1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Questions regarding Walstad method

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Mark Cruise, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Mark Cruise

Mark Cruise New Member

I'am gearing to make my 1st aquascape and I'm planning to use DIY Substrate (due to budget constraints) and during my research I came across the Walstad method I noticed the process if I'm not mistaken doesn't include the immerse method .

"Immerse Method:
    Do not fill the aquarium with water yet; cover the Nature Aquarium with stretch film to retain the moisture inside. Provide enough light for a duration of eight to ten hours a day. Watch the foreground grow for the next two months, and do not add water.
    After 2 months, beneficial bacteria will now be living inside the substrate and will be in a sufficient supply to convert excess ammonia to nitrate. At this time, you may now fill the Nature Aquarium with water. Make sure to use tepid water: icy cold water may harm the foreground plants that were planted. Do several full water changes to ensure removal of any trace of nutrients in the water column which may cause an algae bloom."

Questions:

• Can I do the Walstad method with the immerse method? Is there a disadvantages doing this?
    • What is the advantages and disadvantages of the Walstad method compared to commercially produced substrate?
    • Is the Walstad method is more susceptible to algae bloom if "immerse method" is not included?
    Thank you for your answers,

Mark

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Mark

To be honest it looks like you are about to dive into the deep end and you are only learning to swim.

I would take a step back think what you are doing and follow a known and proven method from start to finish.

Keith:):)

Mark Cruise likes this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Mark Cruise likes this.
  4. Mark Cruise

Mark Cruise New Member

@keithgh thank you for the words of wisdom really appreciate it. If I may ask in your opinion what method that is tried and tested?

@greenfinger 2 thank you for the link it is very interesting.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Mark

Its not the method at all I am only suggesting is learn all the basics first and you learn as you go along.

Keith:):)

Mark Cruise likes this.