1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Quick questions!!!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by adipnayak, Feb 26, 2009.

1. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

hi there here's my tank:
    http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/aquatic-photography/1758-my-first-tank-pics.html#post17191

firstly would like to say i live in a place with absolutely no options i.e. i cant get what i want i have to settle with what they have...what i mean is the stores here have absolutely no variety or fish and plants.

Please bear with me if my questions are "novice like".My tank has been running for 2 days now...

so i have started off with 3 pairs of guppies and 40 what i think are Anacharis, also known as the Brazilian Waterweed please correct me if i am wrong.

so my questions:

1) I have a water stone and air pump do i have to keep it running throughout the day?

2) The Florescent light needs to be on how many hours of the day?
    Guppies need to be fed how many times in a day?(online i read thrice and the store keeper says once!)

3) What kind of food do they prefer?(i have Aquafin Professional Basic flake that i have been feeding them twice a day)

4) What other things can i do to keep the fish and plant happier?

Thankyou for reading...

Sponsored link:

2. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ASW

Being a low light tank I assume you are going the non CO2 method.

If so I would recommend:

1 - You don't have to keep the sirstone and pump running all day. You don't HAVE to do anything. I would though because while the plants use the natural (low ppm) CO2 within the water then the added water surface turbulence will keep the gaseous exchange up and keep the equilibrium of CO2 and O2 at a stable level. No surface turbulence is often used when we are injecting because we don't want to drive off the extra CO2 we want to retain it and it will always try to get back to equilibrium levels. In a non CO2 that problem doesn't exist so surface turbulence is beneficial to keep the equilibrium at optimum.

2 - I would leave the light on between 8 and 10 hours a day in one continuous photoperiod. What size tank is it? I am guessing at 70Ltrs / 20USG. I would use about 20W of T8 over it and keep it low light for non CO2. Feed your guppies what they will eat. tiny amounts 10 times a day or a larger amount 1 x a day. It is up to you but try and feed what they will eat and no more. Good vacuum weekly to remove any rubbish from the substrate

3 - Normal flakes are fine.

There isn't much more to do really. See how the pants go. If they start to look bad then maybe you will need to add a little KNO3 but I would assume your tap water has enough of all the nutrients for the light and CO2 available.

AC

3. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

Firstly thank you for the reply it helps and keeps me motivated to keep going...thank you

1) Whats the advantage of CO2 in a tank?

2) Are there any diy methods to run CO2 i have seen some pictures of people using coke cans...

3) How do you Vacuum the substrate in my case plain gravel?

4) What kind of ground cover would you suggest i would like something grass like & easy to maintain...

5) Do you think i should connect another air pump to get both of them going at creating more bubbles therefore more surface distortion and more circulation?

Thanks a ton

4. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

first of all, I 'm a bit worried because it is only 2 days old tank and you already put in 3 pairs guppy. Luckily guppy is hardy fish. By the way do you use any filter?

1) All plant need CO2 during photosynthesis. For tank with high lighting (wattage), the demand of CO2 by plants is higher. Thus it is necessary to inject CO2. By the way how big is your tank and how many watt is your light?

2) Yes you can DIY CO2 using sugar water and yeast.

3) You can use gravel cleaner, there are many varieties in the market. or You can do what I usually do weekly during water change. Wave my hand around the gravel so that all those dirt move up and I use hose to suck it.

4) Do you add base substrate under the gravel? If not then I would suggest riccia or moss, since they do not need substrate.

5) Normally we do not put air pump in planted tank, at least not during photo period.

5. exosket

exosket New Member

I only feed my adult guppies once a day..i think once if enough. They will eat a little algae off the plants and pick up any food that falls on the bottom. I have noticed guppies poop ALOT! It's a real pain keeping the tank clean when they poop so much. I used to feed mine twice a day, but then i'd have to vacuum the gravel every two or three days because of the feeding. I'd suggest trying it out if you find they produce too much waste. :)
    this video is how I learned to clean the gravel! hehe
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa_440OaQxE&feature=related]YouTube - Water Siphon Demonstration[/ame]
    I don't do it exactly like her, but it showed me the basics. =P

6. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

Thankyou for your quick replies...

Shadow:
    My tank is a 70Ltr one with 50 Anacharis so the guy at the store did not recommend for me to get a filter
    My light is a 15W 10000K tube
    I have placed the air pump behind the plants

exosket:
    Thank you for the video will give it a go this wednesday as its my first 20% water change time
    i am going to feed the guppies just once a day too coz if i ever decide to go holidaying i can just ask someone to come in once n feed them

Wanted to know if i could place java moss or riccia in a tank like mine if so what extra's would i need(lights??)
    Could you also recommend a online dealer where i could purchase from as i cant get any plants here locally in Oman
    Thankyou

7. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

i would love to get the carpet like effect of grass in the foreground....

8. dg2606

dg2606 New Member

To achieve that effect by using a foreground plant you will need more equipment and understanding.

1. Stronger light
    2. No air stone ( good water flow and circulation instead because it will deplete your Co2)
    3. Smaller gravel/sand (between 2-3mm)
    4. Co2 and fertilizers

9. permafrost

permafrost New Member

??????
    had a quick look at your tank pix. i'm not sure the plants you have are enough to do the filtration job, nor that your set up helps you achieve this goal.

as i understand it is possible to have an unfiltered tank provided the planting is really dense and the fish population restricted to just a few. Nevertheless it is essential to do regular tests of your water for ammonia and nitrite, especially at the beginning, to know where you're standing. Have you done any?

any people here who have tanks with no filter to share their experience?

