1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Review ADA Superjet ES-2400

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by bonjovi, Dec 6, 2014.

1. bonjovi

bonjovi New Member

Hello everyone,
    When i was still planning to buy the ADA Superjet filter i found it was very difficult to find a personal review of this item. So here i decided to make a review to help people who is thinking of getting one.

[​IMG]

Here is how the box looks like, it is massive and sturdy. The weight is approximatelly 23kg. The box is the same as the ES-1200, so when you are going to get one, make sure u check what's inside.

[​IMG]

What's inside the box. The filter itself, inflow and outflow of original ADA lily pipe, a bag full of Bio Rio L, cleaning powder, instruction manual, certificate, tubing and the "tighten up ring" (i don't know what is this thingy called)

More pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Review section

QUALITY
    As you expect from Aqua Design Amano, the quality of the material is second to none. The filter body is very thick yet beautiful. The stainless steel mesh inside the filter chamber is very thick and strong too. I must say the ADA original lily pipes' quality is far better compare to all those copies. The glass is thick, it feels a lot heavier and when you hit the glass with the tip of your finger, it makes a unique sound similar to expensive wine glass, especially on the bell of the outflow.

The iwaki pump does generate some heat at the back. However, ADA attach a "separator plate"; acting like a platform, under the iwaki pump before it touches the filter body. So the motor is hot but it does not affect the water temperature thank to the separator plate. I found that the water is a bit colder by using this filter probably because of the stainless steel body. The motor makes a little bit of noise, not noticable unless you pay attention to it. I must say the eheim is a lot quiter because the motor is inside of its body.

Bio Rio L that comes with the filter is very clean and well sorted and the amount is generous too. Other than that, it is just a normal pumice. The tubing that comes with the filter is very very thick and strong. The "cleaner powder" is easy to apply and it does clean the stainless steel body from oily fingerprints easily.

I give five stars for its quality. NO DOUBT THE BEST CANISTER FILTER AVAILABLE
    (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

PERFORMANCE
    When it comes to performance, ADA product has always satisfy me. It does what it is promised to do. The flow is very strong yet gentle current for the fishes and stem plants.

Here is my video on instagram showing the flow of the filter http://instagram.com/p/wQLD-Elxkf/

I give five stars for its perfomance
    (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

VALUE
    When you decide to buy ADA product, you are buying the quality with the ADA name on it. Everyone knows that ADA product is not cheap. However, i will not say it is overprice, i will use the term expensive in this filter case. You can get three big green plastic bucket 2260 from eheim with the price of an ES-2400. The two products are comparable in term of performance too. However, the ADA superjet is far far far superior in term of appearance. Sleek and beautiful, built like a tank and will last for over 30 or maybe 50years.

I will give three stars for its value, because you can get 3 of the eheim 2260 with the same amount of money
    :) :) :)

FINAL VERDICT
    The fIlter sure is expensive. However, the Sensation of having an ADA product in your equipment list, especially in a core part such as filtration, is just amazing.

When you decide and you know that you are passionate with this Aquascaping hobby and you will love this hobby for the rest of your life, that is when you should start buying your ADA stuff. Once you try one, you will never come back to those ADA copies and you know that this is an invesment (in term of aquascaping hobby).

This filter is not suitable for people who just start up with aquascaping hobby. Buy an eheim instead, far cheaper with comparable performance. This filter is also not suitable for people who will keep the filter inside the cabinet.

This filter is suitable for people who is passionate with aquascaping and looking for a perfection packed in a beautiful and sleek appearance.

Finally, i will give four stars overall of this product. Once again, ADA is not overprice, it is a lifetime investment
    (y) (y) (y) (y)

Hope it helps

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
    ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  2. bonjovi

bonjovi New Member

More pictures due to link limitation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

bonjovi

Thank you for posting all that information, any chance of the photos of your tank/s please.

Keith:):)

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

'bonjovi's' scape thread is here:
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/120cm-iwagumi.9221/

Some one loves their ADA :) I do understand people buying ADA filter pipes and glasssware etc. Both in terms of quality (whether this is actually true or not) and in terms of the brand name however I don't really understand buying the filter. Is ADA quality that much better than CAL or BorneoWild or Gush etc for the extra price?

Like you say in your review. You can get the comparable Eheim for a third of the price and Eheim is top notch anyway so buy the Eheim.

The vast majority of people put their filters in cabinets anyway so the brand name doesn't come into play here. I just don't get why anyone wants to have a filter on show next to their minimalist setup. Maybe with a shiny silver 5kg CO2 cannister on the opposite side? I don't get that.

However I do get that warm glow when you get something you wanted :) and I do get that many people do like to go for brands :) I just don't get the idea of buying a brand for something you would usually try to hide and then having it on display.

5. bonjovi

bonjovi New Member

Here i post some more photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The output travels quite some distance before reaching the lilypipe outflow. It goes to the other side of the tank, goes through a chiller and finally reaches the outflow. I think the total is around 3-3.5m. The flow is still okay for my tank.

@supercoley
    Yes, everyone knows that we can get a very beautiful aquascaping tank even with china made equipment, not even eheim. I think most iaplc top works do not use ADA too. It is just purely self satisfaction :D

I used to run an eheim 2260 in this tank and the 2260 does a perfect job. I change the 2260 to superjet filter purely just because it is an ADA. I used the cal aqualab outflow and the flow is amazing, the flow goes through the mid to bottom part of the tank very well. I also used the borneo wild inflow. They both are good quality glassware, compare to ADA pipe? ADA glassware is thicker compare to cal and bw. Functionally those three brands are in par. I also have PM and Viv glassware too, i am sorry but the pm and viv are out of competition (if we compare it to BW, cal or ada)

I can put the superjet at the back of the tank to keep it close to the chiller and keep the flow strong. But i put it on the far side of the tank for aesthetic matter only. Why would i buy ADA but put it inside the cabinet. Its like buying a vintage 1950s vespa and put it in a living room. It is a matter of self satisfaction and pride :p

One more thing about ADA filter, the worst part of this filter is we do not get the double tap connector and we must buy the eheim double tap for almost $90

6. keithgh

bonjovi

You seem to have every "wiss bang" for that FW tank.

One question for you I live 75klm south of Melbourne and I have never seen or heard of a chiller being used for a tropical FW tank.

7. bonjovi

bonjovi New Member

@keithgh
    Yes, the chiller is Adam Chiller, a local indonesian made chiller. It is a split type so you have the outdoor unit and indoor unit just like our normal air conditioner.

I took my bachelor degree in monash caulfield and went back for good early 2009. I now live in indonesia, a small town called Sorong in Papua. If you love scuba diving, you must have ever heard of this place called "Raja Ampat". It is an archipelago near my hometown. So many international tourists around the world (from america, italy, uk, japan, canada and australia) come to my hometown to visit this place. One of the best diving spots in the world. If you are planning to visit, lemme know i will take you around :D

8. keithgh

bonjovi,

Can you change your Country and location in your profile please.

That will help to explain the reason for the chiller.

Thank you for the offer but my days of travelling finished a few years ago age and eye concerns do not help.

9. Clintonsparsons

Clintonsparsons New Member

Where did you get the 20 mm double tap connector for the intake?

10. keithgh

Clintonsparsons

That post is 2 years old now, my suggestion is ask that question referring to the particular part you asking about in another topic.
    Equipment

Keith:cat::cat: