1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Red algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gavinsons, Mar 13, 2011.

1. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

I have this red looking algae growing all over my plants and back glass of my 150 gallon. I have pressurized c02 and dose ferts every other day. I just added 15 algae eating shrimp but they dont seem to be interested in the red algae, just the green stuff. I was wondering if i need to up the amount of c02 i inject. The c02 indicator stays a lime green all the time and sometimes it wants to turn a little yellow. I'm afraid to add more c02 becasue this might make my discus fight for O2. I use to leave my lights on for 12 hours and a couple weeks ago i bumped it down to 9 hours a day. This red stuff still seems to keep growing. I even quit dosing ferts for a couple weeks and still it grows on everything. I have a uv sterilizer but that just keeps the free floating algae from appearing and does not help the stuff that is growing on my plants and driftwood. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi,

Can you take a picture? It would be easier do help you!

lalmeida

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

some thoughts:

1) I wouldn't stop dosing your ferts. Algae isn't nutrient limited, but your plants are. So grow plants well and algae tends to be less of an issue. If you limit plant growth you are making it easier for algae. Algae can adapt quicker to changes and can capitalize on adjustments faster than your plants. For example, I've recently changed how I administer CO2, its better, but during that change algae bloomed while my plants adjusted to the improvement.

2) do you use a 4dkH solution in your drop checker? if not your reading could be innacurrate as far as ppm CO2. There are various guides around on how to make your own 4dkH solution for drop checkers. I don't worry about drop checkers too much. I only use mine to get a rough estimate when first adding CO2 and then do fine adjustments after that by watching plant growth, fish behavior, and algae growth. I haven't kept discus, but have read that their color fades when exposed to too much CO2 and that could be an early indicator if you overdue it.

3) If you are concerned about too much CO2 you could run an airstone at night or even during the day to increase O2 levels with a minimal loss of CO2. O2 and CO2 do not compete in the water.

4) Another option could be a series of blackouts. Try no light, not even ambient light on the tank for 3 days, no CO2. Then a few more days of light, then non again for 3 days. Plants can take the blackout, algae can't.

4. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

thanks for the tips, i'll try to get a picture of the algae tonight and put it on here. i always have problems trying to figure out how to get pictures put on here. Any advice on how to add pictures to a post?

5. gavinsons

gavinsons New Member

here are the pictures of the algae and one of my whole tank. There were 4 sword plants that were huge that i cut down and they are just starting to come back. Algae took them over and killed the leaves on them so i just wacked them down to give them a fresh start.

Attached Files: