmmm Bolbitus will look awesome on the branches I have a branch like that right now that is great. Bolbitis heudelotii? Cuspidata? Heteroclita? I have some Cuspidata growing right now I love it despite its slow growth it looks great. Which ever one you choose it will do great, and yes I am still voting for Mini Pellia for the moss. Good luck and have fun tying on that Fissedens, that will be the toughest part, but honestly its not that tough either. You have a pretty low maintnence set up planned so far. Will be nice(y)

10. ShadowMac

The mini pelia is stunning, I just don't know if I can get it in the quantities I want without breaking the bank. AFA doesn't have it in stock right now. One guy has it for sale on Aquabid, but it is $19 for a 2x2" square :eek:. Ironically my last scape in my 30C had a MP moss wall, so I had tons of it. it is gone now :( I will keep my eye out. If I can snatch some up for a decent price I will give it a try in the DSM start of the branches.

I have bolbitus heudelotii. Quite a bit of it, too. It has been growing in my 90p from the start.

11. WabiKasuH20Fall

Ebay is where I go my 5 2"x2" portions. Think I paid under 30 for 5 pads/portions of it. Here is 3 pads for $33 but right now its over all availabilty is limited maybe seasonal not sure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Mini-pel...177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a64b3f401

There is this other ebay seller "aqua-vis" and when he has the MP I would jump on his offerings as I ordered all mine from him and it arrived fast and was in great condition. I know it can be pricey though I was lucky enough to pick up all I needed back in April.

12. ShadowMac

I will keep an eye out. AFA has it back in stock, so that is a good option, too.

13. ShadowMac

After some thought, perhaps such a balanced hardscape is not the best idea...I played around a bit more. Here is what I came up with:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Shadow and abhradip1986 like this.
  14. abhradip1986

me likey!! :D:D

15. ShadowMac

I think I will be doing something asymmetric like the most recent pic.

I have one complaint about the Vuppa-1, it requires a bit of babysitting. If anything floats up and blocks the flow in a tiny amount it begins to spit air and becomes loud. Usually something finds its way in front of it during the night. The improved gas exchange and ripple is worth it though. I have noticed my drop checker changes darker at night than it used to indicating things are gassing off better most likely meaning I am having better oxygenation, too.

16. Blue_dolphin

Blue_dolphin New Member

Your wood material is very nice!
    The first branch in the left is too vertical, you could switch it a little bit to the right.
    Other branchs is quite tangled, and they are in a surface, that make your layout narrow, you should let them show the best side amap...
    Cheers.