1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Restarting my 55 gallon discus tank

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by soundtweakers, Oct 30, 2008.

1. soundtweakers

soundtweakers New Member

Hi, I am about to start over on my 55 gallon long discus tank. I had recently pull out all plants and driftwood because the amount of black hair algae had completely cover over everything. Right now I have the tank running dark with just the matured substrate and my driftwood and all of my fish in it(5 Discus, 40+cardinal tetras, 10 black neon tetras, 3 juv. SAEs.

At one time I had the tank heavily planted and maintained it for a couple of years with amazon swords, crypt wendii, anubia nana, baby tears. However the foreground cover plants never took off in my tank, I've tried hair grass, glossostigma and a bunch of others.

I am now in the planning stage of picking plants, and I need help from more experienced hobbyist. For now I'm looking at echinodorus tenellus for the foreground cover, they seem large and short enough for some funky multi-colored substrate that my dear wife helped contribute in this tank many years ago. So a healthy foreground cover will be my main focus on the new layout.

Thanks for reading and any suggestion and advice are warmly welcomed!!

Here are some tank specs and a photo of what it USED TO look like back in Jan. 08.
    55 Gallon long(running for 8 years), 82F, Eheim 2213, DIY yeast CO2, 130W 6700K CF lighting.
    [​IMG]

2. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but the substrate looks a bit large in diameter to support ideal rooting and growth of some of those foreground plants you mentioned.
    If baby tears worked out in the past, maybe just let that crawl across the front and keep it trimmed down. Or maybe you could get a bunch of flat stones and tie riccia to it and place them along the front.

3. soundtweakers

soundtweakers New Member

the substrate is plain ol' 8 yrs. old "mixed" aquarium gravel, there are no specialty aquatic plant substrate mixed in there. I've used fertilizer tablet in the gravel from time to time, that's about the only thing I've ever done for the gravel.

4. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I think some will argue that is part of your problem.
    I would probably go with baby tears trimmed low unless you change your substrate. That plant grows like crazy in most situations.
    Or... maybe you could scoop out the gravel in the front and put some finer grain substrate and or sand in the front and give the echinodorus tenellus a try.

5. Tsunami35

Tsunami35 New Member

Also, looks like in the old setup you had some air stones running. That will went off any Co2 that makes it into the tank, so its probably best not to run them. As far as the large gravel goes, it definately hinders ground covers. My 30g has large gravel, and even the stems have a hard time rooting...

6. soundtweakers

soundtweakers New Member

I'm thinking about maybe plant the whole thing with echinodorus tenellus, the amazon swords rooted pretty well in my tank. Any inputs?

thanks