1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

re-scape of a 30 cube that was never really scaped.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by goalcreas, Mar 8, 2008.

1. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

John, here is the top view shot.
    and the pic of the ADA stuff with Madilyn removed.
    The aerial shot was difficult to get since I did it quickly and didn't want to have to turn off the filter and get the light just right.
    so I took another from below the waterline to get a more clear shot of the rear rock island.

I don't plan on leaving the Ambulia in around the front rock, I just thinned some out and figured I would leave it in there to suck up nutrients and help the tank balance. I may add some strands of Anarachis or something for a while while I get thru the initial set up. we will see how it goes and If I can keep the algae at bay with frequent water changes (I did a bit over 50% tonight) and a short photoperiod for a few weeks.

BTW, for lighting, I don't think I ever posted, I have:
    1 Current Satellite 24" 65w
    1 Current Satellite 20" 40w

I am only using the one 65W and think it may be all I ever use, I am not turning on the 40 watt at all and after reading the thread in the light section about the over use of light and my beliefs that many (including me in the past) use way too much light.
    65w is over 2wpg and that will probably be plenty also since this tank is not heavily planted.

40w might be a bit too low, but I might do 40w on for 2 hours, then turn it off at the same time I turn on the 65w for 3.5 hours then turn it off and turn back on the 40w for the last 2 hours for a 7.5 total continuous photoperiod.

Then that might be too little light, but I have some playing around to do.
    Might use the full boat until the hairgrass starts to take off then cut back, and if I use the full boat, that is where I may add some
    floating stems to help fight the algae.

any thoughts on any of this would be helpful.
    Thanks

[​IMG]

This is similar to a pic from the other day, but you can see the rotala starting to stick up above. Once they are all above the rock, I will trim them evenly.
    [​IMG]

I think Madilyn makes the shot, but here it is without her.
    [​IMG]

Sponsored link:

2. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

Looks good!

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

I like that top view shot.

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

LOL, I was only kidding about Madilyn blocking the view. :)) The aeriel shot with the plants is an amazing picture. Until now, I didn't notice you had riccia growing on each of those stones. Is it mini-riccia by any chance, which is slower growing?

Your lighting scheme of 65 watts is what I would go for, at least for now. I've read from other threads with successful aquascapes, they always start out slowly with the lighting scheme. I believe even Amano recommends this as well. However, from the looks of Madilyn's 7 inch head, I'm guessing your cube is about 21 inches high. Kinda deep, so you may need to add in that 40 watts for a 2-3 hour "noon burst" to really get the light down to your hairgrass and maybe riccia plants.

-John N.

5. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

LOL,
    Thanks,

It is just the normal Riccia and the other rocks have susswasertang on them.
    I have not put any moss thus far and don't think I will NEED to, but never know.

I am pushing all the light right now for 4 hours and the C02 on 1.5 hours prior at about 4-5 bbs right into the intake of the filter, about 1/2 of the bubbles funnel right inside. Turning the Co2 off with the lights, want maximum while there is no animals in there right now.

I am keeping all lighting on until I notice a slight bit of build up on the glass then I will start to limit the additional 40 watts. At the end of the 2nd week, I will start to lengthen the 65 watt light period by about 1/2 hour per every two days until I get up to about 8 hours.

At that time, I will start to play with the addition of the extra 40 watts for a1.5 to 3 hour burst to see if there is a benefit and leave it like that or if it is a problem, I will scrap the 40 watts.

Additionally, at the end of the 2nd week, I plan to add a couple of Otto's and some Amano shrimp to start eating up any decay, detritus and algae growth.
    Then I will stock with a large school of either some tetra (rummynose probably) or some smaller Rasbora. I like the Phoenix or Chili, but they are really tiny. Would Otto's harm really small fish?
    About 3 days prior to adding fish / shrimp, I will begin to taper back the Co2 to 2-3 bbs and add a drop checker to make sure I am where I need to be to sustain life.

6. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Ok, Against my better judgement,
    I got a cold steel chisel and went to down on the rock.
    As I thought, it did not break in a way that I would have liked, but it is smaller.

I don't like it the way it is, I have some other rocks left over from it that did not make it into the tank, and I am sure that there will be some changes to it, but I think I will let the plants fill in first.
    The side view is the view that I am least satisfied with, so I do plan to add a patch of riccia stones right of the ADA soil into the sand so it doesn't make the rock look like it hangs out of the AS so much.

Sorry for the poor pics, got a bad glare and a reflection of the curtain on my patio door.
    Here is the front view
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

And here is the corner view.
    This is the view in which I look at it most,
    What it looks like from my chair.
    Pretty cool from here, but I think it was better before, but stupid me never got a shot like that.
    [​IMG]

7. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Love the look with the new rocks. You did a great job breaking that rock apart.

8. GreenFanatic

GreenFanatic New Member

Love the Sarawak Sand effect... will try it for my next project :) Keep the pix coming...

9. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Yes, the sand is awesome.
    This is both my first with ADA sand and with this color.
    I was wondering how it would work out and am VERY happy:celebrate:
    with it.

I will say that the ADA sand is worth the price, I can't believe how much I like it. Colorwise, I was getting a little tired of the silica white sand look and wanted a change. I am going to try the Nile next and even the bright sand is not quite as white as the silica sand so will give that a shot also.

Pics will be updated when there is something to show for sure.

Thanks again for the kind words from all.

10. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Nice & creative layout you've got goalcreas, keep up the good work.

11. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Thanks Guillermo, here is an update.

Just got back in town tonight after leaving on Friday.
    2 quick snaps. There is GDA on the glass as I just got in and have not done a WC in about 6 days.
    This tank EXPLODED over the weekend. I wish I had a snap before the weekend to compare.
    The Blyxa Japonica was 2 growing plants on Friday, today it is 4 huge ones :eek:

The Riccia had been trimmed down on Thursday night and now it is fuller then before I trimmed it.
    The Blyxa A. has really filled in in the two days I was gone also.

The Dwarf Riccia has not taken off yet, but I am pretty sure when it does (only about 6 days in now) that I will pull out the big riccia.

This tank is planted pretty different now, The P. Sao Palo is not staying, I had no other place to put it however. There ia A. Reneckii that has not fully rooted yet to get up over the rock, it is between the Blyxa A. and the Rotala Green. There is some Rotola rotundfolia to the left of the Rotala green and of course the Blyxa A's were new additions after taking out the ambulia and Myro taburculatum (sp?)

Rocks were changed in front, and all the downoi is now rooted and taking off.

The Hygro compacta took off also over the weekend, it was not that tall, full or green on Friday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Toby looking really good...love to color of this scape. The rock formation looks a lot better in the front right!!

13. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Looking good plants are starting to fill in. Its going to turn out to be a wonderful scape.

14. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Thanks Roy and Pat.
    It is a bit wild right now after the weekend explosion.
    I will trim back the rotala's to get them to the same length and pull them out of the blyxa aburtii and clean it up a bit tomorrow with the WC.
    I may pull the P. Sao Palo, at least the one stem that is in front of the B. Aburtii on the right side, it is out of place and getting a massive root system that will take away from the hairgrass that is planted there. I never really meant it to be there but I got some from the plant club and didn't really have anywhere to put it so there it is. I will put it into my farm tank tomorrow or give it to a member that is coming over for plants in the evening.

I will get some cleaned up pics and some macro shots of some of the hidden gems like the Rotala Sp. Mini type 1 and 2 that I got from ERiK (apistaeasy) recently, the type 2 is taking off pretty well.

Any suggestions as to how to trim/clean it up are welcomed.
    Thanks for looking and commenting.

15. John N.

Wow, I almost missed this update.

I have to tell you I was a little worried about how the scape was looking at 3/16, but with the newest pictures it looks stunning! The riccia stones and the borders they form make the scape look very clean. One part of me though really wants you to get rid of the smaller island of rocks, but then again the other part of me likes it.

-John N.

16. Chadly

Chadly New Member

that looks great, looks like a well manicured landscape in somebody's yard.

17. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

John, thanks a bunch.
    What worried you exactly?
    The rock garden, I think I have a solution for that but I am not going to say what it is just yet, it will be a surprise.

Chadly
    Thanks for the kind words.

There should be updates tonight after WC and trim.

18. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

I love everyone's diverse interpretation. Yours is awesome. Keep it up!:proud:

19. John N.

I didn't quite like how the Ambulia's round leaves blended in with the round rocks. Also, the scape at 3/16 wasn't looking as clean as it does now. I think the new plants make the scape even more interesting and beautiful.

I saw that you said you were moving to Huntington Beach, CA shortly. It's going to be a shame not to see the scape develop to its full potential, or maybe it will in the short time frame.

-John N.

20. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Yes, I am liking it but I am going to have to turn the lights off for a few days as I am starting to get a little green water and if I let it go it will go full bore, but leave the lights off for a few days and it will die back.

I am liking the look of the plants more and more each day.

I am going to set this up similar using the same rocks and sand, but I am thinking of an island instead of the path next time, but some of the plants that are in here now, I am using for sure.

And the ambulia and Myro was kind of a temp thing to start with.
    I love they way the look when planted, but when they start to grow leggy, I don't like them so much, but I gave it a try knowing that as soon as they no longer looked good, they were gone, plus they were available at the LFS and the rest of the stuff took some time to find and buy and get here.
    Now I like what is in there.

As always, thanks for comments, this one won't be around much longer, well 6 weeks, I think we can get it grown out pretty good by then, the trouble will be keeping up with it when I will be gone for 4 to 5 days out of the week for that time.

Well weekly water change, the wife can handle dosing the Pfertz and starting this weekend, weekly pictures:muscle: