1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

re-scape of a 30 cube that was never really scaped.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by goalcreas, Mar 8, 2008.

1. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Ok, got a wild hair up my backside a few years ago and took my 3 girls out to get a fish tank.
    Looked high and low for an affordable, but stylish tank that was more then 10 or 20 gallons, I was told it was easier for beginning fish keepers to set up larger tanks, more room for error.

Walked into a PetSmart in Avondale AZ and out jumped a 30 gallon Oceanic Cube, maple on Clearance, that was the tank for me, Maple is my wood of choice and most of my house is done in maple.
    Got it for $149, plus the price of the HOB filter, Turquoise Gravel and some plastic octopus, Clam Shell and piece of reef that my daughters all picked out, I was just happy to set up a tank, didn't care too much how ugly they were gonna make it, they were happy.

I Saw some aquatic plants there and asked the clerk if it was better to put plants in with the fish "it seems more natural and logic tells me that it would be a better, more healthy environment for the fish" and the clerk said "sure, why not"

So the dialogue went something like this.

"Do the plants need any special substrate, or can I plant them in this turquoise gravel"
    "no, they don't need anything special"
    "What about plant food"
    "no, they don't need it"
    "Why does this Seachem have some Flourish for plants"
    "Well, I guess you can get that and follow the directions on the bottle, it can't hurt"

I just was not satisfied with that answer so I also walked out of there with a copy of TFH and to my luck, there was Rhonda Wilson (who I later found out hosted the site of my local club and have since become friends with her) and Amano, both with articles on plants. so over the next couple of days after setting up the tank with some Pennywort, a Brazilian sword and some other non aquatic plants PetSmart sold me, I was just watching them melt away (except the sword, it did great) so I started reading the articles by both Rhonda and Amano in the magazine and then started online to all the sites that were advertised in the mag and:

I WAS HOOKED

But only after I had set up the Fish Only Tank With Hideous Decorations and A couple of dying plants and one happy sword plant.

Well, I focused my addiction on many a tank since, but have never gotten back to this 30 cube, and what a shame because it is one of the nicest tanks I own.

Last night about 10pm, I got my stuff together
    Filter
    [​IMG]
    Subtrate system
    [​IMG]
    Old ugly tank way past due for a change now empty
    [​IMG]
    My help
    [​IMG]

to be continued....

Sponsored link:

2. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

The start and basic idea.
    I am already thinking of how to change the rock in the front right (or left from the side view).
    Maybe try to break it down a bit or break it up alot and go for several smaller rocks instead of the single, I just don't know yet, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Full Frontal
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    view from above
    [​IMG]

It got too late for me to consider planting last night, 2:30am

I did a party for my daughter's 4th b-day this morning, just finishing and heading to play 18, so after that if I have anything left, I will figure what to do with the front rock and start planting.

I have a bunch of plants to use, just don't know if all or only a couple will make it in.

Hairgrass (for sure)
    Riccia (almost for sure)
    Susswasertang (for sure)
    Flame moss (maybe)
    Peacock moss (most likely)
    Christmas moss(Maybe)
    Tiwan moss (most likely)
    Pellia (maybe)
    Java Fern (small amount maybe)
    Blyxa Japonica (for sure)
    some Red Myro (can't remember the exact species or name) that I picked up at a LFS (for sure)
    Ambulia (maybe, maybe not)
    Rotala

We will see what there is room for and what clashes or not
    There is room for one, maybe two stems, but that is all, the rest will be low growing and ground cover, hoping for a simple but elegant tank.
    Thanks for looking

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Hey i had that rock thing at one point that in your back left.

4. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

What, I don't get it, what do you mean??
    I just keep reading it and reading it and looking at all the photo's and I give up, what rock thing in my back left?

5. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

I was thinking the same thing....maybe he has seen the first pic on AAPE.

6. trenac

trenac New Member

I'm looking forward to following the progress of this tank. I like how you use the small slate pieces around the main rocks. I've been wanting a cube tank for the longest time. If I find a deal like you did, I'll surely have to get one.

7. GreenFanatic

GreenFanatic New Member

Looking really interesting so far... well done in bringing out the best of a cube tank!

8. kakkoii

kakkoii New Member

cant wait to see more!

9. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

Looking good so far. The tank and stand looks great!

10. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Thanks All, and now for some planted pics.
    As far as equipment, I just hooked it up so it would run, I didn't have anything left to give to this tank last night, so I will do a better job of hiding it.
    Going to fill up my co2 tank in a little while today so I can get that going.

Cords and wires, I will have to come up with something.
    I don't know if a color will work on the back wall still having to look at it from the right, maybe a mirror back will work.
    Anyway, that will all be next weekend, because when the co2 is set up, I am done and relaxing for the rest of this Sunday.

FTS from front
    [​IMG]

closer up on the back left corner
    [​IMG]

FTS from right side
    [​IMG]

a little closer on the front rock looking in from the right side.
    [​IMG]

Plant list
    Ambulia
    Riccia
    Suswassertang
    Rotala rotundifolia
    Blyxa Japonica
    Hygro Compacta
    Myriophyllum tuberculatum
    hairgrass
    Pogostemon helferi

11. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Oh, that would make sense, that plastic piece of reef in the tank of old.

12. trenac

trenac New Member

I'm really like how you've done the back corner. The fine pinnulate plants in behind the rock, softens the look up. Looking forward to see this scape as it fills in.

One question... Don't you think that the Hygro will get to big?

13. Brian

Brian New Member

it nice, I cant wait to see more pictures!!

14. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

I like it. What plant do you have in front of the rock with the wide but short green leaves. I hope this question makes sense..

15. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Your "help" person is blocking my view of the ADA products. ;)

Right now I think it looks funny with the two large boulder islands, but I can see how it's going to balance out when the background and foreground plants develop. This scape should be really interesting to see as it fills in. I would love to see an aerial shot with the plants in there. The previous aerial shows off your attention to detail with the hardscape and sand placing.

-John N.

16. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

It must be Hygro compacta in front of the rock.

17. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Trenac and Orlando, yes it is Hygro Compacta and that is full sized.
    It will grow more leaves and up a little, but you can pinch it off without hurting the look and propogate it to other area's or trade it to other hobbyists.

John, I did take an aerial shot, but for some reason I didn't upload it to photobucket. I meant it to be there, but it was not and I have not gotten back to the site to re-load it yet, but I will.

Also John, there is a 4 [.img] limit per post, is that something you are aware of and are trying to limit, that is why I had to start the thread with two posts.

Oh, I have a picture of the tank with the ADA stuff without Madilyn blocking the way, I can post that also with the aerial view.

And thanks again to all the comments.

18. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

There was another pic on here when you first posted it with how your tank used to be. I was talking about the plastic rock formation that was in the back left corner. Tank is looking good. I feel that the front right rock should be a little smaller than the back rock but thats just own idea. I like the rocks though they look good. I think it will fill in nicely.

19. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Yeah, there was some pic limit, like 4 images per post, and I had to pick and choose which photo's to post. I don't remember posting that pic, might have been a confusion at Photobucket that they displayed it for a moment or two.
    It is great to no longer have that Piece, I can tell you that.

As far as the front rock, it would be nice to break it exactly right, but there are no guarantees that that will happen. I may get a sledge hammer later, will see after the tank starts to take off if it still NEEDS it or not. The way it is set up, it will be very easy to remove and change without disrupting anything too badly.

20. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Yeah your right there. Well lets see how it fills out. Good start though!!