1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Red Cherry tankmates?

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Lafataa, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

So I know that if a shrimp fits in a fish's mouth, it probably will be eaten. I have a medium-heavily planted tank with a very thick carpet of Dwarf Hairgrass (think of Chewbacca's hair but green). I have 12 Black Neon Tetras in my 55g with Otos. I know that the Otos would never touch the shrimp but not sure of the Black Neons. I know that people have kept Neon Tetras (blue ones) with shrimp no problem, but would the Black Neons act differently? Not too keen on dropping my 30 RCS into my 55g and having them eaten right away. I have a feeling they'd do fine but just need some reassurance.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

I have Cardinal Tetras with my Cherry Red Shrimp and Red Long Nosed Darwin Shrimp.

Never a problem

Keith

3. Godfish

Godfish New Member

I keep them with ottos,ancistrus,rasboras heteromorpha and nanus corydoras...haven`t seen that they would eat cherrys...but very small baby shrimps are probably on every fish menu,adults are safe.

4. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I think I'll give it a shot then. The tank is 55g with more than enough places for them to hide.

5. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Black neon tetras are not a problem for adult RCS but they don't forget to eat fry of RCS, I have kept those together. But after 2 months the population of RCS decreased so I remove the Black neons.

6. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I keep mine with black neons. No major probs, but they will eat baby shrimp very occasionally. I've noticed that it takes the black neons a little while to get used to shrimp being around, and that they are more aggressive to shrimp when newly introduced, but after a while - all good!

7. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

So I gave it a shot with 30 RCS I got from theshrimpfarm.com and when I woke up to feed my Neons...they weren't hungry. I counted about 15 shrimp (the rest hopefully were hiding. I have a densely planted tank). A few RCS were dead on the substrate (1-2 of them) which seemed to come from stress of the fish chasing them around (which I witnessed). I tested Copper for the heck of it and it was 0 along with nitrites and Ammonia. Nitrates were in safe ranges. CO2 was off when I got up this morning.

I fished out 11 of the 12 Neons out today but one is still hiding on me. I hope the stress from being chased around isn't too much for the remaining shrimp...

8. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I am so sorry to hear about the RCS loss. Give your black neons a big feed of live food - black worms works for me. Once that the black neons have full bellies, your RCS will be safe. I have kept RCS and black neons together for quite a while, and have found that it takes time for them to thrive together, and abundant feeding. Don't be discouraged!

9. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

I only have a few RCS now. Most of them were eaten or died from stress. I moved the Neons out completely to another tank which they are happy in.