1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

RCS behaviour

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by naddooi, Apr 25, 2008.

1. naddooi

naddooi New Member

Ok, i'm new to RCS and shrimp in general, so just have a question about the behaviour of my shrimps.

I have a log in the tank, and the filter outlet is very close to it, so at times, bubbles form on the surface around the log. This particular shrimp seems to climb up to the top, stand upwards and nearly upside-down, and then start "eating" the bubbles (grabs them, brings them to her mouth). She's (I'm assuming she due to the saddle and very red colouration) done it a couple of times now, is this a sign she might not be getting enough oxygen?

The other shrimp seem alright, sitting on the plants, eating away. Any ideas? In the mornings, I believe the same shrimp does laps around the bottom, so maybe one of her weird antics?

(the are all in a shrimp only, 6G tank, lots of plants, 4 adults and 1 juvie RCS)

2. milalic

milalic New Member

she is interested in the bubbles. Probably thinks it is food.

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

That is kinda of funny sounding behavior. I don't think it is a lack of oxygen problem. Most likely the shrimp is extremely entertained with the bubbles and whatever microorganisms are growing on the log near the bubbles. It's either that, or the shrimp enjoys getting high off the oxygen. ;)

-John N.

4. John7429

John7429 New Member

That's what makes shrimp keeping fun... lol

5. epicfish

epicfish New Member

+1. Mine go after everything in the tank.

6. naddooi

naddooi New Member

Wow, thanks guys, I was a tad worried... Unfortunately, one of my shrimps died couple of days after i posted the msg :(

The rest seem ok, I did go and get some more, and so far they seem to all be doing well. Hopefully they will still be ok when i come back from my trip! (its only 5 days, and i've done a big water change and all, i hope that will keep em till then)