1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Raising a baby Betta fish!

Discussion in 'Fish' started by susan12, Aug 7, 2012.

1. susan12

susan12 New Member

Hi there,

About 3 days ago I bought a baby Betta fish and I've been Google'ing and looking up how to take care of it and prevent it from getting constipated and all the like.

It's already gotten constipated once and I've just been getting mixed answers from every place I've looked on.

If anyone knows EXACTLY what I need to do and how to take perfect care of it, please do let me know. :)!

Thanks,

Susan.

2. Alexander Azizov

Alexander Azizov New Member

Susan,
    please provide more details of your tank and conditions the fish is in. How did you diagnose a "constipate"?

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Susan

You are possibly feeding it all the wrong foods (usually on LFS advice)

Do not feed it any freeze dried food unless you soak it in the tank water first otherwise it goes into their stomach and swells up and can eventually kill them.

Feed then at least 3 times a week on frozen blood worms (NEVER garden worms)

Cooked squashed green peas will as they say get things moving along very nicely thank you.

To keep him/her healthy a good varied diet is a must.

I hope the fish is not in any thing under 45-50 lt as in most cases it is considered very cruel if it is.

Keith :):)

4. Natural designs

Natural designs New Member

hmmm I have never seen constipation in any of the bettas I have kept. There are also high quality food flakes that you can give them although babies usually need to start on live foods (really depends on how young it is). Depending on the conditions in which they are raised females and some males can be kept in a community tank with plenty of hiding spots. And I believe a single betta should inhabit at least 4 gallons of water, they tend to be happier in larger filtered and heated aquariums.