10. jesirose

jesirose New Member

Guppies do better in trios or even higher ratio of females to males. Otherwise the males will chase the females to death. If you have 6 guppies I would have only 2 males and 4 females, assuming you want them to have babies. If not I would stick to only males and then you don't have to worry about the ratio.

11. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

Hey there the guppy gave birth to around 20 fries i have a separate breeding net within the tank now.
    One of my females who was pregnant died today morning it was breathing/gilling quite hard before it died now another ones doing the same. What should i do help pls urgent??

I currently have 4males 5females in the tank with the 20 fries
    50 anacharis plants under gravel and a bubblestone with a air pump
    Should i go get a filter asap? If yes what type?
    Should i do a water change its just been 3 days since i added the fish.

12. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

after i just posted the last message another female died
    i dont have any water testing kits and none of the pet stores here keep one
    is there any other method of checking at home?

13. Shadow

Eh...I didn't know there is still fish shop which did not recommend to get a filter. Furthermore your light is far too low for most of the plant. Not sure about Anacharis though, just wait and see if it is start rotting.

I guess it is as I expected, your tank isn't ready for the fishes. There is no other way that I new of to test the ammonia level. At this point I would recommend doing daily water change, maybe 30%-50% to reduce ammonia level.

14. permafrost

permafrost New Member

get a filter asap! depending on your budget you can choose either an external canister or an internal filter (cheaper). No experience with the externals, but if you choose an internal filter it should be able to turn your water volume at least 3 times in an hour, so a 300lt/hour would be a safe choice. The filter should come with foam pads of its own or some ceramic material, depends on the manufacturer. Don't know what your suppliers have though, so be sure there is some filter media in the filter otherwise buy yourself. Blue sponges are essential + ceramic rings or sth similar if you can find any, and some white filter wool.
    your fish have probably died of ammonia poisoning as your tank was uncycled and the pl ants obviously don't do the job. Sorry you had to find that the hard way.
    agree with shadow, daily 50% water changes to be on the safe side. after you set the filter go for 30% and then after a week or so a bit smaller, say 20%. The filter will take at least a month to mature, maybe 40 days. After that you can do water change every 3-4 days and then go for once a week.
    do some reading on the nitrogen cycle to see how things work.
    try ebay for test kits or whatever else you might need and can't find locally, shipping cost might be quite high though...

oh! and don't feed the fish anything until you get the filter and even after that feed only small amounts every other day. That is of course for the adult fish... Not sure if the fry will make it... Perhaps only feed the fry just a little bit every day and keep the rest on a diet. Don't leave any uneaten food in the tank.

Btw what's the water temperature? If you don't know, what's the room temperature? Tropical fish normally need a heater to keep the temperature around 25-26 celcius.

Finally, i hope you know already that you need a dechlorinator for your tap water and that the water for the change should always be dechlorinated and at approximately the same temperature with the tank's

good luck!

15. permafrost

permafrost New Member

On the other hand you can try and return all the fish to the store, get the filter and run a fishless cycle to your tank, which is best for the fish and much easier for you.
    If however the pet shop don't take them back, and although i may sound cruel, it's wiser not to keep the fry under the circumstances. They live in highly toxic water anyway which will incur permanent and severe damage on them. Plus they burden the bioload of the tank, which is the last thing you want at the moment. So if you're stuck with them, go for euthanasia of the fry with clove oil. If you can't find clove oil for some reason, put the fry in large plastic container, 1litre aquarium water plus 1 litre air, close with lid and into the freezer....
    sorry again...

16. exosket

exosket New Member

Until you get a filter, I would change 25% of the water once a day. Make sure you are adding de-chlorinator to the water before you add it in. I wouldn't worry about euthanasia of the fry..the adults will eat them if they are in the same tank. Don't be sad about losing the babies...before you know it, more babies will come!
    But, like others have said, taking your fish back to the store would be best for them until the tank cycles.
    Don't worry, we all make mistakes! This is how we learn. :)

17. permafrost

permafrost New Member

he's got the fry in a breeding net and the point is NOT to feed the fish, to reduce the waste they produce. So, euthanasia if you feel sentimental, or right in the freezer!
    guppies will breed all the time when you sort things out. So often that you'll have overpopulation issues anyway very soon. Better to keep only males in a tank that size.
    Under normal conditions 25% water change is of course better for the fish than a 50% one, still the ammonia concentration at the moment probably requires bigger water changes..

18. exosket

exosket New Member

I am just saying that I wouldn't be able to kill the fish myself. I would rather the natural 'circle of life' approach. I guess it's whatever you feel comfortable with.
    There are also filter inserts that will help you cycle the water faster and help the ammonia levels..maybe you can look into buying those as well? good luck with everything!!

19. Shadow

Activated carbon in the filter might also help to reduce ammonia level. Never use it my self, I preferred to do water change.

There are few reasons why your plant does not work that I can think of:
    1) It is adapting to new environment
    2) Your light is too low, mean plant photosynthesis is low, thus rate of ammonia intake is also low.
    3) Plant mass is not enough to take all the ammonia

20. adipnayak

adipnayak New Member

hello there thank you all for the replies
    i have bought an internal filter and the water looks a lot cleaner than before. i had to literally argue with my lfs guy to give me a filter as he still kept insisting the plants were enough

i got the filter set it up and then the today morning when i got back i see this happened to one of my female guppies:
    [​IMG]
    now i aint sure if she's sick or hurt pls help!!